Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2005, 02:25 PM   #1 (Print)
DivotMaker

New to DirecTv, Couple of Questions

After several calls to D* and speaking to many different CSR's, I gave up on getting any consistent help and starting searching the net for answers and came across this site. Just wanted to say how great this site is and see if I could throw out a couple of questions that will clearly show how much of a noob I am to all this...

1) I haven't subscribed yet, but I'm trying to decide on the right package (HD/Non-HD). Currently, I have a standard TV, but I have my eye on the Sony 32" (KLV-S32A10) at Costco. If I get the LCD, do I have to/should I go with the HD DVR package from D*? From what I've read in some other posts, it seems like folks are having some PQ issues with LCD's and D*, and I'm trying to figure out if the HD DVR package changes that or if it only affects the HD shows and I'd still have the PQ issues with non-HD shows.

2) We're going to have a 2 room setup. I'd like to be able to watch recorded TV from both rooms, and from what I've been told, I will need two DVR's for this to happen. Should I buy the second non-HD DVR from D* for $99 or get it elsewhere? Just trying to figure out if it makes a difference in terms of installation.

Thanks for any help, and I look forward to being a part of this great community.
DivotMaker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:29 PM   #2 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

The PQ is very very good on the HD package.. not as good as it should be, but it still outstanding. Even on LCD's. A lot depends on the specific LCDs and individual programs.

The bigger question for you is... do you want to spend the $10.99 on the HD package for what it gives you..

#2... Well.. If you get two DVRs... you can only watch what you recorded on that specific recroder. None of the DirecTV DVRs support networking (natively) between the two units so if Unit A records it... unit B can watch it.

Only thing close (short of hacks) would to use an RF remote and run a split output from DVRA to room b.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:45 PM   #3 (Print)
DivotMaker

Thanks Earl for the quick reply! I just got the go ahead from my wife for the Sony 32", (all of her chick flicks will be on a bigger screen, so she's happy). Am I going to see that much of a difference between the HD and non-HD packages so that the extra $10.99 a month is justified? I wish there was some place I could go to see them side by side!

One last thing...If I'm considering getting the second DVR unit at a later date, does the installer need to know when everything is hooked up the first time?

Thanks again.
Jason
Old 12-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #4 (Print)
Charlutz

What Earl is saying is that the $10.99 gets you Discovery, Universal HD, ESPN, ESPN2, HDNet and HDNet movies. If you don't watch those, you might want to save the money. Local HD is still picked up with an antenna (the HD tivo has two built in OTA HD tuners to get these signals) for most markets. D* is currently rolling out HD via satellite, but I don't know when Sacramento is scheduled to get it. I do know that there won't be an HD DVR that will be able to receive HD locals via satellite for some time (likely June 06 or so) because it uses MPEG4 encoding, while the current HD tivo does MPEG2. LIkely, you'll get 6 months of the HD pack for free, so you can try it out and get an idea of what you'd get for the 11 bucks.
Charlutz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #5 (Print)
Nfuego
Finally-My ugly mug

If I were doing it, I would have the installer run TWO lines to every place you are having lines run.

I had two lines run everywhere but one, and now regret it because we have moved receivers and now could use two lines where we only have one.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:35 PM   #6 (Print)
DivotMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlutz
What Earl is saying is that the $10.99 gets you Discovery, Universal HD, ESPN, ESPN2, HDNet and HDNet movies. If you don't watch those, you might want to save the money. Local HD is still picked up with an antenna (the HD tivo has two built in OTA HD tuners to get these signals) for most markets. D* is currently rolling out HD via satellite, but I don't know when Sacramento is scheduled to get it. I do know that there won't be an HD DVR that will be able to receive HD locals via satellite for some time (likely June 06 or so) because it uses MPEG4 encoding, while the current HD tivo does MPEG2. LIkely, you'll get 6 months of the HD pack for free, so you can try it out and get an idea of what you'd get for the 11 bucks.

Thanks Charlutz...I don't need the $10.99 package then if that's all I'm gaining...

ebonovic said "The PQ is very very good on the HD package." Sorry for a dumb question, but on my Sony LCD, will there a PQ difference in the show I'm watching between the HD and non-HD receiver? I know there would on an HD show, but what about your regular old non-HD shows? Just trying to determine if I really need to spend $400 for the HD DVR or if the free system will be fine.

Update: I just called the local Magnolia Audio/Video store, and the rep said that D* has MPG4 tuners now that take care of any problems on the LCD screen in terms of quality. Time for more research!

Last edited by DivotMaker : 12-30-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:01 PM   #7 (Print)
rlj5242

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
will there a PQ difference in the show I'm watching between the HD and non-HD receiver? I know there would on an HD show, but what about your regular old non-HD shows? Just trying to determine if I really need to spend $400 for the HD DVR or if the free system will be fine.
SD will look the same on any receiver you buy. For example TNT looks the same on my 4 year old DirecTivo as it does on my new HD DirecTivo. About half of my Season Passes are for HD shows so it is worth it to me to get the HD pack, put up an antenna and pay the extra money for the HR10-250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Update: I just called the local Magnolia Audio/Video store, and the rep said that D* has MPG4 tuners now that take care of any problems on the LCD screen in terms of quality. Time for more research!
MPEG4 won't change anything on standard def shows.

-Robert
rlj5242 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #8 (Print)
SeattleCarl

D* is just now starting the rollout of MPEG4. It is currently available only in a few cities. It will probably be much later this year before it is widely available, and it will require a new dish and new receiver. What it will give you, once it is available in your area, are your local stations in HD. Currently, D* has very limited HD as noted by another poster.
-
As for the PQ of SD on newer TV's, many have said that once you adjust the settings properly (sharpness, brightness, etc.), SD from D* is acceptable on most new tv's.
-
I did an a/b (switching back and forth) comparison between SD from DirecTV and SD from cable (both analog and digital channels), on a Samsung 52" DLP HD TV, and D* looked better than cable (Comcast) on every SD channel. Obviously it did not compare with HD. That's one persons opinion doing one test.
-
Carl
SeattleCarl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 09:19 PM   #9 (Print)
DivotMaker

Hi Carl, and thanks for your reply. I ended up calling D* back, and they said if I ordered, I'd get an H20 receiver (I'm assuming that's the same as MPEG4). They also said for an extra $50, I would get an extra antenna that would allow me to get local HD. Another user here suggested going to Radio Shack for the antenna as the D* antenna isn't the greatest.