July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #1 (Print)
F8ster
The Very Last One

NetFlix RSS Reader v1.10 Released

Version 1.1 has been posted to my website.

New features:
  • Support for multiple profiles and/or multiple Netflix accounts
  • Added page hints for long lists
  • Cleaned up numerous special characters in descriptions

User guide: http://bitrazor.com/netflix/doc/index.php
Download: http://bitrazor.com/netflix/install/index.php
Screenshots: http://bitrazor.com/netflix/demo/index.php

If you had 1.0 installed, note that the format of the file that holds your ID has changed -- it's now XML, so you'll have to cut the ID from the old text file & paste it in (the user guide has complete instructions).

If you have multiple profiles listed in the file, you'll be presented with an initial screen, allowing you to choose the profile you want to view. If there's only a single profile defined, you'll be taken straight to the page with all of the feeds listed.

Features on tap for the next version, if I get ambitious:
  • Add 'run as a service' option for Windows users
  • Add a real installer for Windows

(No Windows bias implied here, I just think it's more necessary for those two things on the Windows platform for a good install and use experience)
F8ster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2005, 03:45 PM   #2 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Working great here. My girlfriend thanks you! The service/installer for windows would be most welcome, too. If running as a service isn't possible/practical, perhaps you could post instructions or provide an automatic way to add this to Galleon. Galleon uses a launcher.txt file (like the HME sdk samples) to start hme apps not designed specifically for galleon. I've added skull&bones and googlemaps this way, but I'm not sure where I should place the references for the helper class files included in your app. I personally am just looking for a way to not have the console window show every time I restart, so if you go with the service route my needs would be met, but others might still be interested in Galleon integration.

Whatever you choose to do, thanks again for the great work so far on this, it's already one of the more frequently accessed apps on our TiVo.
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2005, 01:39 AM   #3 (Print)
F8ster
The Very Last One

Well cool, I'm glad it's working! I'm working on the installer now but running into a couple snags. Advanced Installer (http://www.advancedinstaller.com) allows Java apps to be wrapped and installed as Windows services (perfect for what I'm looking for), but a few things aren't working quite right. I'm pretty close, though -- the service gets registered, and it'll start, but TiVo hangs at the 'Please Wait...' screen.

I did look at the Galleon plug-in model for my previous app -- if I can't get the Advanced Installer route working, I'll give Galleon a shot.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #4 (Print)
tball

Send a message via AIM to tball
Smile

Thanks, David, for publishing a cool app! Some feedback from my trying to run it on Mac OS:

1. The runnf.sh script needs to have colons (':') instead of semicolons separating the classpath instances, and needs to be set executable to run "out-of-the-box". This is true for all Unix variants.

2. Your app was compiled with JDK 5, but your documentation states that 1.4 is supported. If you plan on supporting 1.4, please recompile with "-target 1.4" to force the classfiles to be the right version (or "-source 1.4", which by default sets target to be the same value).

3. Your installation documentation references your trafficcam app -- cut and paste error?
tball is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-09-2005, 12:19 AM   #5 (Print)
F8ster
The Very Last One

> 1. The runnf.sh script needs to have colons (':') instead of semicolons separating the classpath instances, and needs to be set executable to run "out-of-the-box". This is true for all Unix variants.

Will fix the : in all future releases of all my apps. I don't think there's anything I can do from the Windows side when creating the Zip file to affect the execute bit when unzipped on Unix. I could change the documentation to read 'sh ./runnf.sh' instead, though, I suppose.

> 2. Your app was compiled with JDK 5, but your documentation states that 1.4 is supported. If you plan on supporting 1.4, please recompile with "-target 1.4" to force the classfiles to be the right version (or "-source 1.4", which by default sets target to be the same value).

I'm glad you caught this -- I have JDK compliance level in Eclipse set to 1.4, but I suspect I must also force 'generated .class file compatibility' to 1.4 as well (I left it on default, which apparently doesn't do the right thing). An easy fix for the next round. (I may actually do a quick re-release of 1.1 with these fixes.)

> 3. Your installation documentation references your trafficcam app -- cut and paste error?

Woops, busted. Fixed.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:29 PM   #6 (Print)
F8ster
The Very Last One

v1.20 released - now runs as a service

Same features as 1.1, but is now installable as a service under Windows, so it'll start up automatically anytime Windows is restarted.

User guide: http://bitrazor.com/netflix/doc/index.php
Download: http://bitrazor.com/netflix/install/index.php

Edit: 1.20 replaced with 1.21, which includes a Windows Firewall exception, and improved shell script for UNIX users.

