THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2004, 10:08 AM   #31 (Print)
Win Joy Jr

Re: Installation mandatory?

Quote:
Originally posted by lutton
I have a wiring closet up on my third floor, and I just need to slide the new device in. I'd rather them just ship the unit to me instead of setting up an appointment for an installer.

Will they do that?

When I ordered one via DitecTV almost a year ago, they would not ship it directly to the subscriber. They schedule up the install and the installer brings it and any needed hardware.

When the installer showed, I told him that I had already run the additional line, but I needed a multiswitch and if he wanted, just leave the stuff and I would install it myself.

It took him 3.5 seconds to say "Sure"...

He left a 3X8 multiswitch (tried for a 5x8, he said unless I had the Phase II dish, he could not do it) and the Phillips DSR7000, I signed the work order, and off he went. I moved the orginal DirecTiVo to the Bedroom, hooked up the new one, and all was good in the world...

Old 11-24-2004, 10:12 AM   #32 (Print)
FSUScotsman

Quote:
Originally posted by jschuman
I already have 2 DirecTivos with 2 lines run to each. Will the free installation include a new multiswitch to get me (at least) 2 more runs of cable? I currently have the oval dish that came with a 4x4 multiswitch.

Thanks.

They did for me, as I had three rooms with two runs each wired. I also asked the tech about running a cable at some point so I could have a receiver on my deck. He showed me how to do it out of the switch. Just a super guy. It took extra time because he was training a newbie, but I sure didn't mind.
FSUScotsman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-24-2004, 10:14 AM   #33 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by disco
I usually give them the best "setup" possible by running wires, making sure the area is clear for him/her to access. I agree with Rcrew: that's my tip - help.

Great minds think alike! Or maybe it's because we were born on the same day?
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-24-2004, 10:17 AM   #34 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
I already have 2 DirecTivos with 2 lines run to each. Will the free installation include a new multiswitch to get me (at least) 2 more runs of cable? I currently have the oval dish that came with a 4x4 multiswitch.

Thanks.

My question exactly, my setup exactly. I don't recall hearing much about free 2x6 switches though. 2x4 freebees are pretty common. Time to hit Kevin's multi-switch FAQ.

I wonder if run of the mill 2x4 switches are cascadable? So if this package only comes with another free 2x4, could we cascade them and get what we need?
Old 11-24-2004, 12:58 PM   #35 (Print)
Philly Bill
Outsider :)

Send a message via AIM to Philly Bill Send a message via Yahoo to Philly Bill
Quote:
Originally posted by walTerWT
Is tipping part of the normal course of installation?

Having worked in service for years, I always tip service guys.

I know most won't agree with me, but I usually just figure the best will happen and if the guy seems decent and friendly enough when I greet him I usually slip him something up front... saying 'when you're done, go buy yourself some lunch... on me'.

I don't even wait to see if they'll do an 'exceptional' job. I just tip them up front and 99 times out of 100 they appreciate it and go beyond the call of duty. If nothing else, it ensures they'll be extra careful moving that new washing machine or refigerator into my house. Sure... if they ding the walls I can complain to the store... but the walls are still dinged. By tipping in advance I'm buying not having to deal with any 'accidents'.

I've been burned a couple times, but for the most part I always get exceptional service... and the guy usually goes out of his way to do the 'extra' that isn't required.
Philly Bill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-24-2004, 01:04 PM   #36 (Print)
cw_racefan

Just ordered mine, and according to the CSR:

Installation includes running up to 125' of cable through 1 wall. Asked him about the multiswitch, he said if an upgraded switch is required, it is included also.

All told with tax/etc ended up being $67.
cw_racefan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-24-2004, 01:10 PM   #37 (Print)
walTerWT
Um, I wonder how man

ok good thoughts on tipping.. thanks for that.

As for 67.00 total- that is what I was told as well- 49.99 plus something around 14.00 for tax/shipping...and a no brainer for me.

Man am I glad I called...wheeee!!! I fear I have become a tivo-addict (tm)

My Diatribe
walTerWT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-24-2004, 01:12 PM   #38 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by walTerWT
I fear I have become a tivo-addict (tm)

Fear no more, you're there!

Just embrace it!
Old 11-24-2004, 01:35 PM   #39 (Print)
DallasTIVO

Re: Installation mandatory?

Quote:
Originally posted by lutton
I have a wiring closet up on my third floor, and I just need to slide the new device in. I'd rather them just ship the unit to me instead of setting up an appointment for an installer.

Will they do that?

