TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2005, 03:35 PM   #1141 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

ebonovic's Avatar

Location: Tinley Park, IL USA (SW ChicagoBurbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdoo
Earl or anyone else notice this? I already called D* about this and it looks like it's not a feature of the R15 and is only in the D10 receivers and the like. This is a neat feature and I'm wondering why it's pictured in the manual but not enabled on the R15?

Well... it is not "exactly" there.

One way to look at it is: Autotune, is just a Scheduled Recording, with out actually recording it.

So in theroy... AutoTune would just be scheduled a recording.. .with the benefit of if you are not there when it starts, you can rewind to the beginning.

__________________
- Earl (XBL: Fontano)
Favorite 05/06 TV Lines: Karma! ; Suit Up! ; Legendary.....

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 03:38 PM   #1142 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

ebonovic's Avatar

Location: Tinley Park, IL USA (SW ChicagoBurbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightslot
Hey All,

I KNOW this is NOT the place. (and I'll go where you direct me), but I need some discussion and help on the Direct TV programing on local HD. I thought that D* was supposed to have local HD programing installed THIS FALL.

ISN'T THAT CORRECT?

See the HD Forum for more details...

HD Locals are currently being piolted in Detroit area.
There is no HD-DVR yet for MPEG-4; The R15 is not MPEG-4 nor HD.

We should start to see more about HD-Locals over the next few months.

__________________

Old 11-17-2005, 03:57 PM   #1143 (Print)
jimdoo
Registered User

Location: WNY
Auto Tune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
Well... it is not "exactly" there.

One way to look at it is: Autotune, is just a Scheduled Recording, with out actually recording it.

So in theroy... AutoTune would just be scheduled a recording.. .with the benefit of if you are not there when it starts, you can rewind to the beginning.

I thought this was a feature that tuned the unit to the channel you choose in the guide at a certain time - like the older hughes boxes did. I used this with those receivers to set the unit to tune to the station at a preset time automatically in case I got busy doing something the unit jumped to that station so I wouldn't miss the progam.

__________________
JD
jimdoo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 04:04 PM   #1144 (Print)
Kanyon71
Registered User

Location: Tampa Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdoo
I thought this was a feature that tuned the unit to the channel you choose in the guide at a certain time - like the older hughes boxes did. I used this with those receivers to set the unit to tune to the station at a preset time automatically in case I got busy doing something the unit jumped to that station so I wouldn't miss the progam.

Why would you just set it up to record the show?
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #1145 (Print)
szurlo
Registered User

Location: SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad301
I ran a couple of quick searches for you. Here's what I found.

Aames, Willie: on the r10 it returned 9 programs (using actor wishlist) including 8 "Charles in Charge" and 1 "The Waltons". on the r15 it lists 5 matching programs. When you highlight one of them, it turns out to be an episode title for "Charles in Charge". "The Waltons" was not found.

Alba, Jessica: r10 returned two matches, "Honey" and "VIP Access..." on Showtime 11/19. The r15 returned a list of 14 matching programs, including 12 instances of "Sin City" on ch 174, which I have excluded from my channels list, and 2 instances of "Honey". It did not find the "VIP Access".

Also noted that Aaliyah appeared at the top of the r10 list of actors, with one matching program, while on the r15, that name does not appear.

Thanks much for doing that little test, but I have to say, the results were not very encouraging..
Maybe you still don't have complete guide data? Seems unlikely after this much time.

__________________
Steve Z
HR 212 w/TurboNet
SD DVR 40 upgraded to 120 hours /HMO etc.
szurlo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 04:30 PM   #1146 (Print)
ad301
Registered User

Well, I just gave up on my autorecord torture test. Every time I tried to do something I was getting another freeze up. So I started from the bottom of the list, and the first few were very slow to delete, the machine acting very sluggishly. But, lo and behold, when I got down to only about 35 items left in the prioritizer, suddenly it started reacting quickly to inputs, and the deletions went quickly from there. I'm now down to only 13 items, mostly series recordings, but the box is now feeling much snappier, like it ought to. So, I'm not sure whether it was the number of autorecords, or just the total number of itmes in the priuoritizer, but when I got it down to 35 and below, things seem much better.

That's all I can do for now, but I intend later to do some further testing. I'll try to fill it up just with series recordings to see if it suffers the same apparent bottleneck.