Last edited by F8ster : 08-07-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #7 (Print)
peteypete

Pretty cool,

Now when do I get to change my queue via the tivo? And when do I get movies via Tivo?!!

Good work.

I like your traffic cam too!
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-07-2005, 01:32 PM   #8 (Print)
F8ster
The Very Last One

> Now when do I get to change my queue via the tivo?

Well, I'd love to add that, but it's a real pain. Here's the thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...3&&#post2999873

> Good work. I like your traffic cam too!

Thanks
Old 09-03-2005, 03:43 AM   #9 (Print)
kingmiwok

Hi. I'm having problems getting it to work. I am able to get Galleon and Tivo Server to work, so I have basic connectivity. I believe I've followed all of the instructions, have Java 1.5+ installed, etc, but I can't get the service to stay running. (Do Galleon and Tivo Server have to be killed before running your app?)

If I go to the services console and try to start it, I get a Windows message that says the service started and then stopped. (Same with your traffic cam app).

So maybe I'm overlooking a step somewhere. Any advise?

Note: In this case I'm trying it on a nearly new 40G Tivo, on a home network with another Tivo present. Back door is never needed after reboot. The menu always shows ..and More.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2005, 12:40 PM   #10 (Print)
F8ster
The Very Last One

Take a look in the logs/ directory for either app and see if there's anything interesting there...you can ZIP them up and e-mail them to me if you want and I'll see if I can tell what's going on. No need to kill Galleon or TiVo Server or anything; they should peacefully coexist.

What operating system are you running? I'm assuming Windows XP Service Pack 2, but I now realize that's not stated as a requirement, so it'd be good to know if you're on a different version.

Can you run the app manually? To do so, open a Command window, change directory to c:\tivo\netflixrss (or wherever you installed it), and type "nf_run_manually". That will run the app from the command line instead of as a service, and it might give us a few additional clues. See if the console output from running it manually differs from what you see in 'error.log' when running as a service.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #11 (Print)
kingmiwok

Thanks for the reply. Yes, XP with SP2.

There is no log directory, which got me looking at the directories. The way I unzipped, I did not get the sub-directories. It was all in one folder, so that was a good clue. After fixing that (uninstalling/reinstalling services), and little trial and error with directory names, I've got it working. Nice!

In hindsight my mistakes were...

- I was not careful when unzipping (I just grabbed the files with the mouse and dropped them in a folder of my making, I guess) so the jars were not where they belonged.

- I made my own application directory name. I assumed the start service app would accomidate that, but it did not seem to. Even when I changed the capitalization on the directory name on my second attempt, it seemed to mess it up. Doh

I can not completley recreate what I did, but messing with those things was the root of the problem. My advise to others is... don't do that. Thanks again. Nice apps. (I have the traffic viewer working now too)

Old 09-16-2005, 01:10 AM   #12 (Print)
F8ster
The Very Last One

Version 1.3 Released

I just released a new version, which fixes 2 minor problems (the main one being the backgrounds disappearing when run on TiVos with 7.2).

http://bitrazor.com/netflix
Old 09-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #13 (Print)
Dean55

Granted this is the first attempt for me to run any HME app, aside from the Tivo supplied desktop and the standard TivoToGo to burn DVDs, but I'm having a little problem getting it started. First, yes, I'm running XP Pro SP2; I have JRE 5.0; 1 gb RAM and ample GB on disk on the PC. And fwiw, there are 2 Tivo's, one is ethernet connected and one is wireless, both at 7.2.

I installed your NetflixRSS app version 1.21 but I seem to have the same symptoms as the previous post, i.e. I get a Windows message that says the service started and then stopped.

I don't see an 'error.log' file in my installation directory ("d:\TivoNF") and
when I try to run the nf_run_manually batch file it returns this message:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/tivo/hme/sdk/Factory

I can only assume this is something real simple (and stupid on my part); if so, so be it, sorry. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction, thanks.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #14 (Print)
Dean55

OOPS! Sorry.

Sorry.... all my mistake, I too, had not not unzipped using the paths. Looks great thanks!

Old 11-29-2005, 07:46 PM   #15 (Print)
sageone
The Rook

Send a message via AIM to sageone
I can't seem to get 1.3 running. It starts and stops without any problems on the PC. Tivo recognizes it when I go to Music, Photos and More. When I select it, however, it gives me an error message of "An error occured while running the application. The application closed during a read (0x50006)."