Nope, I just ordered this deal next week. I told the CSR that I really, really, really didn't need anyone to "install" it for me, because I already have all the wiring, multi-switch etc. She said, if I didn't want the installation I could go buy one at BestBuy. I think it's just so they don't take any chances, and they know that before the installer leaves everything is working. How can they tell over the phone that you're not a schlub who just thinks he doesn't need help?
DallasTIVO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-26-2004, 10:00 AM   #40 (Print)
RobHT

Do any of the DirecTivos come with RF remotes?
RobHT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-27-2004, 05:45 PM   #41 (Print)
LightCC

I don't think anyone mentioned a few add'l details earlier:

1. This comes with a 1 year commitment to DirecTV
2. This runs through the end of December
3. One promotion like this per account every 6 months

That all according to the CS person. Incidentally, they cannot order TIVO store items (wanted to order a serial cable at the same time) from that dept. There is also no clear phone menu option to get to the right person. I went into the 'questions about an existing order' option and it was the right dept.
LightCC is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2004, 01:18 PM   #42 (Print)
walTerWT
Um, I wonder how man

OK, so at 930 AM on Saturday, they arrived, the ran another cable, plugged in the unit, activated it and away I went.

I tipped the guys with a couple of pocket knives that we give away at work for advertising... they are pretty nice little gifts and they were happy, and so was I.

By that evening I was recording 4 shows with no end in sight.

I wish to thank this community for turning me into a TiVoAddict (tm)...

I have now embraced it...if you can't beat 'em...

My Diatribe
walTerWT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2004, 02:18 PM   #43 (Print)
Rcrew

I'm so close to pulling the trigger.

If I did it, I'd have the cables already run, and waiting for a replacement multi-switch.

Not sure if I'd be able to con the installer into subbing in a 2x6 switch though.

I think the only thing holding me back is the scorn I keep getting from the GF about having 3 DTiVos... Heck, I already have a brand new 80gb drive I could swap in!
Old 11-29-2004, 05:50 PM   #44 (Print)
TooMuchTV
Excitable Member

I just got this deal installed on Saturday. Called DTV and told them I heard about a $99 deal with a $50 rebate. They said that was for new customers but they could credit my account $50 instead. You HAVE to get professional installation for some reason. No problem, it's free. The installer came out 3 days later, ran a second cable to one room and replaced my 2x4 switch with a 2x8 switch, set up the Tivo, programmed the remote and everything. All for $49.99.

HDVR2 - 40 hours
TooMuchTV is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2004, 07:50 AM   #45 (Print)
disco
stayin' alive.

Send a message via ICQ to disco Send a message via AIM to disco Send a message via MSN to disco Send a message via Yahoo to disco
Well, my TiVo count is up to an all-time high for me: two! (hey, at one point I was down to ZERO!) The installer came yesterday and seemed to be very ill prepared. I ran 75 feet of RG6 (it's all I had laying around) underneath the floor from the bedroom back to the garage (where the new line would be coming in). I even wired in a phone line for the room. My problems began when the installer needed to borrow (a) a pair of pliers, (b) an RG6 crimper, and (c) two RG6 ends. Needless to say, he did not receive a tip. And he's lucky that I bought two pair of RG6 ends since he miscrimped the first one and had to re-do it. He said he's never even heard of RG6.

Experts: what's preferred? RG59 or RG6?

Old 11-30-2004, 10:32 AM   #46 (Print)
dwight

RG6 is what you want for the sat signal - it has less loss over distance than RG59.

Dwight

TiVo Hackers - DON'T LET IT CALL THE MOTHERSHIP!
dwight is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2004, 11:59 AM   #47 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by TooMuchTV
...and replaced my 2x4 switch with a 2x8 switch,... All for $49.99.

OMG the UMF is almost unbearable!!!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:55 PM   #48 (Print)
jschuman

I just wanted to report back to the forum that I jumped on this deal.
Everything is as stated by others. I actually ended up getting a new dish with a 3x8 multiswitch + the DirecTivo - and the install was free.

Obviously I haven't seen any charges on my Directv bill yet, but we were assured that everything was $50 + $15 handling fee.

Thanks for the heads up!
jschuman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2004, 04:26 PM   #49 (Print)
Tomaroosky

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomaroosky
Quote:
I just wanted to report back to the forum that I jumped on this deal.
Everything is as stated by others. I actually ended up getting a new dish with a 3x8 multiswitch + the DirecTivo - and the install was free.

Obviously I haven't seen any charges on my Directv bill yet, but we were assured that everything was $50 + $15 handling fee.

Thanks for the heads up!

How did you get a new dish out of the deal?
Tomaroosky is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2004, 04:48 PM   #50 (Print)
jschuman

Well, it was sort of a "downgrade". My currently installed dish was one of the oval dishes that could pick up programming from 2 satellites. The installer did not have a multiswitch with him that could be used with this dish (I'm guessing he just didn't have any 5x8s - since that is what would have been needed). So instead he installed a new dual lnb dish and gave me the 3x8 multiswitch that he did have.