Also, for those who want to participate, I found a quick and easy way to add autorecords. Just do a find by name, highlight Aames, Willie, the first one, and set it to autorecord. Then back a couple to times, down one to the next name, and repeat. You too can fill up your prioritizer! I'd appreciate it if others could see if they get the same unfortunate results I got.
ad301 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #1147 (Print)
Billy66
Registered User

Billy66's Avatar

Seriously ad301, you might consider that you have a lemon. You are currently the only user experiencing these massive freeze ups.
Billy66 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #1148 (Print)
goony
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanaboy1977
...but i don't want to mess around with hacking. I could do it but I'm a windows guy and haven't really messed around with Linux or Unix.
Hacking is getting very, very easy thanks to some new script(s): See this thread.
goony is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 07:06 PM   #1149 (Print)
ad301
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy66
Seriously ad301, you might consider that you have a lemon. You are currently the only user experiencing these massive freeze ups.

Well, as a matter of fact I have considered that, as I've mentioned a few times here already. I've also considered the possibility that I'm the only one crazy enough, so far, to load up 40 keyword autorecords. Care to join in the fun? I've yet to see anyone report that they've done the same without any problems. If others carry out similar testing and report all is well, then obviously I'll exchange my unit for a new one.
ad301 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 07:32 PM   #1150 (Print)
Redux
No intent to annoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy66
You are currently the only user experiencing these massive freeze ups.

Source, please.
Redux is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 07:44 PM   #1151 (Print)
rstrambo
Registered User

So here is a basic question that I couldnt find find in the last 38 pages or so.

Is there a 30sec skip feature on the r15?

I am sure there isnt one "stock" but has anyone discoverd while hacking around with the remote? Sort of the way you can enable it on the regualr tivo's?
Thanks

__________________
Philips DSR 7000 (stock for now)
Harmony SST 768 Remote
rstrambo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 08:20 PM   #1152 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

Location: Elmira, NY
rstrambo- plug "30 second skip" into the "Search This Thread" feature at the top of the page and see what comes up.

__________________
SONY KDF-E42A10
HR10-250
Hughes DVR80
TCD540040 w/Lifetime, networked, upgraded to 182hrs. @ Basic

"What a fun, sexy time for you!"- George-Michael Bluth, "Arrested Development"
bidger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 08:29 PM   #1153 (Print)
Billy66
Registered User

Billy66's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux
Source, please.

I have the same information as you Redux. This thread and those at dbsforums. He is the only one that is having this issue so prevalently. Do you disagree?

I don't know if it's an issue with his unit or if it's an issue with the way he's taxing it.

You ask "Source please" like you have some knowledge it's incorrect. If you do, bring it out, if not then what's your point?

ad301, I would join the fun, but I don't have an R15 and I likely won't need to get one for now.
Billy66 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 08:47 PM   #1154 (Print)
ad301
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy66
I have the same information as you Redux. This thread and those at dbsforums. He is the only one that is having this issue so prevalently. Do you disagree?

I don't know if it's an issue with his unit or if it's an issue with the way he's taxing it.

I'm not sure either. I will say that since I deleted all the keyword autorecords, the machine seems to have stabilized. I was able to run the prioritizer back up to 50, using find>person autorecords, and I haven't had a freeze up in awhile. I can't explain it. I'm just reporting on what I'm experiencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy66
ad301, I would join the fun, but I don't have an R15 and I likely won't need to get one for now.

OK.
ad301 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 09:02 PM   #1155 (Print)
Billy66
Registered User

Billy66's Avatar

Keep us posted ad301. This experience is HUGE for the reliability factor. You've done some awesome work here uncovering some limitations. I appreciate it.

Since these threads I'm of course intrigued with the unit and want to play with it some, but I'm having a hard time justifying it to myself as I already have one more DirecTiVo than I need since I went HD, so it's hard to obsolete another one just to play around.
Billy66 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 PM   #1156 (Print)
sbmellen
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
NO PHONE CALL DURING SETUP... IN FACT, NO PHONE CALL AT ALL AS OF THIS WRITING

Hi, is this still the case with your pilot test of the R15 DirecTv DVR? I ask, because I have a DirecTv installer coming out to my house tomorrow and I have no land phone line.

Please tell me it will initialize and work OK without the phone line (convincing the installer is another thing, I suppose)!

