TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #1081 (Print)
Sir_whinealot
Seenyer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71
Not been able to find 50 things I want to watch yet lol. I will see if I can add a bunch of individual things tonight once i'm home and reproduce the issue.

Hey, you don't hafta wanna watch them. In the interest of science man, just see if this is a prevailing flaw in this thing.

Cuz if it is....it's a major one.

Quote:
I would like to know why it has this limit. Is there a real reason or did they just think ohhh who's ever likely to have that many?

I'm certain you could get an answer by simply calling one of the informed D* csr's.

Sharp LC-32DA5U HDTV
Hughes DSR704
Pioneer Elite 50"
Hughes HDVR2
Sir_whinealot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #1082 (Print)
cabanaboy1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWyso

Here's a thought: 50 would be OK if DirecTV got the networking fired up fairly quickly AND all the units could work together. This obviously doesn't work in a single R-15 household, but it might be something. And I am talking about a different design than the server/client scenario which we're probably a year away from.

-Chris

Chris this is exactly what i want. My wife keeps asking why we can't want shows on the UTV upstairs that are on the UTV downstairs. She knows they can't do it but keeps bugging me about. I can't wait for a true server/client DVR that i don't have to build myself that works with Directv. Plus the wife will be happy, which is always a good thing
cabanaboy1977 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 04:04 PM   #1083 (Print)
cabanaboy1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_whinealot

I'm certain you could get an answer by simply calling one of the informed D* csr's.

LOL
Old 11-16-2005, 04:08 PM   #1084 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:
Hey, you don't hafta wanna watch them. In the interest of science man, just see if this is a prevailing flaw in this thing.

Cuz if it is....it's a major one.

Informed? They hired new people and actually started giving them info?
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #1085 (Print)
mvaneps

The 50 series limit is troubling for me as well. It seemed like an outrageous number until I asked my wife how many different series we record and I was suprised to find that it was over 50.

I am having another problem that I can't figure out. Sometimes it won't set up a series record. For example, Judge Judy is on from 4-4:30 and then again from 4:30-5:00. If I set up the series record for 4-4:30 it won't seem to allow me to set up another series record on the 4:30-5:00 show. The 4:30-5:00 doesn't show up in the to do list and isn't marked to record in the guide. It seems to be a problem when 2 shows are back to back in the schedule that you can't series record them both. Any idea's? Is there something I am missing?
mvaneps is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 04:23 PM   #1086 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
I would like to know why it has this limit. Is there a real reason or did they just think ohhh who's ever likely to have that many?
Maybe they saw the complaints about manipulating a large list in SP Manager. It can take an excrutiatingly long time to rearrane the list on a TiVo. Maybe NDS "solved" the problem by not allowing the list to get too big.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:25 PM   #1087 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanaboy1977
Chris this is exactly what i want. My wife keeps asking why we can't want shows on the UTV upstairs that are on the UTV downstairs. She knows they can't do it but keeps bugging me about. I can't wait for a true server/client DVR that i don't have to build myself that works with Directv. Plus the wife will be happy, which is always a good thing
There's really no need for a server/client DVR. This isn't a business network. Peer-to-peer, which MRV gives you, would work just fine, and likely be cheaper and more reliable. At least there isn't a single point of failure.

Old 11-16-2005, 04:42 PM   #1088 (Print)
ad301

Well, I hate to even say this again, but the thing froze up on me again. I was deleting items from the prioritizer, to make room for more testing. I deleted # 49 OK, but then when I hit OK to delete on # 48, it just didn't react at all, and remained frozen. No input from either the remote or the buttons on the front of the unit had any effect. After waiting an hour, I pulled the plug and rebooted.

I'm wondering whether the preponderance of auto-records vs. series recordings in my prioritizer could be causing these problems. I have about 40 vs 10. Maybe it's too much cypherin'.

(If anyone could take the time, and is interested in investigating this, here are some of the movies which I entered, and which I know are due for showings in the next 12 days: ben hur, cellular, closer, coffee and cigarettes, cold mountain, dogville, friday night lights, i capture the castle, hidalgo, kicking and screaming, kung fu hustle, miracle, mona lisa smile, national treasure, riding giants, sahara, scarface, shopgirl, sisterhood of the, stripes, the alamo, the bourne supremacy, the butterfly effect, the human stain, the last shop, the missing, the motorcycle diaries, the village) I make no claims for the quality of any of the films.

I'm done for the day. It's been rather discouraging, to say the least. I'd really hoped that the upcoming HD DVR would be a viable replacement for my two hr10s. Right now, it sure doesn't seem like that will be the case, at least for me.
ad301 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 04:44 PM   #1089 (Print)
cabanaboy1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin L
There's really no need for a server/client DVR. This isn't a business network. Peer-to-peer, which MRV gives you, would work just fine, and likely be cheaper and more reliable. At least there isn't a single point of failure.

