THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2005, 07:59 AM   #61 (Print)
MattBeckwith
FP Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin
So that's why Lex became the world's greatest supervillain? He can't handle the pain of losing someone?

What the heck ever happened to just being pure evil?!

Lex's innate goodness is the best thing about the TV show. In fact, his is the most interesting character.

What made his part of this episode ridiculous, though, is his father.

By the way, he needs to cut his hair short.

In fact, all of the parents in Smallville are irritating. I guess that's the way our kids see us. :-)
MattBeckwith is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-18-2005, 08:02 AM   #62 (Print)
MattBeckwith
FP Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba
And Zod save me from these "special Xmas" episodes whose conceit is that Santa is real.

By the way, James Marsters was really disappointing. I was expecting his Zod to be similar to Spike in Buffy. Is he British and just feigning an American accent in Smallville? I guess he wants to show his range, but he wasn't even remotely evil.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #63 (Print)
MattBeckwith
FP Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000
I'm also in the minority who actualy liked this episode. I'm a sucker for the "It's a Wonderful Life" type plots.

I liked a few things about it, such as the possibility that Lex could get Lana. I think this is true, if he were to give up his duplicity.

It also implies that his turning evil is a logical choice. In fact, this is the American Way--to forsake ethics to get rich and powerful. (The REAL American way, in ironic contradistinction to Superman's.)

The fact that Santa Claus was real was a nice twist, not silly at all in my opinion.

I didn't really find believable Lex's dealings with the gang type, though. He hasn't yet shown himself to be really evil, and this is a really evil thing. After all, he told him to do whatever it takes, which could include such things as raping Martha Kent to discourage Jonathan from running.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #64 (Print)
Eight47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBeckwith
By the way, James Marsters was really disappointing. I was expecting his Zod to be similar to Spike in Buffy. Is he British and just feigning an American accent in Smallville?

He was born in California.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551346/
Eight47 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-18-2005, 09:20 AM   #65 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight47
He was born in California.

And I've seen Brits say his English accent isn't very good...

Old 12-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #66 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
And he wasn't Zod, he was Brainiac. Right? Or did I misread something a while back?

Old 12-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #67 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023
And he wasn't Zod, he was Brainiac. Right? Or did I misread something a while back?

You are correct.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:53 PM   #68 (Print)
MattBeckwith
FP Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023

Yeah, I remember now, he was a disciple of Zod, not Zod himself.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:32 AM   #69 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
I liked this episode, but I was confused about the timeline. I thought that Lex was in control of Luthercorp now, or at least the mansion. Doesn't he have anything in his name? So I couldn't figure out if the scars in his dream were from the "real" shooting and the dream stuff was taking place seven years later. The election stuff made me think that was the case, but nobody looked seven years older, and I didn't think that Lionel was able to financially cut off Lex in the first place.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #70 (Print)
jschuur
TV-holic

Send a message via ICQ to jschuur
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff125va
I liked this episode, but I was confused about the timeline. I thought that Lex was in control of Luthercorp now, or at least the mansion. Doesn't he have anything in his name?

I always thought that Lex ran 'LexCorp', a smaller off spring off of his father's LuthorCorp. If that's the case, perhaps he just runs it, but doesn't own it outright. Although I thought I remembered plenty of cases where it seemed like Lionel didn't have any control over Lex' company.

In the comics, the whole thing is called 'LexCorp', I'm guessing because there was no Lionel/Lex duality.

Then again, with a special Christmas episode like this one, maybe we should go easy on the nitpicking, because it's not considered fully canon.

"There's too many forensics shows on TV." - Gil Grissom
jschuur is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #71 (Print)
Stormspace
Disruptive Influence

Send a message via AIM to Stormspace
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuur
I always thought that Lex ran 'LexCorp', a smaller off spring off of his father's LuthorCorp. If that's the case, perhaps he just runs it, but doesn't own it outright. Although I thought I remembered plenty of cases where it seemed like Lionel didn't have any control over Lex' company.

In the comics, the whole thing is called 'LexCorp', I'm guessing because there was no Lionel/Lex duality.

Then again, with a special Christmas episode like this one, maybe we should go easy on the nitpicking, because it's not considered fully canon.

As long as we are picking nits it seems to me that none of the shows or movies are considered canon. Only the items in print are considered to be so, and for good reason since the creative controllers behind superman make the print version as opposed to other genre shows where the creative controllers make the video versions.

For instance, in most of the Superman movies Lex is a bumbling fool portrayed by Gene Hackman, while in the TV shows, Lois and Clark/Smallville Lex is a corporate titan and a force to be reckoned with. In the comics he's been remade so many times either or both of these could be true of Lex though the current path tends to have him as a wealthy industralist.

w/linksys WUSB11 USB Adapter
Galleon 2.1 on 260GB WIN2000

"No daddy, it's a 181 hour tivo" - Margaret
Stormspace is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 03:19 PM   #72 (Print)
yaddayaddayadda

Send a message via AIM to yaddayaddayadda Send a message via Yahoo to yaddayaddayadda
I hate to admit it, but I kind of liked this episode. Even if it was a complete ripoff of the 'turn to evil' used in Star Wars

Old 12-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #73 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
I'm not even talking about consistency with the broader Superman mythos, just within Smallville. It's been my impression for a while that Lex was running things at Luthercorp and that the mansion was "his." It clearly seemed that he had enough personal assets that he wouldn't have had to live on a budget at any point in his life - he didn't seem to need his father's permission to pay off the Kent's farm, for example.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 04:00 PM   #74 (Print)
Stormspace
Disruptive Influence

Send a message via AIM to Stormspace
Yeah, I do see an inconsistency with that. We were left with the impression that Lionel lost everything during his unfortunate institutionalization. We haven't been told that the situation had changed.

Of course the whole thing about lex turning good could have been a result of him divesting himself of those ill gotten gains and helping people with the funds leaving him in a much sorrier state. He might have had plenty to live on, just not enough to live in the same lifestyle as before.

w/linksys WUSB11 USB Adapter
Galleon 2.1 on 260GB WIN2000

"No daddy, it's a 181 hour tivo" - Margaret
Stormspace is offline Report Bad Post Report Post