Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2005, 09:48 AM   #1 (Print)
cpalma

"Breaking News"

What's everyone's take on breaking into programming for "breaking news".

I live in the Boston area. They are planning a news conference today at 1:00pm for Theo Epstein. The local affiliates are planning on showing it live.

Now, I know Boston is fanatic about it's "Red Sox Nation". My problem is with breaking into regular programming for this in the middle of the day. Now, I'm not a sports nut like my son or husband so maybe I'm a little biased. Wouldn't most fans not be in front of a television to watch this news conference? Would Tivo afficionado's record something like this?

Why do Network news producers think that all news is "Breaking News". I believe most stories can wait for the 4:00, 4:30, 5:00, 5:30 or 6:00 news broadcast. Of course, something like 9-11 is a different story altogether, but even that coverage had little "news" and was mostly commentary. I'll take 'news' if it is giving us real information, but not to listen to individual's thoughts on a situation.

Any thoughts?
cpalma is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-02-2005, 09:56 AM   #2 (Print)
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

So you're saying that one of your soaps might be pre-empted?

Old 11-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #3 (Print)
cpalma

Yeah, it's Days of our Lives, and not really caring because it's so boring right now, but it got me thinking. I had this discussion with my son and husband last night and wanted another point of view (this predominantly male forum)
Old 11-02-2005, 10:04 AM   #4 (Print)
mrpantstm
Well aren't you

can't stand it. you can warn me without breaking into the show. lord knows they put their logos / tv show promos all over shows, I'm sure they could sneak in some warning.

If it's a 'Aliens are coming, we're all going to die!!!' that's one thing. But generally it's some jack@ss who tells me they're tracking some storm or waiting on something for details. Thanks chief, now let me get back to my show.

besides, by the time I see the "breaking news" it's been several hours (thank you TiVo).

mrpantstm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #5 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Call or write to the station with your complaintabout the lack of importance/newsworthiness for the break-in. You might also remind them that breaking in to existing programming should be limited to providing an alert or warning about something important -- things requiring action on the part of viewers, not just to announce something "exciting" or try to be the first station revealing some information.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #6 (Print)
Lord_Skywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Call or write to the station with your complaintabout the lack of importance/newsworthiness for the break-in.

I wish I could do this every time the President tries to give a press conference during prime-time TV.
Lord_Skywalker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #7 (Print)
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I have the same problem. I live in Boston too and they are constantly cutting in for Red Sox or Patriots news. It's ridiculous especially since most of the people who care about this are AT WORK! I'm tired of missing All My Children for this! Maybe we should start complaining!

Jamie: Pretty! Who are you?

From The Practice
aadam101 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-02-2005, 01:11 PM   #8 (Print)
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Also most of the time they could ust run this news at the bottom of the screen. I'm fine when they want to break in for real news that actually affects people but for sports?????

From The Practice
Old 11-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #9 (Print)
Zzot

For me its not so much the difference between news and non-news.
For me it is that I don't watch live TV.
I record everything.
Then I watch it later. It sucks to have a news break-in when stuff happened any number of days ago. I don't care that bad weather struck three days ago when I recorded the show.
Zzot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-02-2005, 01:43 PM   #10 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Skywalker
I wish I could do this every time the President tries to give a press conference during prime-time TV.

Is someone stopping you?

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #11 (Print)
alpacaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalma
I'll take 'news' if it is giving us real information, but not to listen to individual's thoughts on a situation.
Any thoughts?

Exactly.
There's very little that I think justifies cutting away for a special report. 9/11, formal declaration of war, election results - yes. Interviewing a bunch of fans happy that their team won "the game" - don't even give me a screen crawl.

I mean, even things like announcing a new supreme court nominee, which I'll agree is important, and will affect me - is this something that couldn't wait till the next commercial break? For that matter, I'm perfectly happy to wait to hear about it on "The Daily Show" at 11pm...
alpacaboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #12 (Print)
doom1701
I blue myself!

Paul Harvey mentioned a couple weeks back how it used to be that "Breaking News" (or maybe it was another term that means more or less the same) always dealt with stories that could be summed up, including why people should care, in two words.

"President Shot"
"Bus Explodes"
"War Declared"

He lamented how everything is breaking news these days.

I've got a blog again; wonder how long this one will last?
doom1701 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #13 (Print)
rkester
Objects in Mirror...

"Mom, I'm really sorry but I dropped one of your good plates."

That is breaking news.

WHy doesnt the president have his own channel? He _is_ the president. Then he could ramble on and on about this and that and leave my good shows alone. Why oh why cant this happen?

Old 11-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #14 (Print)
gtrogue
Enormous Member

Send a message via MSN to gtrogue
Who the hell is Theo Epstein?

Old 11-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #15 (Print)
EchoBravo
Live From The Future

Years ago, when networks/affiliates used to only do it for real news, I felt it was justified and always perked up when those cool "Breaking News" or "Special Report" animations happened. It was more of a rush to be on the other side of those, having produced my share back in the mid-90s.

Now it's breaking news every time it rains or when a pretty white girl is missing, or for a car accident the station just happens to have helicopter video of... And that sucks.

One of my biggest peeves used to be people calling the station to complain that their show (usually soap operas) was interrupted for breaking news. People were pissed when Jeopardy & Wheel of Fortune were bumped for the crash of US Air Flight 427 (Pittsburgh/1994). Can you imagine making that call? Taking the time to look up the number, then complaining "Sorry about all those dead people, but when are Pat & Vanna gonna be back on?" Losers!