I'd be happy with either at this point. What's MRV?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:47 PM   #1090 (Print)
chrishiatt1973

i told you

limititint recordings to 50

somebody made a lousy box ..... directv
chrishiatt1973 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 04:55 PM   #1091 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
I'd be happy with either at this point. What's MRV?
MRV is Multi-Room Viewing allows you to watch shows from any connected TiVo in your house on any other connected TiVo. IOW, if you have a show recorded on your TiVo in the living room, you can view it on the TiVo in your bedroom.

DirecTV TiVos do not support this feature without hacking.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #1092 (Print)
allan
Resident modern nut

Here's my 2 scents:

I have over 50 SPs. At least 10 of those are dead, but I hope at least some of them will return. Maybe another 10-20 don't normally get watched, but they had some good eps, and if one of those airs, or if one of my other shows gets cancelled/postponed, I'll watch it. I don't WATCH 50 shows, but I have a choice of 50+ shows to watch. R15 will reduce that choice.

BEEP
allan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #1093 (Print)
cabanaboy1977

Quote:
MRV is Multi-Room Viewing allows you to watch shows from any connected TiVo in your house on any other connected TiVo. IOW, if you have a show recorded on your TiVo in the living room, you can view it on the TiVo in your bedroom.

DirecTV TiVos do not support this feature without hacking.

Thanks Kevin. That's exactly what i want but i don't want to mess around with hacking. I could do it but I'm a windows guy and haven't really messed around with Linux or Unix. That seems silly the DT wouldn't have turn that feature on.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:12 PM   #1094 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishiatt1973
limititint recordings to 50

somebody made a lousy box ..... directv

You have something negative to say about this box? NO WAY, who would have thought it.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #1095 (Print)
chrishiatt1973

yep

Quote:
You have something negative to say about this box? NO WAY, who would have thought it.

WAY ...........................
Old 11-16-2005, 06:12 PM   #1096 (Print)
Billy66

You're a trip Chris.

Seriously, you're a personality now that I won't forget for a long time. I've been visiting and posting here since the end 0f 1999 and you're up there now with some of my favorites.

The crazy typing and language would be enough to make you stand out for sure, but you give us more. You were seemingly sure the box would stink and then you buy not one, but 2 of them to prove you were right. You crack me up man. At the beginning I was like "Who is this guy?". Now, I'm just enjoying you.

Keep on truckin man.
Billy66 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 06:48 PM   #1097 (Print)
chrishiatt1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy66
You're a trip Chris.

Seriously, you're a personality now that I won't forget for a long time. I've been visiting and posting here since the end 0f 1999 and you're up there now with some of my favorites.

The crazy typing and language would be enough to make you stand out for sure, but you give us more. You were seemingly sure the box would stink and then you buy not one, but 2 of them to prove you were right. You crack me up man. At the beginning I was like "Who is this guy?". Now, I'm just enjoying you.

Keep on truckin man.

i was on phone with a retention guy today... 3 hours.. got 250 credit.. and listed my r15 fixes needed

always leave a mark where you been, i always say
Old 11-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #1098 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
Thanks Kevin. That's exactly what i want but i don't want to mess around with hacking. I could do it but I'm a windows guy and haven't really messed around with Linux or Unix. That seems silly the DT wouldn't have turn that feature on.
You're welcome, cabanaboy.

There are some fantastic tools out there that don't require you to know anything about Linux or Unix. The latest tool is from Gunnyman and rbautch. I'm not sure I can post the link here, so PM me for it.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #1099 (Print)
gregstud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
Setup

First Surprise.... Copy protection, right out of the gate
My camcorder stoped recording... Why: On the LCD display of my camcorder: COPY INHIBIT
I have this connected via the Analog outputs... I guess the Macrovision kicks in, even with the startup screens...
First time in 5 years of capturing video with that camera, I saw that message...
Oh well...

Thanks for the review Earl!

Hmmm...this is NOT a good sign. Have you tried any other copying devices (such as a DVD-recorder)? Not that I think the result will be different...but just checking. I like to record a lot of stuff to DVD (especially NFL games, etc... things that will undoubtedly NEVER make it to DVD unedited). This will make me think twice about getting an R15 vs. modding an older D*Tivo. I'm NOT a die-hard "must have a Tivo DVR" person...but being able to record shows to DVD is a major factor for me...
gregstud is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 08:53 PM   #1100 (Print)
fergiej
Kiss that Frog

Well, to get past the 50 autorecords, I just ran into something surprising. My ToDo list is full at 100 items ToDo. That surprised me. Anyone seen that one, or did I just miss that one in the mas of posts here? I think I read them all.

fergiej is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 08:59 PM   #1101 (Print)
Billy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstud
Thanks for the review Earl!

