THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #211 (Print)
JWThiers
Not So New Tivo Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71
Yes I know what Tivo is made from and have built a few PC's using Linux and a few products available for it to record. What I am saying is if you build hardware that "itself" will decode the D* stream without license from them you will get in serious trouble. I think the confusion here is I am saying without the D* receiver and you are saying after it's been run through the D* receiver.

I wouldn't advocate theft of service, which is what decoding the stream without a license would be. What I have been saying is that the larger revenue stream is for licensing the software not the hardware.
JWThiers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2005, 07:43 PM   #212 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin L
I'm quite sure DirecTV would have swapped it out for no more than shipping.
I have been with DirecTV for almost 12 years now, and in the past they were a very good company, that worked very hard at making sure that they delivered the best, but since News Corp bought them out, they have slowly started turning into a sorry excuse of a company. The quality of their picture and audio has suffered in the past when they push their hardware beyond the limits, but now in the last month there appears to be no real reason that their video delivery should be so bad. I would believe it was my hardware or solar flares, except that I am running two different isolated dishes and feeds and hardware, and the solar flares have diminished. The video problems started right about the time that everyone started complaining about their NFLST video problems and then later people started complaining about LOCALS video problems, which means to me that they shifted some bandwidth from some LOCALS to NFLST.

If it continues, I will start making complains about the LOCALS/BROADCAST FEEDS, because I pay almost as much on an annual basis for my other broadcast feeds than the NFLST people do for their feeds.

And I would NOT ASSUME that they would replace the HARD DRIVE, because other people have had almost the same problem with DirecTV that you had with EchoStar. I really do not think that DirecTV has started walking on water.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #213 (Print)
peteypete

Anybody catch this ad blitz yet? I mean the real one, promoting non-tivo boxes.

I think the Marketing guys and the product development guys are way out of sync.

Early 2004

Management: We're building our own box. Get it out ASAP!!
Marketing: NO! Tivo is easy to market.
Engineering: Cool! Jobs for us!

Oct 2005

Management: We need our box out by Christmas 2005. I MEAN NOW!!!
Marketing: You told us to get this campaign rolling for the holiday season. It's ready to roll. Here you go.
Engineering team: Uh... Our box has bugs. Can you wait?
Management: S**t. Roll the ads anyway.
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #214 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
I have been with DirecTV for almost 12 years now, and in the past they were a very good company, that worked very hard at making sure that they delivered the best, but since News Corp bought them out, they have slowly started turning into a sorry excuse of a company. The quality of their picture and audio has suffered in the past when they push their hardware beyond the limits, but now in the last month there appears to be no real reason that their video delivery should be so bad. I would believe it was my hardware or solar flares, except that I am running two different isolated dishes and feeds and hardware, and the solar flares have diminished. The video problems started right about the time that everyone started complaining about their NFLST video problems and then later people started complaining about LOCALS video problems, which means to me that they shifted some bandwidth from some LOCALS to NFLST.

If it continues, I will start making complains about the LOCALS/BROADCAST FEEDS, because I pay almost as much on an annual basis for my other broadcast feeds than the NFLST people do for their feeds.

And I would NOT ASSUME that they would replace the HARD DRIVE, because other people have had almost the same problem with DirecTV that you had with EchoStar. I really do not think that DirecTV has started walking on water.
I'm sure some have had bad service. We've all seen or heard the varied levels of service from DirecTV. For me, though, I've always been happy the way they've handled any request I've made. With Echostar, I always received mediocre to poor service.

I am not happy with the PQ either, and am really hoping the new sats not only give us more HD but restores the SD PQ, too.