July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2005, 03:02 PM   #61 (Print)
su_A_ve

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Coxner
Note that there are (currently) no plans to increase prices on the Todos Paros packages. Many English speakers already sub to them to save money, this should encourage more to check it out. You only lose a few English channels by switching, although Fox News is one of them. [/B]

This is interesting... Note that on the last price increase, Para Todos did not go up (I'm a sub there).

On top of that, they even offer a lower priced package. Currently (without locals):

Opcion Extra - $26.99 (about 75 channels)
Opcion Extra Especial - $33.99 (about 125 chanels) - similar to Total choice
Opcion Ultra Especial - $37.99 - similar to Total Choice Plus
Opcion Premier - $85.99

My .02...
su_A_ve is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2005, 05:27 AM   #62 (Print)
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Coxner
Note that there are (currently) no plans to increase prices on the Todos Paros packages. Many English speakers already sub to them to save money, this should encourage more to check it out. You only lose a few English channels by switching, although Fox News is one of them.

Very interesting. It's unclear how much extra it costs to add locals to those. I couldn't find the price of that anywhere on DirecTVs site.

I looked at the lineup and sure enough, you were right. It's not a big loss in channels to get Opcion Extra Especial instead of Total Choice. The somewhat big gotcha for me though is the loss of CNBC.

RCA DVR80
TiVos w/lifetime: Sony SVR-2000, Philips HDR212, Tivo TCD540080
cwerdna is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2005, 08:02 AM   #63 (Print)
wickster

I have the Premier package. I believe that the Comcast package with the same channels is about $99. The main reason i subscribe to DirecTV was not the price but the NFL Sunday Ticket which they just renewed their exclusive contract with the NFL this past season.
wickster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2005, 09:11 AM   #64 (Print)
whalerfan
Let's go Whalers!

Wouldn't it be great to have something like Canada's Bell Expressvu? With this you can choose which tier of service you'd like to have. Another thing is that I was promised when I added my receiver in my bedroom that I'd have a new 1 year commitment with no price increase. Ha! Last time they raised prices mine went up as well.

No NHL, who cares! Saves me $$$ on the hockey package.
Whalers forever!
whalerfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2005, 10:57 AM   #65 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally posted by whalerfan
Wouldn't it be great to have something like Canada's Bell Expressvu? With this you can choose which tier of service you'd like to have. Another thing is that I was promised when I added my receiver in my bedroom that I'd have a new 1 year commitment with no price increase. Ha! Last time they raised prices mine went up as well.

No NHL, who cares! Saves me $$$ on the hockey package.
Whalers forever!
If it's so great, why do so many Canadians buy Directv equipment and illegally subscribe?
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #66 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally posted by whalerfan
Another thing is that I was promised when I added my receiver in my bedroom that I'd have a new 1 year commitment with no price increase. Ha! Last time they raised prices mine went up as well.
They shouldn't have. What did customer service say when you called?
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2005, 12:36 PM   #67 (Print)
ebockelman
Proud HR10-250 owner

Quote:
Originally posted by marrone
Taxes in Florida are something like 13.17% . For my TC+ w/locals, 2nd receiver, and TiVo service, I pay right around $7 in tax .

I guess someone's gotta pay for Jeb Bush's tax cuts.

Bush's tax cuts? Hardly. There's one little thing about living in Florida that you are forgetting. WE DON'T HAVE A STATE INCOME TAX!

All in all, I think that's a pretty good trade.
ebockelman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2005, 02:31 PM   #68 (Print)
marrone
Phased Member

Intangibles tax.

Not that I have to worry about it, but those that do will find they don't have to, and that revenue has to be replaced.

I'd rather see this tax money go to the schools.

-Mike

Old 01-27-2005, 04:36 PM   #69 (Print)
scottt

Just called DTV, they said the Opcion Ultra Especial with locals is $39.99. I think I will sign up for that after 3/01 (currently on TC+) and save the $6 a month. I compaired the channels. Looks like the wife will lose the Lifetime Movie Channel, big deal.
scottt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2005, 05:32 PM   #70 (Print)
Directvlover
Go Huskers!