Any suggestions? I'm not an techy by no means, but know enough to be dangerous. Any help would be much appreciated!
sageone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 07:55 PM   #16 (Print)
F8ster
The Very Last One

Take a look in the logs/ directory where you installed the app -- there should be one or more files in there. Take a look at them and see if there's anything interesting in there (or ZIP them up and e-mail them to me and I can take a look).

One other thing to try: see if there's any difference running it in Service mode vs. running it from the command line. Here's how:

To try it in service mode (if the service isn't installed already):
Start - Run, then type: cmd <enter>
cd \tivo\netflixrss
nf_svc_install

To try it in command-line mode:
nf_svc_uninstall
nf_run_manually
Old 11-29-2005, 08:24 PM   #17 (Print)
sageone
The Rook

There is some info in the logs, but I don't know what it all means or how it would lead to a solution.

The text file in the log folder reads:

javax.xml.bind.UnmarshalException: Unexpected end of element {}rofile
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.SAXUnmarshallerHan dlerImpl.handleEvent(SAXUnmarshallerHandlerImpl.java:579)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.AbstractUnmarshall ingEventHandlerImpl.reportError(AbstractUnmarshallingEventHa ndlerImpl.java:139)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.AbstractUnmarshall ingEventHandlerImpl.reportError(AbstractUnmarshallingEventHa ndlerImpl.java:136)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.AbstractUnmarshall ingEventHandlerImpl.unexpectedLeaveElement(AbstractUnmarshal lingEventHandlerImpl.java:153)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.AbstractUnmarshall ingEventHandlerImpl.leaveElement(AbstractUnmarshallingEventH andlerImpl.java:63)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.ProfileTypeImpl$Unmarshall er.leaveElement(ProfileTypeImpl.java:202)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.SAXUnmarshallerHan dlerImpl.endElement(SAXUnmarshallerHandlerImpl.java:140)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser .endElement(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScanner Impl.scanEndElement(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentS cannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentS cannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuratio n.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuratio n.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(U nknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser .parse(Unknown Source)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.UnmarshallerImpl.u nmarshal(UnmarshallerImpl.java:140)
at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(Ab stractUnmarshallerImpl.java:131)
at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(Ab stractUnmarshallerImpl.java:178)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.XMLIdReader.<init>(XMLIdReader.java:22)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.NetFlixRSS.countProfiles(NetFlixRSS. java:82)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.NetFlixRSS.init(NetFlixRSS.java:50)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Listener$ConnectionHandler.handleHME(Listen er.java:478)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Listener$ConnectionHandler.handle(Listener. java:529)
at com.tivo.hme.http.server.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.j ava:92)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Listener$ConnectionHandler$Acceptor.run(Lis tener.java:568)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.XMLIdReader.<init>(XMLIdReader.java:27)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.SAXUnmarshallerHan dlerImpl.handleEvent(SAXUnmarshallerHandlerImpl.java:579)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.AbstractUnmarshall ingEventHandlerImpl.reportError(AbstractUnmarshallingEventHa ndlerImpl.java:139)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.AbstractUnmarshall ingEventHandlerImpl.reportError(AbstractUnmarshallingEventHa ndlerImpl.java:136)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.AbstractUnmarshall ingEventHandlerImpl.unexpectedLeaveElement(AbstractUnmarshal lingEventHandlerImpl.java:153)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.AbstractUnmarshall ingEventHandlerImpl.leaveElement(AbstractUnmarshallingEventH andlerImpl.java:63)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.ProfileTypeImpl$Unmarshall er.leaveElement(ProfileTypeImpl.java:202)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.SAXUnmarshallerHan dlerImpl.endElement(SAXUnmarshallerHandlerImpl.java:140)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser .endElement(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScanner Impl.scanEndElement(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentS cannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentS cannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser .parse(Unknown Source)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.UnmarshallerImpl.u nmarshal(UnmarshallerImpl.java:140)
at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(Ab stractUnmarshallerImpl.java:131)
at javax.xml.bind.helpers.AbstractUnmarshallerImpl.unmarshal(Ab stractUnmarshallerImpl.java:178)

The output file in the log folder reads:

HME SDK early access 1.2.0 (TiVo, Inc.)
8903ms: Registered http://192.168.1.102:7288/netflixrss/
323836ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/icon.png
329464ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/
329584ms: 192.168.1.105 connect: http://192.168.1.102:7288/netflixrss/
DefaultValidationEventHandler: [FATAL_ERROR]: Unexpected end of element {}rofile
335483ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/icon.png
345667ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/icon.png
353108ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/
353108ms: 192.168.1.105 connect: http://192.168.1.102:7288/netflixrss/
DefaultValidationEventHandler: [FATAL_ERROR]: Unexpected end of element {}rofile
354520ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/icon.png
549831ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/icon.png
624318ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/icon.png
631609ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/
631609ms: 192.168.1.105 connect: http://192.168.1.102:7288/netflixrss/
633111ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/icon.png
2157262ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/icon.png
2161899ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/
2161909ms: 192.168.1.105 connect: http://192.168.1.102:7288/netflixrss/
2163341ms: 192.168.1.105 handleHTTP: /netflixrss/icon.png

