July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2005, 06:13 AM   #1 (Print)
Darren Skidmore

Send a message via ICQ to Darren Skidmore
Smile TiVo Hangs Occasionally

First of all I have looked through the forum but cannot find a situation exactly the same as mine.

Basically I have a TiVo that I have recently (6 Months ago) bought a new 120Gb Hard Drive with TiVoWeb pre-installed. (Set to mode 0)

Just recently it will stop responding even though it is still running in such a way that the remote wont do anything and I cannot access it via the ip address. Sometime, even though it isnt responding it will still record happily and switch channels etc.

I have checked for other remotes interfering as suggested on other threads bur that isn't the problem.

If I pull the power lead out and reconnect it will boot up fine and work without any problems for days and somethimes weeks.

The temperature is not above the norm so I don't think it is that.

I have a cachecard but I do not have any memory in it. Could this be the problem that it is running low on memory or something.

It is more of an inconvienience than anything but I know it will happen one day just before I go on holiday for two weeks!!

Also I am worried it might be the start of something worse.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Darren
Darren Skidmore is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 02:31 AM   #2 (Print)
Darren Skidmore

Bump.

Has anybody encountered this problem please even if you don't have a solution.

Many Thanks
Old 10-06-2005, 02:35 AM   #3 (Print)
Fozzie

No need to bump. after less than a day. Not everyone reads the board daily. If someone can help, they will
Fozzie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 03:50 AM   #4 (Print)
Ian_m

I had a similar problem, TiVo hung on 2nd day of two week holiday, nothing recorded after that. Nothing in the logs, just normal entries then nothing.

Did the same again once or twice. A month or two later the 4 year old 80GB drive A died !!!

Since drive replacement been fine, been up for 204hours now.

If you have telnet (and installed SMARTCTL) you can view the drive error logs via

/var/hack/bin/smartctl -a /dev/hda

I did this about 20mins before my drive died and apart from 32,000hours power on time reported no error, so SMART is not the be all and end all of failing drives.

Also could be the PSU, failing PSU's have been known to cause hangs. Spares can be got from various sources for about £10.
Ian_m is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 04:45 AM   #5 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

If the TiVo returns to working normally without any intervention then it's probably just trying to sort something out. Corruption in the database could potentially cause overheads.

If things are just slowing down because the database is getting full then, yes, fitting RAM to your cachecard could potentially speed things up. However, I see 'pauses' like this (although only for a minute or so) on my main TiVo with CC + RAM from time to time, so it's not going to be a complete solution.

Have you tried running mfscheck?

blindlemon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 08:15 AM   #6 (Print)
cyril

TiVo is in general VERY VERY reliable, except when it comes to the hard drive. Whenever I get intermittent errors, hanging and/or reboots it is always the hard drive that is just about to die (usually within a day or two). If it is just a bad sector the drive usually works for a few more months and then dies.

I lost 3 hard drives in the last 2 months out of my TiVo and PC collection, though they were about 3 or 4 years old on average.

You may have a bad sector on the disk which whenever accessed causes a hang.

How long has the TiVo been 'stuck' for?
The UK TiVo has a slow processor so if it is doing a heavy database operation it may appear to hang, so if you leave it for a few minutes it will come back to life.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:45 PM   #7 (Print)
Darren Skidmore

Hi Cyril.

Once the TiVo is stuck it is stuck until I reboot although it is not stuck as such because it will still play on the channel it is on and record etc, it will just ignore remote presses amd internet access.

The drive is relatively new (About 6 months old).

I bought it from the great Bindlemon all preconfigured

Thanks for the advice though.

Darren.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #8 (Print)
schwinn

I have seen the same issue on my S1 hacked/sized unit. I believe it has to do with TW or TWP or maybe Endpad. I have recently switched from TW to TWP to see if that resolves the issue, but it froze on my again after about 1 month of running.

During the last time, I tried to see if something was hung, with ps ax, but found nothing unusual.

Did you find out any solutions to this issue?
schwinn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:48 AM   #9 (Print)
ericd121
Crown Topper

Huh. My Tivo (No. 2) stopped responding to the remote this morning during playback of last night's ITV2 show Comedy Awards after show party.

My other Tivo was responding fine.

Try my Lovely TiVoWeb Themes and my HackMan ImageSets
ericd121 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 05:18 AM   #10 (Print)
Heuer

Just had my hacked TiVo freeze twice, then lost the hack directory, then had GSOD twice. I was still able to watch my recordings (all of them!) and then installed a new Samsung. Ran HUTIL on the old disk and found one LBA with a "Data is uncorrectable" error. Even a low level format failed to correect it.

So a single block failure can trash the disk. With new ones at £60 it is always worth keeping a spare TiVo ready disk in a drawer.