July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2004, 11:31 AM   #151 (Print)
Dennis Wilkinson

Quote:
Originally posted by cwoody222
Why is using Windows Media to manage the DRM excluding Mac support?

(while it sucks) WMP is available for MacOS X.

What am I missing?

Windows Media is available on Mac OS X.

Older Windows Media DRM is available on Mac OS X.

The latest Windows Media DRM is not yet available on Mac OS X.

If they are using the latest-and-greatest(?) Windows encryption/key management from Windows Media, then they can't support the Mac using it, at least not right now. As I posted above, it's still not clear what they're doing for DRM and how tightly it may or may not be bound to Windows Media.

Microsoft hasn't said one way or the other whether they're planning to movie the latest stuff to the Mac implementation.

Old 11-16-2004, 12:32 PM   #152 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Wilkinson
Microsoft hasn't said one way or the other whether they're planning to movie the latest stuff to the Mac implementation.

now that is a funny typo.

Press release - Quick Time has now been upgraded to play the Windows OS code And record it into the OS X for later playback of any code needed. To quote the Lead engineer "Once we found out HOW MUCH Windows code could be compressed it was shown that playing it through Quicktime was the fastest port." Steve Balmer from Microsoft said information would be available soon on how much Mac users would be charged for the "upgrade".
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2004, 02:06 PM   #153 (Print)
Halenger

I'm terribly sorry for asking this....

I'm this close to take the venture into Tivo... however, this Tivo2Go is EXACTLY what I want (from the sounds of it)... I just want to know if a majority would advice me to wait until T2G is released to buy a Tivo unit... or just go ahead and buy one now. I just don't want T2G to be some physical thing I have to go back to the store and purchase. If it's clear that T2G will be a software update that any series 2 unit will be able to download.... that's perfectly fine to me.

Thanks for the help and information.
Halenger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2004, 02:08 PM   #154 (Print)
markp99
TakoKichi

Send a message via AIM to markp99
Halenger,

T2G is a software update. Get your butt to the store and buy one now!!

Old 11-16-2004, 02:18 PM   #155 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

yep, it will be some type of software only update to the TiVo - and then software download/install for the PC. Now if you do not have a PC or DVD burner then you may have to run out for one of those

Buy any Series 2 Stand Alone now and go ahead and lifetime subscribe it, also do not fret about the size of the Hard drive since you can upgrade that easily and more to the point here - you can keep files on the PC hard drive
Old 11-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #156 (Print)
Halenger

Awesome guys.... thanks for the quick responses...

Now... I'm going to be extremely annoying in asking this question. I'm more interested to be safe and order the tivo system itself from tivo.com apposed to ebay. Tivo.com has a web special for the 80 hour unit. Basically pay $170 for a new one or $100 for a re-furbished one (I'm aware I have to be upfront with $$$ and wait for the rebates)... I'm just curious as to if it's a setback at all if I get the "factory-renewed" system? opposed to the crisp-clean satisfaction of having a unit right out of the box for the first time? Is there anything I should be aware of pertaining to warranties/stability of these units??
Halenger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2004, 02:37 PM   #157 (Print)
JoeBarbs

buy the 40 hour unit from Amazon.com for $79 (after rebate) and then upgrade it yourself.

Broadband Cable
Wired Etherfast Network Linksys Router (BEFSR41)
(2) Linksys USB 2.0 Adapters (USB200M)
JoeBarbs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2004, 02:39 PM   #158 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by Halenger
Awesome guys.... thanks for the quick responses...

Now... I'm going to be extremely annoying in asking this question. I'm more interested to be safe and order the tivo system itself from tivo.com apposed to ebay. Tivo.com has a web special for the 80 hour unit. Basically pay $170 for a new one or $100 for a re-furbished one (I'm aware I have to be upfront with $$$ and wait for the rebates)... I'm just curious as to if it's a setback at all if I get the "factory-renewed" system? opposed to the crisp-clean satisfaction of having a unit right out of the box for the first time? Is there anything I should be aware of pertaining to warranties/stability of these units??

TiVo stands behind them well and I have not seen a complaint on one here in quite a while. Now the hassle of getting them online from Tivo is that if there is a problem there is a significant bit of shipping time and money involved and you have to work that out with TiVo and be without the unit while it is in transit.

if you go to a retailer, then if the unit has a fit in warranty then you take it back and get another one off the shelf. No fuss no muss. Places like costco and sams have tivos to sell as well. Shop around.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:05 PM   #159 (Print)
markandjenn

While I am very happy with my refurbished unit, I would go with JoeBarbs recommendation. I got a 40 hour for $50, but for you there is no need to get a 80 hour black box for $99, when you can get a 40 hour silver box for $79 and replace the hard drive. The silver box will allow you to replace the 40GB drive with any size drive, while you are limited to 160GB or less drives with the black box refurb.

Series 1 HDR212 193 Hours - Unsubbed
markandjenn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2004, 03:13 PM   #160 (Print)
SCIFI 3D zoo

I looked through all the same decisions too. A new 80-hour unit is $170 (10% off plus $100 rebate)... new 40-hour unit $99 ($100 rebate). TIVO has FREE shipping right now too (4-6 days). It shipped the next day 11-15-04 , I ordered it on a Sunday... and I have a tracking # too. So all of that sounds good to me. No problems with ordering it online from them.

I figured I could just use a 40-hour unit b/c I'd dump a lot of files to the pc and not store them on the unit anyway. But I don't know how long it'll be till T2G comes out, and I don't want to miss a lot of stuff, and I want to record stuff at the highest quality, and.. the 80-hour unit was $70 more. So that's why I went with it.

My last decision was should I just go buy it now or or go buy it. The two things I thought about that was... the trouble some people are having with rebates so it "might"? be easier to buy it from TIVO... AND I like to make sure I can get what I want and it's in stock. I live in a small town outside Orlando so I didn't want to drive all over here or there to find the unit. I really wanted an 80-hour unit also b/c it's a charcoal color. It'll match my other a/v gear better. The 40-hour (TIVO brands) unit has the lighter colors. I think that's about it. Those are all the things I was weighing my decision on. So I might get it this week or Monday. WOO-HOO. Actually... I just tracked it... be here tomorrow. Ordered it Sunday night.. shipped Monday... be here Wed. I'm in Florida and it shipped out of Tennessee. So if I was in California it'd probably take the 4-6 days. The next level of shipping ain't free... for 2-4 days.. and it was like $30+.

Oh, about the refurb. It's probably ok. There's gotta be warranty info there somewhere. I figure.. the only moving part here is the hdd. That's probably the part that was replaced or worked on. It's probably a safe buy. I have a little bit of money so I don't care to spend more on a new one.. but 10 years ago... I would buy a refurb from them probably. And like hdd's on pc's... it's always cheaper to upgrade later. Just get what you need for now. There's a lot to consider.. and it should fit your needs.

Last edited by SCIFI 3D zoo : 11-16-2004 at 03:50 PM.
SCIFI 3D zoo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2004, 04:43 PM   #161 (Print)
TiVoDoughBoy

Actually, there *is* an additional upgrade that will need to be purchased if you want to do DVD burning. See the link earlier in this thread, but TiVo has announced that the DVD burning will be a separate purchase from Sonic.
TiVoDoughBoy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2004, 04:57 PM   #162 (Print)
LuxCal

Quote:
Originally posted by markandjenn
While I am very happy with my refurbished unit, I would go with JoeBarbs recommendation. I got a 40 hour for $50, but for you there is no need to get a 80 hour black box for $99, when you can get a 40 hour silver box for $79 and replace the hard drive. The silver box will allow you to replace the 40GB drive with any size drive, while you are limited to 160GB or less drives with the black box refurb.

After I get the software update, will I be able to any size disk in my black box as well?

John

Old 11-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #163 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by LuxCal
After I get the software update, will I be able to any size disk in my black box as well?

John

more than likely. Of ocurse with TiVoToGo you may want to think about where you want the hard drive
Old 11-16-2004, 05:12 PM   #164 (Print)
markandjenn

Quote:

John

To ZeoTeo's first point, it is more than likely, but it has neither been confirmed nor denied. TiVo traditioanlly likes to keep as many users on the exact same software base as possible, but it is conceivable that black boxes will not get the update. The update is a linux kernel update that adds LBA48 support, which is on the newer boxes, but is not on older boxes.

To ZeoTeo's second point, you may want to add the hard drive to your PC instead of your TiVo. It all depends on if you want to use it for archiving to your PC or keep shows on your TiVo.

Series 1 HDR212 193 Hours - Unsubbed
markandjenn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2004, 05:35 PM   #165 (Print)
LuxCal

Quote:
Originally posted by markandjenn
To ZeoTeo's first point, it is more than likely, but it has neither been confirmed nor denied. TiVo traditioanlly likes to keep as many users on the exact same software base as possible, but it is conceivable that black boxes will not get the update. The update is a linux kernel update that adds LBA48 support, which is on the newer boxes, but is not on older boxes.

To ZeoTeo's second point, you may want to add the hard drive to your PC instead of your TiVo. It all depends on if you want to use it for archiving to your PC or keep shows on your TiVo.

Oh, no, it'll go into the TiVo, primarily so that while I'm away on business, I won't come back to find all my shows deleted. The only use I'll have for TTG is to watch shows on my laptop. Work pays for the laptop, so it will be tough to get a new drive for it just to watch more shows.

John

Old 11-16-2004, 06:06 PM   #166 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Oh, no, it'll go into the TiVo, primarily so that while I'm away on business, I won't come back to find all my shows deleted. The only use I'll have for TTG is to watch shows on my laptop. Work pays for the laptop, so it will be tough to get a new drive for it just to watch more shows.

John

that makes sense as well, of course with TiVoToGo you can "clean" the TiVo before going away. I have a work laptop as well but figure I will drop a show at a time on it to watch during lunch. At some point portable video players will factor into this then it will be really cool. Take shows with you on the trip, to work etc just like an ipod with music. External USB drives are in the back of my mind as well.

I would hold off on putting the drive in to see if LBA48 is in TiVoToGo update. TiVo does like to keep all the models the same where it can.
if you put it in now then you just have to do it again after the update.

PS TiVo sees 137Gig without LBA48.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #167 (Print)
JoeBarbs

Zeo you got me thinking. Portable video hmmm. Picture this...

Small storage device. Size of an iPod. 40gig's of storage space. You can transfer your TiVo's shows to this device and take them with you anywhere. Carry along your composite A/V cable, plug one end into the device and the other end into the A/V connections on any TV and BINGO!!! That would be very cool.

Broadband Cable
Wired Etherfast Network Linksys Router (BEFSR41)
(2) Linksys USB 2.0 Adapters (USB200M)
JoeBarbs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2004, 08:52 PM   #168 (Print)
L

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeBarbs
Small storage device. Size of an iPod. 40gig's of storage space. You can transfer your TiVo's shows to this device and take them with you anywhere. Carry along your composite A/V cable, plug one end into the device and the other end into the A/V connections on any TV and BINGO!!! That would be very cool.

It's not the size of an iPod, but:

http://www.archos.com/
L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2004, 09:53 PM   #169 (Print)
LuxCal

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
that makes sense as well, of course with TiVoToGo you can "clean" the TiVo before going away. I have a work laptop as well but figure I will drop a show at a time on it to watch during lunch. At some point portable video players will factor into this then it will be really cool. Take shows with you on the trip, to work etc just like an ipod with music. External USB drives are in the back of my mind as well.

I would hold off on putting the drive in to see if LBA48 is in TiVoToGo update. TiVo does like to keep all the models the same where it can.
if you put it in now then you just have to do it again after the update.

PS TiVo sees 137Gig without LBA48.

This is exactly the direction I'm thinking of going. I do a lot of business travel to Europe, and it would be nice to have something along to "remind me of home".

I currently have two disks with a total of 160Gb (the original 40Gb plus the 120Gb I added). The second I hear that TTG is out, I will place an order for two of the biggest disks I can afford.

I haven't yet figured out how to justify this purchase to my wife, who (for some inexplicable reason) thinks TiVo is evil. Something about how it's increased the amount of TV I watch...

I'm also constantly scouring the internet, looking for a linux program that will deal with Windows Media files, for much the same reason...

John

Old 11-17-2004, 12:15 AM   #170 (Print)
Dreddnaught

I've been drooling over the Archos player for a while now and the other new products that came out at CES earlier this year (Thanks to Fresh Gear on TechTV), but until they get to the 2nd or 3rd (or 4th or 5th like Windows Media center) generation of these things, they won't give Tivo Savy consumers the quality, portability and ease of use that they're expecting from our A/V equipment.

Also....I want my LBA48 for my poor little black boxes. I saw that Compusa is running a deal on 300GB Maxtor hard drives for $200 (7200 RPM, 16 MB Cache)

- 1 Tivo Series2/HMO/MRV 240 hours wired
- 1 Tivo Series2/HMO/MRV 240 hours wireless
- 1 Humax Tivo DRT-800 w/DVD Burner/HMO/MRV 350 Hours
- AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD throughout house on both
Dreddnaught is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2004, 11:12 AM   #171 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
Quote:

Bahhh - Archo-Schmarchos, iPod-SchmiPod - what I'm waiting for is those cool, folding, wearable portable video display devices that are translucent, and go into my sunglasses. And embedded UI controllers inside my brain, along with sound receptors deep inside my ear. I can pretend to stare blankly into space, but actually be enjoying the latest episode of ... something!

Old 11-17-2004, 11:30 AM   #172 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by ashutoshsm
Bahhh - Archo-Schmarchos, iPod-SchmiPod - what I'm waiting for is those cool, folding, wearable portable video display devices that are translucent, and go into my sunglasses. And embedded UI controllers inside my brain, along with sound receptors deep inside my ear. I can pretend to stare blankly into space, but actually be enjoying the latest episode of ... something!

how about a Coat that could optionally display the show via its fabric. Then I could sell my own advertising

PS you can't talk about the embedded brain stuff in an open forum, people will start to feel that tingle and realize what happened. Now please sit back and enjoy the show.

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 11-17-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:51 AM   #173 (Print)
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:

Small storage device. Size of an iPod. 40gig's of storage space. You can transfer your TiVo's shows to this device and take them with you anywhere.
Actually that's the first thing I thought of when I read about that Gizmodo article about "using WMDRM" ...

Creative Zen: http://www.creative.com/products/pr...p?product=9882.
Samsung Yepp YH-999 http://www.samsung.com/DigitAll/Glo..._YH999_over.htm

Supposedly fully Janus / WMDRM 10 / PMC / whatever you want to call it compliant ...

If I was Tivo ... that would be what I would be looking for by "using WMDRM". How many partners will make TivoToGoOnly compatable products? Now, how many partners will make TivoToGoAndMCE compatable products? Tivo can keep their DRM ... and you can transfer content to a PMC w/o having to wait for some as-yet-to-be-made Tivo only solution.

Download content from Tivo or CinemaNow (CinemaNow movies can supposedly be downloaded to the Zen and Yepp) to your PMC ...

Unfortunately, if MP3s are to judge, that would raise the question of what to expect from non-Janus compliant PMCs ...

* The above is pure wild speculation, not to be taken or quoted as some sort of actual TivoToGo feature / functionality.
dt_dc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post