Now what?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:53 PM   #18 (Print)
F8ster
The Very Last One

Ah, I think I see what's wrong -- it's having trouble parsing the profile_ids.xml file. (That's the file you manually edit to input your Netflix Profile ID.) Try editing the file and replacing the contents with this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <profiles> <profile> <id>undefined</id> <description>undefined</description> </profile> <profile> <id>undefined</id> <description>undefined</description> </profile> </profiles>

Then see if the app starts up. If it does, you can then go back in and replace the 'undefined' id and description again. (If you leave the second profile entry in there with 'undefined' as the ID, it'll be ignored, or you can delete it if you prefer if you only have one Netflix account.) Edit carefully; a missing XML tag will cause that error.

I'll add proper exception handling to that section of code for the next release so that it doesn't barf horribly when there's a typo or editing mistake in the file.

Let me know if that was the problem -- I had one other report of this error last week, and I never got the log files, so this is very helpful.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #19 (Print)
sageone
The Rook

Dude...this worked like a charm. What I did was got rid of all the extra tags and stuff. I just copied and pasted your code, added my que ID and bingo. All set.

Now, if I can browse my que, reorder it and add more movies to it THAT would be clutch!
Old 12-11-2005, 05:56 PM   #20 (Print)
Lenonn

Send a message via ICQ to Lenonn Send a message via AIM to Lenonn
I've been getting the same error. I'll try the fix above, but if it doesn't work, just in case, here is my log:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The entity name must immediately follow the '&' in the entity reference.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper. createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper. fatalError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.rep ortError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.rep ortError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFat alError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentS cannerImpl.scanEntityReference(Unknown Source)
--------------- linked to ------------------
javax.xml.bind.UnmarshalException: The entity name must immediately follow the '&' in the entity reference.
- with linked exception:
[org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The entity name must immediately follow the '&' in the entity reference.]
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.ErrorHandlerAdapto r.propagateEvent(ErrorHandlerAdaptor.java:81)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.ErrorHandlerAdapto r.fatalError(ErrorHandlerAdaptor.java:57)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper. fatalError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFat alError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentS cannerImpl.scanEntityReference(Unknown Source)
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The entity name must immediately follow the '&' in the entity reference.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper. createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)
javax.xml.bind.UnmarshalException: The entity name must immediately follow the '&' in the entity reference.
- with linked exception:
[org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The entity name must immediately follow the '&' in the entity reference.]
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.ErrorHandlerAdapto r.propagateEvent(ErrorHandlerAdaptor.java:81)
at com.bitrazor.netflixrss.jaxb.impl.runtime.ErrorHandlerAdapto r.fatalError(ErrorHandlerAdaptor.java:57)
- with linked exception:
- with linked exception:
Lenonn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #21 (Print)
Lenonn

Send a message via ICQ to Lenonn Send a message via AIM to Lenonn
Okay, I think I figured out it was wrong. I was setting this up for my parents, and under their profile, I used an ampersand with their names (i.e. Mike & Susan). I used Mike and Susan, and it works fine. I guess that the program just doesn't like the use of the ampersand.

I must agree with the above comments. This is a nice feature. If it allowed you to do the same functions as the TiVo website, it would be even better (adding/deleting/adjusting the queue). Keep up the great work!

Last edited by Lenonn : 12-11-2005 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Addendum
Lenonn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2005, 07:43 PM   #22 (Print)
F8ster
The Very Last One

Yep -- the XML parser is finicky about the ampersands. I'll add that to the documentation.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:58 AM   #23 (Print)
raven27

Send a message via AIM to raven27 Send a message via Yahoo to raven27
OK on the part you have too Set Your NetFlix Profile ID(s).Do you do all of them?I have netflix Account. and the part you need is P1212958128871933796747392667318662
P1212958128871933796747392667318662 1212958128871933796747392667318662
raven27 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2005, 04:13 AM   #24 (Print)
raven27

Send a message via AIM to raven27 Send a message via Yahoo to raven27
Thanks F8ster work fine for me and no problem for at all.
raven27 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post