When I got my standard DirecTv receiver over a year and a half ago, no phone line hook-up was ever needed and it has lived its happy little life without being connected to Ma Bell's evil little copper lines.

Thanks for your diligent work on testing out the R15!

Stephen
sbmellen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 09:42 PM   #1157 (Print)
eengert
Registered User

eengert's Avatar

Location: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmellen
Hi, is this still the case with your pilot test of the R15 DirecTv DVR? I ask, because I have a DirecTv installer coming out to my house tomorrow and I have no land phone line.

Please tell me it will initialize and work OK without the phone line (convincing the installer is another thing, I suppose)!

When I got my standard DirecTv receiver over a year and a half ago, no phone line hook-up was ever needed and it has lived its happy little life without being connected to Ma Bell's evil little copper lines.

Thanks for your diligent work on testing out the R15!

Stephen

It will work fine without a phone line connected. I don't have a landline phone and was able to activate the receiver and DVR functions no problem.
eengert is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 10:32 PM   #1158 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

PJO1966's Avatar

Location: Los Angeles, CA
Just finished reading this thread in its entirety. It's the first time I ever honestly considered using the ignore feature...

Thanks for your work Earl. You and the rest of the reviewers are doing a true service for the rest of us. While I'm not ready to give up my TiVo, this unit is effectively free so there's no reason it can't replace my bedroom receiver. I'm looking forward to playing and making my own observations in addition to what I've been reading here.

I've never done a rebate deal through DirecTV... how long would I expect to wait to receive it once it's been submitted?

__________________
I like how your mind works! - Anubys

Last edited by PJO1966 : 11-17-2005 at 10:40 PM.
PJO1966 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 10:52 PM   #1159 (Print)
chrishiatt1973
Registered User

wanna ignore huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
Just finished reading this thread in its entirety. It's the first time I ever honestly considered using the ignore feature...

Thanks for your work Earl. You and the rest of the reviewers are doing a true service for the rest of us. While I'm not ready to give up my TiVo, this unit is effectively free so there's no reason it can't replace my bedroom receiver. I'm looking forward to playing and making my own observations in addition to what I've been reading here.

I've never done a rebate deal through DirecTV... how long would I expect to wait to receive it once it's been submitted?

well you would be dumb to do so....

as you will see below, my huge list that everybody hates i emailed to directv on the 15th and today recieved an email from Marsocci, Robert A and my whole list is now with directv engineering to look at

so my list if good enough for him to realize was good. must contain facts
____________________________________________________________ __

From: "Marsocci, Robert A" <ramarsocci@directv.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: "c h" <chrishiatt1973@yahoo.com>

Thanks. I forwarded your e-mail to our engineering group.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:01 PM   #1160 (Print)
Billy66
Registered User

Billy66's Avatar

PJO1966,

I've gotten several rebate items from DTV and I've always gotten my rebate. Usually in about a month. As with any rebate keep copies of everything.

Some have experienced an issue with this latest rebate although mine went fine.

Who here thinks it will take the entire engineering department at DTV to understand Chris' list?

Keep fighting the good fight Chris, you crack me up.
Billy66 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 11:11 PM   #1161 (Print)
chrishiatt1973
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy66
PJO1966,

I've gotten several rebate items from DTV and I've always gotten my rebate. Usually in about a month. As with any rebate keep copies of everything.

Some have experienced an issue with this latest rebate although mine went fine.

Who here thinks it will take the entire engineering department at DTV to understand Chris' list?

Keep fighting the good fight Chris, you crack me up.

getting anyone at directv answering an email is a miracle, but when you send things that are facts and can boost their bottom line, they listen...

and engineers as is their nature can decipher my condensed version of each problem and addition the r15 and future dvr's need, if they couldn't.. then they are not true engineers
chrishiatt1973 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 11:36 PM   #1162 (Print)
GrumpyGuy
Registered User

Well, I got my R15 and we all hate it. Really miss the ability to swap between tuners and the play button is not responsive when you FF or REW. I'm going back to my old hughes Firect Tivo until they get ALL the bugs out of the R15.
GrumpyGuy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 11:52 PM   #1163 (Print)
AbMagFab
I go where Tivo goes

And this thing has only been around a week.

A couple friends have the Scientific Atlanta (one with Adelphia, one with Comcast). A couple weeks ago their "season passes" started recording the wrong thing. They couldn't figure it out.