Just checked....to get the same (equivalent) setup i have through directv with my cable company it would cost me about $17 more per month. Looks like i'm staying with Directv for awhile.
Directvlover is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2005, 09:17 PM   #71 (Print)
mikestanley

Ok, forgive me if I sound like a total n00b, but I just paid my very first month's DTV bill, so I guess I am a n00b whether I sound like one or not.

We have TC+ w/locals right now, plus the free 3 months of HBO & Cinemax.

I'm going to print out and compare the chanel lineups to confirm what seems obvious with a quick glance, but it looks like Opcion Ultra Especial will get me everything from TC+ that I want (mainly getting it for DIY and History Int.

So are you guys saying that I can just switch over to Opcion Ultra Especial, pay less, but basically keep the same channel lineup? Its that easy? Seems too good to be true.

If it is this easy, can I do this via the website? And if I can do that, is there really any reason to wait until 3/1 to make the switch?

I just told my wife about this and she gave me this, "if you can save us money then get to it" looks.

80 hr R10
mikestanley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2005, 11:21 PM   #72 (Print)
mattg

Quote:
Originally posted by mikenmike
$3.00 too much for my blood. I'm out...a make that downgrading from plus to just total choice. $3.00 is about what cable raises their rates every year and thats why I dumped cable.

I think I have seen a couple people with this reaction.

The $3 might be similar to what a cable company would increase by, but you have to consider that DTV doesn't have yearly increases. Most cable companies also find excuses to increase bills more than once a year sometimes.

DTV is still way cheaper than mostly analog digital cable in this area.
mattg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2005, 11:22 PM   #73 (Print)
mattg

I got this link in an email today. I am still under a 1 yr contract, but since I got the email, I assume mine will be going up too.

http://www.directv.com/Email2005/pnpblue/pnpblue.html
mattg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-28-2005, 04:02 AM   #74 (Print)
mike1977

That would be terrible for those who are well into their committment that wouldn't have just signed up or activated new equipment on their account just to lock in the old rates.
mike1977 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #75 (Print)
leesweet
TC Special Member

Er, where's the info on 'locking in rates'? I thought it was said several times there are no locks this time (like we got last year).

Old 01-28-2005, 11:38 AM   #76 (Print)
Joe C

Quote:
Originally posted by mikestanley
Ok, forgive me if I sound like a total n00b, but I just paid my very first month's DTV bill, so I guess I am a n00b whether I sound like one or not.

We have TC+ w/locals right now, plus the free 3 months of HBO & Cinemax.

I'm going to print out and compare the chanel lineups to confirm what seems obvious with a quick glance, but it looks like Opcion Ultra Especial will get me everything from TC+ that I want (mainly getting it for DIY and History Int.

So are you guys saying that I can just switch over to Opcion Ultra Especial, pay less, but basically keep the same channel lineup? Its that easy? Seems too good to be true.

If it is this easy, can I do this via the website? And if I can do that, is there really any reason to wait until 3/1 to make the switch?

I just told my wife about this and she gave me this, "if you can save us money then get to it" looks.

You can only switch from TC to Opcion packages by calling a CSR. I just switched last night 1/27. Switch now, why wait ?
Joe C is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #77 (Print)
mikestanley

I guess I will - it sure looked like I'd keep the same channels we have now.

I suppose the whole thing just feels a little weird. Subscribing to a Spanish package to save money. Won't the CSR know that? I won't have to prove I "deserve" the Spanish package or something stupid, will I? :/

Just to be sure - if I make this call today from work and assuming they do whatever they do on their end, will I get home tonight and find my two DTivo's and 1 standalone receiver working just as I left them? Lineups will work the same way, Season Passes, etc? I won't have to set anything else up including having already told it I don't receive tons of Spanish channels and other pay-per-view and sports junk? It will be transparent to me, and more importantly, to my wife?

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe C
You can only switch from TC to Opcion packages by calling a CSR. I just switched last night 1/27. Switch now, why wait ?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:04 PM   #78 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

I did a side-by-side of TC and the $33.99 Para Todos package and here's what I notice missing from the PT package that's included w/ TC: BBC America, Cartoon Network, CNBC, Discovery Health, ESPN Classic, FOX Movie Channel, FUSE, G4/TechTV, Lifetime Movie Network, PAX, ToonDisney, TVOne(which I didn't even know I had in the 1st place). From my personal point of view; BBC America? Would mean more if they brought back "Later...w/ Jools Holland". Cartoon Network? Now, I know there's an Espanol version, but I want that in English. Strike one. CNBC? I need that for the "Late Night w/ Conan O'Brien" 7PM reruns. Strike two. Discovery Health. Next. ESPN Classic? Got to have that for "Cheap Seats", plus it's ESPN!!! Strike three. Of what's left, only FOX Movie Channel means anything to me. I'd LOVE to get rid of PAX, the most useless non-shopping channel, IMO. But, given everything else involved, I'm stayin' put. I would love to see MTV Espanol, though.

TCD540040 w/Lifetime, networked, upgraded to 182hrs. @ Basic

"What a fun, sexy time for you!"- George-Michael Bluth, "Arrested Development"
bidger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-28-2005, 08:06 PM   #79 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe C
I saw the option to do it online at the DirecTV website, Joe.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:46 AM   #80 (Print)
ebockelman
Proud HR10-250 owner

Quote:
Originally posted by bidger
I did a side-by-side of TC and the $33.99 Para Todos package and here's what I notice missing from the PT package that's included w/ TC: BBC America, Cartoon Network, CNBC, Discovery Health, ESPN Classic, FOX Movie Channel, FUSE, G4/TechTV, Lifetime Movie Network, PAX, ToonDisney, TVOne(which I didn't even know I had in the 1st place). From my personal point of view; BBC America? Would mean more if they brought back "Later...w/ Jools Holland". Cartoon Network? Now, I know there's an Espanol version, but I want that in English. Strike one. CNBC? I need that for the "Late Night w/ Conan O'Brien" 7PM reruns. Strike two. Discovery Health. Next. ESPN Classic? Got to have that for "Cheap Seats", plus it's ESPN!!! Strike three. Of what's left, only FOX Movie Channel means anything to me. I'd LOVE to get rid of PAX, the most useless non-shopping channel, IMO. But, given everything else involved, I'm stayin' put. I would love to see MTV Espanol, though.

I thought Para Todos packages included Cartoon Network. My understanding was that it was the english channel with an optional spanish language audio channel. Can someone confirm?
ebockelman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #81 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

You're right. It shows Cartoon Network w/ an 'ESP' in parenthesis next to it, which denotes "English-language brdcst. w/ Spanish-language audio". ToonDisney has the same connotation. Sorry to confuse you.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:12 AM   #82 (Print)
DVRaholic
HR10-250 Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by bidger

This package is called OPCION ESPCIAL its $33.99.

The Para Todos package that is the most like the TC+
is the OPCION ULTRA ESPECIAL .

This package is $37.99 (with locals is $39.99)
and it is not increasing on march 1st.
(TC+ is going to $42.99, TC+ with locals $45.99).

It is missing the channels that bidger had listed
with the exception of ToonDisney and the Cartoon Network.
These are included with this package

You cannot switch to OPCION ULTRA ESPECIAL on the web site,
you must call to do this. It was very easy to do,
I switched 15 minuets ago

Directv Para Todos packages

Last edited by TivoAholic : 01-30-2005 at 02:42 AM.
DVRaholic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-31-2005, 08:34 PM   #83 (Print)
mikestanley

Well, I just switched to Opcion Ultra Especial over the phone - quick and painless. Felt a little goofy since the CSR I spoke to spoke with a Hispanic accent and I know I butchered the pronunciation of the package, but oh well. $39.99 instead of $42.99 is worth it. And if OUE isn't going up on March 1 I guess we'll be saying $6/mo then.

Took a few minutes, but the DTV website now shows that I have "OPCION ULTRA ESPECIAL y Locales"

80 hr R10
Old 02-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #84 (Print)
lorick
Green Bay Packer Fan

Angry Re: Sure, if you can actually GET locals...

Quote:
Originally posted by bduck
Well, for the 20% or so of D* customers who can't get and will NEVER get locals, it's a price increase. That $3 more a month is buying ME nothing, and they won't offer me locals even if I wanted them (and I DO!)

RANT

And let me guess, when the price of gas went up 10 cents a gallon the quality of the gas increased???????

DirecTV is still one of the best deals on the market. The price has NOT even kept up with inflation over the 10+ years I have subscribed.

No one EVER complains when they are given discounted hardware or FREE hardware but if they raise the price the world comes to an end for some.

If you are that upset with the price increase, CANCEL and do not let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

/RANT

DirecTV since 09/09/1994
DirecTV TiVo since 09/17/2001
SA TiVo since 02/22/2005
DirecTV HR10-250 since 11/25/2005
lorick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-11-2005, 03:06 PM   #85 (Print)
ElFrendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGOACTION
All of the rumors are true the price for dtv programming is going up.

Here are the new prices.

Total Choice 41.99$
Total Choice Plus 45.99$
Total Choice Premier 93.99$
(all of these are with local channels which is the other change. The package names.) It is no longer Total Choice w/Locals just Total Choice.
And without locals is Total Choice no locals.

The reason for the price increase according to Dtv is the increase in programming cost.

(sorry should have ran search before posting the new thread)

And as for a side note no other programming is going up or fees. (ie hdtv tivo cost additional rcvr fee)

would there be a price increase for total choice limited? I searched dtv website didnt find anything on this package.
ElFrendi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-12-2005, 01:55 AM   #86 (Print)
Travisimo

I'm a little confused. I just signed up with D* and will get the service installed on Tuesday at which time I have to decide which package to get.

From this thread, it appears that TC with locals is going from $42.99 to $45.99, right? However, on the D* website, it shows $39.99 for the TC with locals:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn..._Comparison.dsp

What gives?
Travisimo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-12-2005, 03:28 AM   #87 (Print)
mike1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisimo
I'm a little confused. I just signed up with D* and will get the service installed on Tuesday at which time I have to decide which package to get.

From this thread, it appears that TC with locals is going from $42.99 to $45.99, right? However, on the D* website, it shows $39.99 for the TC with locals:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn..._Comparison.dsp

What gives?

It probably won't show the updated info until March 1 or shortly after. They really should post a note about it though on the prices page until then.
mike1977 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #88 (Print)
texas arsenal
FCDallas.net

I wasnt happy with the price increase either but I used it to get a free DVR. I was pissed after losing Trio but am very happy with the addition of GolTv starting Feb 22nd. I also like the mix channels but I wish you highlight the channel and hit select to go directly to that channel from the mix screen.

As long as they continue to add channels I dont mind, but when they lose a channel I feel a little slighted.
texas arsenal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #89 (Print)
Travisimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1977
It probably won't show the updated info until March 1 or shortly after. They really should post a note about it though on the prices page until then.

Yeah, but is it going from $39.99 to $45.99 ? I thought it was only a $3 increase? The website now shows $39.99 for TC *with* locals, but sounds like you guys are saying it's going to $45.99.
Travisimo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #90 (Print)
cheerioboy26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisimo
Yeah, but is it going from $39.99 to $45.99 ? I thought it was only a $3 increase? The website now shows $39.99 for TC *with* locals, but sounds like you guys are saying it's going to $45.99.

TC w/locals is going from 39.99 to 41.99
TC+ with locals is going from 42.99 to 45.99

I think part of the confusion may be IIRC they renaming the packages and removing the words "with locals" since most people get the locals anyway.
cheerioboy26 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post