Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2005, 01:07 PM   #1 (Print)
srs5694

Rhode Island PBS change?

I just turned on my TV and discovered that DirecTV seems to have changed PBS stations in Rhode Island. They used to carry channel 53 out of Connecticut, but now they're carrying channel 36 out of Providence. Unfortunately, this is a major step down, from a fair to a poor PBS station, IMHO. In particular, 36 doesn't carry The News Hour, which is my primary reason for watching PBS. Does anybody have any further information on this unexpected (to me) switch? Do they plan to add another PBS station to our lineup? If not, I'm going to have to rethink how I get my TV. Thanks.
srs5694 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 11:36 AM   #2 (Print)
srs5694

FWIW, I called DirecTV. The people I spoke with weren't very knowledgeable about this, but they had no information on plans to add a "real" PBS station, so it looks like those of us in Rhode Island are stuck with the poor WSBE-36. They did say that they might change matters if they get enough complaints, so please, any Rhode Islanders who read this, complain! If you call, be sure they log it as a formal complaint.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to take a $100-$200 throw of the dice on a big ugly roof antenna, pay $13/month to Cox for locals in addition to DirecTV, or switch entirely to Cox.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:07 PM   #3 (Print)
srs5694

Another update, and this one a happy one: WEDN-53 is back on DirecTV's Rhode Island feed! I got an e-mail from WEDN saying that they'd been dropped in error but that they're back, and indeed they are. The e-mail says they'll be on DirecTV through at least 2008. (I assume their current contract expires then. I presume there's a good chance it'll be extended, but I don't know that for a fact. In any event, that's some ways down the road....)
Old 12-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #4 (Print)
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Quote:
WEDN-53 is back on DirecTV's Rhode Island feed!

That is good news. Directv is no longer listing WEDN in the local Channels for Rhode Island, but glad you are getting it. I "moved" to Boston where I get 16 local channels instead of 6, including WGBH, WENH, and WGBX. Much better PBS channels than WSBE-36.

Philips DSR 7000 modified 120 hrs
TERK BMS58 Multiswitch
Harmony SST-659 Universal Remote
MRD-D1 modulators means All TiVos in All Rooms!
Rodney is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #5 (Print)
srs5694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Directv is no longer listing WEDN in the local Channels for Rhode Island, but glad you are getting it.

If you're referring to their Web site, they probably updated it when they removed WEDN but haven't yet updated it again when they added it back.