Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2005, 10:55 PM   #1 (Print)
D Killeen

Send a message via ICQ to D Killeen
A different "Do I need a phone line" question.

My newR10 is having problems. Before the warranty runs out, I called DTV, and they're sending out a new one. BUT, it could be either an R10, or R15. They won't tell me which it will be. From the posts here (thanks Ebonovic) I won't be disappointed with the R15 if that's what they send.

My question is about the R10 (apparently the R15 doesn't need a phone line at all). I know that you have to have a phone line when you set it up. My problem is that I do not have any long distance service at my house. During setup, the 10 will call an 800 number to get local numbers. None will work for me, I don't have a local number. What I do is call DTV, and tell them. Within a couple of days Tivo authorizes the use of an 800 number for daily calls. Problem is that to get the 800 number on the R10 you HAVE to make 1 long distance call. This call authorizes the use of the 800 number. As I said above, I cannot make long distance calls. To make the first R10 work, I went to the phone company and signed up for a long distance carrier. I let the R10 make it's one long distance call, and then I went back to the phone company and cancelled the long distance service again. I really don't want to have to jump through all those hoops again. What I want to do is to set up the R10 to use the closest number, get it all set up and then just pull the phone cord from it. Now it can't make calls. After 3-4 days, I'd like to take it into my office and hook up the phone line so it can make it's one call to get the daily call 800 number. I have a TV there to hook it up to so I can see the prompts. But I have no satellite inputs.

Will the R10 allow me to do that? Will it boot and make a call with no satellite inputs connected?

Thanks

ICQ 4045675
+++++++++
D Killeen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 10:38 AM   #2 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Yes, you can make the phone call without satellite connections.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 04:35 PM   #3 (Print)
Tburt

Send a message via AIM to Tburt
Make sure your office line is not a PBX (digital line) as it will fry your Tivo modem. Digital lines have a higher voltage, and while some normal modems protect themselves from PBX lines voltage I doubt the Tivos' modems do. Tivo modems seem pretty low cost.

Tburt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 09:12 PM   #4 (Print)
D Killeen

Send a message via ICQ to D Killeen
Thanks for the information. And you're right about the phones being digital. But the fax line should be ok!

David

ICQ 4045675
+++++++++
D Killeen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post