Sorry to get all long-winded. Short version:

For real breaking or developing stories/special reports.
For BS ratings stunts just so you can brag you were there first on a subsequent broadcast.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #16 (Print)
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Send a message via AIM to LoadStar
Local news in general SUCKS.

Take tonight, for example. Fox affiliate's late newscast. The lead story? Mike Sherman, GB Packers head coach, walked out of a press conference after a member of the media had his/her cell phone go off.

They had TEAM COVERAGE for this. *sigh*
LoadStar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #17 (Print)
cpalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkester
WHy doesnt the president have his own channel? He _is_ the president. Then he could ramble on and on about this and that and leave my good shows alone. Why oh why cant this happen?

GREAT idea!!

Quote:

GM of the Red Sox. Here in Boston you'd think the Pope died!
Old 11-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #18 (Print)
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkester
"Mom, I'm really sorry but I dropped one of your good plates."

That is breaking news.

Ummmm....the President does have his own channel. It's called Fox News.

From The Practice
Old 11-03-2005, 05:47 PM   #19 (Print)
sieglinde

The pope died was pretty much too much on TV also. Showing every minute of elaborate funerals was too weird for me.

The most irritating one was when John Kennedy Jr. was killed in a plane crash. There wre hours of coverage on this story on the regular network stations. Later somebody pointed out that the news stations are all on the East Coast and think that we (the rest of the USA) give a rats you know what about the Kennedys.
sieglinde is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #20 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde
The pope died was pretty much too much on TV also. Showing every minute of elaborate funerals was too weird for me.

The most irritating one was when John Kennedy Jr. was killed in a plane crash. There wre hours of coverage on this story on the regular network stations. Later somebody pointed out that the news stations are all on the East Coast and think that we (the rest of the USA) give a rats you know what about the Kennedys.

The measure should simply be "if we tell you about this immediately, is there something you're going to be able to do about it that will help save your life?"

Anything else can wait.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2005, 10:26 AM   #21 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde

At least they weren't terrorists. CBS broke into the last 5 minutes of CSI:NY when Yasser Arafat died - not at all suddenly - but at least they fired the person responsible and re-aired the episode.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2005, 10:35 AM   #22 (Print)
LostCluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrogue

Theo Epstein was the general manager of the Boston Red Sox, credited for assembling the team that won the 2004 World Series. His departure at the end of his contract was a suriprise, and therefore news.
LostCluster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #23 (Print)
mbklein
Let's Go Dumples!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCluster
Theo Epstein was the general manager of the Boston Red Sox, credited for assembling the team that won the 2004 World Series. His departure at the end of his contract was a suriprise, and therefore news.

Yes, but not necessarily news that couldn't wait for the news to be on.

"Once again mbklein pretty much told it like it is." -- LiveBlues

"Thanks everyone! (Except mbklein.)" -- GoodSpike
mbklein is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2005, 12:14 PM   #24 (Print)
sieglinde

I would be totally pissed of if they broke the news for a sports figure leaving a team. For a very famous and popular person such as Tommy Lasorta when he dies is not as bad.

I remember when they broke the news for John Lennon being shot and at this time, the Soviets were threatening to invade Poland. I was not the only person who was relieved that this was the breaking news rather than the invasion.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:17 PM   #25 (Print)
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

I just wish they would call Breaking News what it really is...Breaking Wind

Sony KDS-R60XBR1 (60" SXRD)
ChannelMaster 4228 OTA Antenna (in attic)
HDVR2 w/105 Hours (Samsung 120GB)
SONY SAT-A50
HomieG is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2005, 01:20 AM   #26 (Print)
kml_81

I agree with a lot of this- Breaking news used to be one of my biggest pet peaves. About 4 or 5 years ago they seemed to interupe huge chunks of my show every few days or so (soap). I did complain. It is much better now. The news channels do seem to be in competition.

Like everyone said it bugs me the most when it is something illrelevent- like the reporters sepeculating or waiting for a press confrence to start. A few years ago they interuped my whole show to wait for a press con. lead by people that had been stranded on a mountain and saved days ago- they were just going to chit chat about their experience. It didn't start until 45-60 min. of waiting. Please. (in my area breaking news always seems to be about lost hikers and people standed on mountains).

I have thought about this a lot. When I was in high school I complained, and people just thought I was being imature and not careing about news (how would they feel if it was their fav show?). I do care about the news, but on my time- my way (online, certain news casts, papers). People that are watching and recording tv expect to see their respective shows- not "news" er- speulation.

If its important just breaking in and stateing the facts and advice to go online or wait till the news for more info would be plenty sufficent.

Last edited by kml_81 : 11-05-2005 at 01:28 AM.
kml_81 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2005, 09:06 AM   #27 (Print)
RayChuang88

Send a message via AIM to RayChuang88
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff125va
CBS broke into the last 5 minutes of CSI:NY when Yasser Arafat died - not at all suddenly - but at least they fired the person responsible and re-aired the episode.

I'm not surprised they fired the producer who insanely did that because frankly, CSI:NY is a moneymaker for CBS and interrupting the show like that is a major no-no, especially given the Heidi game fiasco from 1968. I mean, putting on a "crawl" announcing the news is vastly less intrusive and viewers won't miss anything on the show.
RayChuang88 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2005, 10:56 AM   #28 (Print)
sieglinde

They must have not interrupted it on the West Coast because I don't remember having a problem with an episode of CSI:NY being interrupted.

I always thought it was bad to feel happy that someone is dead but I have to admit I was very happy Arafat died.