And then they did.

The DVR couldn't handly daylight saving time. So everything was off an hour. They had to delete all their season passes and add them back.

It's amazing how crappy all these other DVR's are. The R15 looks like it has a ton of features, and a few are already breaking. And it's only been a week.

__________________
Tivo since '99, DirecTV since *96
2x SAT-T60 140G 3.1.0c2
4x SD-DVR40 250G 6.2
2x HR10 500G 3.1.5f
All-TWeb+, TyTool, caller-id

OTA HD is 100% reliable

Save me Tivo Series 3!!!!
AbMagFab is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 11:54 PM   #1164 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

ebonovic's Avatar

Location: Tinley Park, IL USA (SW ChicagoBurbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishiatt1973
well you would be dumb to do so....

as you will see below, my huge list that everybody hates i emailed to directv on the 15th and today recieved an email from Marsocci, Robert A and my whole list is now with directv engineering to look at

so my list if good enough for him to realize was good. must contain facts
..... [long list deleted]

Chris...

Have you ever emailed DirecTV before?
What kind of responses have you gotten....

The reason I ask this is... I have gotten the same type of emails back from them for the last 5 years.... (we have forwarded it onto X,Y,X)... In fact, just last night I got an unsoliceted email from DirecTV, with nearly the same working "forwarded onto the engineering department", due to a post I had ad forums.directv.com

This is not to say, in any shape or form, that your points are not valid... they are.
And I have all of your items sitting here, waiting to be added to the FAQ when I get a chance to work on it... (I have been overly swamped with work this, as one of our main sites crashed)

Your contributions have been valid and good...
To a degree, I just want you to know that at least....

__________________

Old 11-17-2005, 11:57 PM   #1165 (Print)
Kanyon71
[...]

I did these exact same searches. Willie Aames showed nothing on the Tivo and didn't even show up on the R15, Jessica Alba showed two different shows on the R15 and only 1 on the Tivo (both had multiple repeats of the same R15 came to like 28 I think), Aaliyah had Queen of the Damned on both.
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:08 AM   #1166 (Print)
Kanyon71
Registered User

Location: Tampa Fl
Chris, while many things on your list are quite valid and need to be addressed, many things are merely your preference for how YOU think things should be. Now this isn't wrong to think that everything should be how you want it but in all reality your wants on many of these things (especially the remote) are most likely not what others want. I for one have no issues with the remote, also many of your points need to be expanded on, you state them as if everyone should know what you mean, I know you said you have problems typing but the more direct and clearly stated you make this list the easier it will be to act upon your ideas. This is merely a suggestion as I think many of the things you say are good ideas in that list.
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 01:35 AM   #1167 (Print)
undecided
Registered User

Well I have had my R15 for 3 days now.

I noticed Caller ID is not working. Checked in the set up and caller ID notification is turned on. So I then tried a system test - and the phone test failed. I double checked by plugging a phone into the phone lead into the R15 - I got a dial tone. The phone wall jack is used for my DSL Modem as well as the R15 - I have a splitter and a DSL filter on the lead to the R15. This is exactly the same set up which has worked for years on a Series 1 DIRECTV TIVO (which was replaced by the R15).

So 2 questions:

1. Anyone else seeing this?
2. What happens if the R15 does not make a call over an extended period of time?
undecided is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 03:08 AM   #1168 (Print)
swaits
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy66
Seriously ad301, you might consider that you have a lemon. You are currently the only user experiencing these massive freeze ups.

No he's not. I'm experiencing them too. As soon as I got to around 40 Series Records. Didn't do anything special, was just copying all my SPs from my SAT-T60 over.

Once into the high 30's, with the To Do list maxing out (at 100, lame!) the thing became unbearably slow.

I went to delete a few things and let it sit and finally decided it was locked.

Honestly.. this software should not have been released. I expected it to at least outperform my Series ONE DTivo, but it doesn't. Just absolutely disgusting!

--Steve
swaits is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 07:19 AM   #1169 (Print)
Billy66
Registered User

Billy66's Avatar

Thanks for the additional data point Steve. Sorry that you have to be the one experiencing it. Looks like DTV has plenty of work to do.
Billy66 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 07:25 AM   #1170 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

ebonovic's Avatar

Location: Tinley Park, IL USA (SW ChicagoBurbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided