TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.

Forum Jump
Old 12-29-2005, 12:24 AM   #1 (Print)
Nero and burning DL DVD+R

Anybody know how to burn a dual-layer (8.6 GB) DVD+R using Nero Vision Express 3? I have a compatible burner (Sony DVD Direct) and it came with a bunch of Nero software including NVE3. However, I can only get the progress bar to support a 4.3 GB disk burn; i.e. I cannot specify that my media is dual layer and thus I have the capacity to burn double the usual amount of data. At least, I cannot find anywhere how to change this if it is possible. There are no Help topics from within Nero, the users manual, or their website. Anybody know how to do this? Like I said, I have a burner capable of burning DL, and I have already bought Fuji DL media. Thanks for any help.... I am a newbie and quite overwhelmed at all this stuff.
jsjurek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 01:46 AM   #2 (Print)
I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that the version of NVE that you are using does not support DL format media. You will probably need to upgrade to a later version. I use NVE 6 with does support this DL burning. The latest version is 7, so you are using pretty old software.
emwoods is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 12:16 PM   #3 (Print)
So tired.....
He's referring to NeroVisionExpress, which version 3 is the latest. It's what's bundled with nero7 I believe. Perhaps it was with 6 and there's a newer one with 7, but I don't think so.

[edit] NVE4 is the latest, and it allegedly supports DVD-9 (DL) [/edit]

"Buttressing my facade of professionalism since 1996"

"If you give a man fire he will be warm for a day
If you set that man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Last edited by DPF : 12-29-2005 at 12:26 PM.
DPF is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 01:23 PM   #4 (Print)
The other option (which is what I did) is to either have NVE burn to the Image Recorder, or to a Windows folder, then burn it to the DL disc with Nero Burning ROM.

I was going to be burning many copies of my project to disc, so this way made more sense for me instead of transcoding the data each time I burned a copy. But I know when I added more data than what would fit on a single layer disc, NVE3 asked me if I wanted to compress it, or expand the project for a DVD9 disc. I never tried using NVE3 to actually burn to the DL disc, but I know it will allow you to create a project larger than 4.7GB.
colforbin13 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #5 (Print)
Thanks guys for the input / advice.

Colforbin, what is the difference between NVE and Nero Burning ROM? I suspect that NVE has the bells and whistles that let you edit and create menu's, etc. Perhaps the burning ROM is mainly an application for duplicating DVD's? Not like it really matters, but I was curious when you mentioned NVE3 transcoding everytime it burns, but apparently the Burning ROM doesn't. I'm just curious why Nero would even have the two separate programs since I know you can copy DVD's using NVE3 as well (at least I think). I'm using an OEM version that came bundled with my burner, and I use this launcher thing called "Smart Start" and so who really knows what Nero program I'm using... I just click create DVD Video and it opens NVE3 for me. Maybe as a prerequisite to using Burning ROM you have to have DVD-compliant material, whereas with NVE you can convert files from other formats (e.g. Tivo files and MP2's) into the DVD specs... If so, it would make sense to first "write" the DVD image from NVE3 to hard disk, and then use that image in Burning ROM to actually burn the DL disk??

Either way, thanks for the info. Good to know that NVE3 will at least let me create a DVD9 project. And if you have had success burning the DL disc with Burning ROM after writing the image to disk, I'll try the same.
jsjurek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 04:41 PM   #6 (Print)
Yes, NVE is used for creating menus, editing video, transcoding video between formats, and Nero Burning ROM (the main Nero App) is used for burning CDs, DVDs both audio/video and data.

NVE will burn to DVD (and may burn to DL discs, never tried it), but I use Burning ROM as I'm more familiar with the layout of it. Good luck, it seems like you've got the general idea.
colforbin13 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post