Hmmm...this is NOT a good sign. Have you tried any other copying devices (such as a DVD-recorder)? Not that I think the result will be different...but just checking. I like to record a lot of stuff to DVD (especially NFL games, etc... things that will undoubtedly NEVER make it to DVD unedited). This will make me think twice about getting an R15 vs. modding an older D*Tivo. I'm NOT a die-hard "must have a Tivo DVR" person...but being able to record shows to DVD is a major factor for me...

gregstud,

Your TiVo also respects Macrovision flags so that's not really at issue. The only place Earl has thus far encountered any MV flags was on the unit startup for some odd reason. If a show is flagged, the same thing will happen using your TiVo as the R15.

Just wanted to clarify that they are using the exact same copy protection schemes and if your recording device respects them then content flagged will not record.

Hope that helped.
Billy66 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 09:01 PM   #1102 (Print)
Daddyrob

R-15 and Unlisted Codes for Stereo's

I have just purchased a R15 and I am having a problem getting the RC23 remote to work with my Sherwood/Newcastle Stereo receiver. I have tried the Auto feature, and I have managed to get it to turn off, but the volume doesn't work. Any tips or secrets? I have tried all of the tips listed so far and the codes I got from DTV Customer Service only worked the power as well. Any help would be appreciated.

- Robert
Daddyrob is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 09:04 PM   #1103 (Print)
gregstud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy66
gregstud,

Your TiVo also respects Macrovision flags so that's not really at issue. The only place Earl has thus far encountered any MV flags was on the unit startup for some odd reason. If a show is flagged, the same thing will happen using your TiVo as the R15.

Just wanted to clarify that they are using the exact same copy protection schemes and if your recording device respects them then content flagged will not record.

Hope that helped.

Thanks...that's good news to hear indeed!!
gregstud is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #1104 (Print)
csigrissum

Quote:
I digress, too. I have the Onkyo TX-SR800 with Zone 2, also. I don't use zone 2 that often so I haven't tried using the Harmony for it yet. I'll have to look at the device and see what's happening.

Have you called them for help?
I have a Insignia tv which my Harmony 659 could deal with. After about an hour on the phone they tried modifying the codes that the Harmony sent-- Worked like a charm!!

csigrissum is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #1105 (Print)
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

I installed it last night, and so far so good... Im a bit concerned about this 50 block, but I have a TiVo ase well, so im not that worried...

However, my software update asked me to download, and I didnt re-do guided set up. I figured that would be worth mentioning.

My iTunes registry
Fresh new geeky Mac site, iOnMac!
tomo_kun is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 09:17 PM   #1106 (Print)
mvaneps

Holy Crud, fergiej. You are right about the to do list maxing out at 100. I think this 'might' explain my earlier post about some series simply not recording. It might just be putting my to do list over the max thus not allowing me to set up another series to record. If I asked it to record individual programs it will tell me when I get to 100 that I can't set anything else up to record. I think this will probably be the deal breaker that makes the wife pack up the r15's to ship back to VE. What a shame...
mvaneps is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 09:19 PM   #1107 (Print)
Vitor

I have similar remote, the volume is linked to the television (you can see when pressing the volume key that the TV LED flashes.

You should be able to control volume of other devices by sliding the switch to AV1 or AV2.

I also believe that there is a code to unlock the volume from the television, but I do not know the code.
Vitor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 09:40 PM   #1108 (Print)
csigrissum

Quote:

You might get an answer but I doubt it'd be right

csigrissum is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 10:06 PM   #1109 (Print)
Redux
No intent to annoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo_kun
not *every* product is great right out of the box

But when you're just copying someone else's design (with access to all their underlying intellectual property) it seems you ought to be able to get that much of it right when you've been working on it couple of years.

I agree that all the innovation, the new features that Tivo never even discussed with DTV or that were already available as hacks, might be a little rough out of the box. That's understandable and I think we should be patient for these features to work properly.

Like ... well all the numerous new features that exist for the very first time in this Murdoch box.
Redux is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 10:16 PM   #1110 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux
But when you're just copying someone else's design (with access to all their underlying intellectual property) it seems you ought to be able to get that much of it right when you've been working on it couple of years.

I agree that all the innovation, the new features that Tivo never even discussed with DTV or that were already available as hacks, might be a little rough out of the box. That's understandable and I think we should be patient for these features to work properly.

Like ... well all the numerous new features that exist for the very first time in this Murdoch box.

Ya that would be a great lawsuit to watch if Tivo found out DirecTV had misappropriated their property for use in a competing product. I can see all the lawyers drooling now I know I would be loving life if it where my case.