Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2004, 12:08 PM   #1 (Print)
gof

Impending Drive Failure?

I've got an old philips series 1 (won it during the TiVo 'tell us a story and we'll give you a TiVo' contest some years back ). I replaced the original 13GB drive with a 60GB a few years back, but no other mods.

Lately I've noticed a number of "stutters" or pauses during playback. Is this likely to be an immenent drive failure? Does TiVo monitor SMART status, and does it report it in any way if it does (would be a cool feature). Yes, I'm trying to avoid taking the TiVo off line long enough to test it. It's currently loaded with toddler content so I want to proactively preserve the contents.

I checked the temp and it typically runs in the 39C-44C range (normal).

If it is likely a drive failure (which would be confirmed with a utility upon pull), what is the current best recommendation for a stable but quiet large drive? From my brief review of state of the art, it looks like the 137GB limit is still in force for those who don't want to rick an automatic update crashing our boxes.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:31 PM   #2 (Print)
scarabus
GOLD MEMBER

What are your stutters like? I've got a similar issue with my SAT-T60, which I'd hoped was just a temperature issue, but your box's temperature is much lower than mine.

As I said in the other thread, on my box playback pauses for a second or more, then resumes, then maybe a second later it skips a bit and often the picture breaks up temporarily. But if I go back and replay the video at that point it will play OK.

It's doing that at least every 5 minutes, often more frequently than that.

scarabus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-24-2004, 01:19 PM   #3 (Print)
Robert S

If the stutters are the same (or similar) each time you play through the affected section, then this is a bad block and not really a major cause for concern - if you don't delete the recordings that contain them, you can just ignore them. Bad blocks make it a bit harder to copy the drive, but the are detected by the diagnostics and can even be repaired by the diagnostics.

If the stutters are pervasive, and in different places each time, then the drive electronics are failing (or the MPEG-2 decoder is over heating, which is fairly rare, but looks exactly the same). The diagnostics often do not detect this problem, but it's usually possible to copy drives with this problem without any special measures.

There are some SMART utilities for TiVo, but I doubt they'll help much.

And software updates? On Series 1 stand alones?

Old 05-24-2004, 01:43 PM   #4 (Print)
scarabus
GOLD MEMBER

In my case it's pervasive and different.
I'll pull it out of the cabinet and see if better cooling fixes the problem.

scarabus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-24-2004, 02:00 PM   #5 (Print)
gof

In my case it's not really pervasive, but it keeps showing up in my Enterprise recordings (the only thing I have space for myself due to all the Dora and Wiggles recordings )

This might be a good excuse to get a new big drive (again a request for recommendations, for OR against!) and perhaps a cache card. What's the state of the art on >137GB these days. Have most of the kinks been worked out for the old Series 1 boxes? To me, a single large drive is likely to be the perfect fit if possible (from a cost and heat standpoint). I'm a bit cautious on a large drive due to memory limitations (16MB in the series 1) but I understand the cache card can help this out a lot?

BTW: Is there a way to check to see if I'm "grandfathered" in my ability to transfer my lifetime sub from this older unit to a newer one? I could justify the cost upgrade due to the cheaper networking (and the newer series 2 offer the home media option).

PS: I did a search for "SMART Diagnostics" with no success. Any pointers to the SMART hacks that run on the TiVo? Be nice to have the drive tell me it's starting to have chest pains

Old 07-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #6 (Print)
wsand70

Send a message via ICQ to wsand70
Had some thunder bumpers on the way so I put my TiVo 1 into sleep/standby mode and sure enough the power bumped all the clocks in the house. TiVo woke up too but wasn't watching as the TV was off. Watched myth busters fine last night afterword but this morning my wife showed me how it was continuously locking up and during play the video was stuttering and pausing with screen breakup. Will check out temps and payback replication later. Worst case, I still have the original drive.

gof, they will let you transfer to new TiVo's one time they tell me.

Old 07-02-2004, 01:39 PM   #7 (Print)
ADent

If you got lifetime before Jan 2000 then you get a one time transfer.

The stopples are almost certainly the drive (or something you can fix). So live with it or replace the drive.

I have killed 5 drives in 4 TiVos - TiVo is very hard on drives and the drives you buy are not designed for 24/7/365 read/write use.

On at least two units with stopples the drive SW from Maxtor did not find anything wrong. But replacing one of those fixed the problem (the other isn't too bad, so I left it alone for now). Three other Maxtors replaced under warranty.
ADent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post