Since we never watch anything that is on the secondary satellite (and don't plan on getting HDTV for a while) this seemed like a good solution.

Did I make a mistake in 'accepting' this solution? The installer mentioned that I had an "old" dish. Is this true?
jschuman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 05:10 PM   #51 (Print)
jeff.wright

I'm weighing all of the options of buying the Hughes receiver from DTV with this deal or at Best Buy/Circuit City.

If I purchase a unit from a retail store, does anyone know if I still have to sign a 1 year commitment to DTV because of the change in my service plan? I'd like to get it in as soon as possible and don't really care to wait around for an installer.
jeff.wright is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 06:22 PM   #52 (Print)
hyde76

Send a message via Yahoo to hyde76
AFAIK, the 1 year commitment still applies from any store, Brick and Mortar or internet. Doesn't matter. You're not getting service for the device from the retailer. You get service from DTV and they require the commitment.
hyde76 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 06:53 PM   #53 (Print)
Glen Graham
Senior Moment

So, I'm ordering my 2nd TiVo as we speak. I've been wanting something upstairs in the new HT for a while... hopefully the signal will look at least OK on my Panny 700 projector (theater is mainly for DVD).

Unfortunately, they would not give me any deal to upgrade to HD for the theater

Still, can't beat the ~$67 price!

Whatever I can pry loose... is not nailed down!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:01 PM   #54 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Well, it was sort of a "downgrade". My currently installed dish was one of the oval dishes that could pick up programming from 2 satellites. The installer did not have a multiswitch with him that could be used with this dish (I'm guessing he just didn't have any 5x8s - since that is what would have been needed). So instead he installed a new dual lnb dish and gave me the 3x8 multiswitch that he did have.

Since we never watch anything that is on the secondary satellite (and don't plan on getting HDTV for a while) this seemed like a good solution.

Did I make a mistake in 'accepting' this solution? The installer mentioned that I had an "old" dish. Is this true?
If you need two satellites I think you may be in trouble, but if all you need is 101 you should be OK.
willardcpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 07:01 PM   #55 (Print)
hyde76

Send a message via Yahoo to hyde76
This is better. Been a DTV customer for 5 years. Wanted to take advantage of the deal and get the family TiVo's for the holidays but wanted to wire up their house so they could drop their cable. Retention gave me at $49 TiVo plus, at no extra charge, 2 more regular recievers and two more access cards (I paid for one, they paid for one) for the 2 recievers I was giving him. He gets 5 receivers including 1 Tivo and the whole house wired for the grand total of $89. I used retention because nowhere is mentioned getting regular receivers too for existing customers. This was phenomenal, IMO. Installation on the 18th of Dec. too good.
hyde76 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2004, 03:08 PM   #56 (Print)
Dkerr24
Lost in Grand Canyon

I did the same deal. Picked up a second Direct Tivo unit for bedroom. They brought out a Samsung 4040 unit. Pulled out the 40gb WD hard disk, used mfsbackup/mfsrestore and used a 160gb Maxtor drive that I picked up for $40. Now have 120 hours recording time on that unit. The new hard drive is slightly louder (7200rpm), but works great.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:21 AM   #57 (Print)
hawkbug

Ok, great, but....

Question: let's say you did this, and are perfectly happy with the current video quality... then along comes Mr. FCC and they mandate that HDTV has to be broadcast and everybody with a standard receiver, DVRs included like these, must upgrade. Didn't the FCC already pass a mandate such as this, and what wil happen to tivos like these once this happens??
hawkbug is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 04:28 AM   #58 (Print)
Rcrew

Re: Ok, great, but....

Quote:
Originally posted by hawkbug
Didn't the FCC already pass a mandate such as this, and what wil happen to tivos like these once this happens??

Can't answer your specific legislative question, but I don't see any way the FCC could or would pass legislation that would obsolete the massive numbers of devices in use today.

There is even a new SD DTiVo, the R10 about to be released. There's just too much hardware in use, and too much in the pipe to believe an FCC rule would make them obsolete.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #59 (Print)
Fezmid

Re: Ok, great, but....

Quote:
Originally posted by hawkbug
Question: let's say you did this, and are perfectly happy with the current video quality... then along comes Mr. FCC and they mandate that HDTV has to be broadcast and everybody with a standard receiver, DVRs included like these, must upgrade. Didn't the FCC already pass a mandate such as this, and what wil happen to tivos like these once this happens??

The FCC mandate is that everything be broadcast in *digital,* not HD. All DirecTV is already (obviously) digital, so no problems.

CW
Fezmid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 12:30 PM   #60 (Print)
joeysmith

weaknees is running their own sale for $99 but you get a 70 hr unit and not the 40 hour one. i'm getting one but now have to do a cable run for the second receiver in the unit...
joeysmith is offline Report Bad Post Report Post