July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #1 (Print)
Teraflop
Jack

Question HACKED DRIVE FREEZES AT "POWERING UP SCREEN"

I successfully upgraded my HDD to a larger one and when I cracked the drive with the ZIPPER and reinstalled it, it just froze at the "POWERING UP" screen. I copied another new image and I am about to crack the drive again, but first I wanted to see if somebody might have an idea as to why the previous attempt froze at the "POWERING UP" screen? It is a DirecTiVo. If it fails again this time, I will just copy another image and be happy with the expanded HDD space to record on, but I would like to get it networked so I can experience what everybody else is talking about. THANX
Teraflop is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #2 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

likely culprit is the kernel copy portion of the zipper failed or you used the incorrect killhdinitrd kernel.
image the drive 1st then put it in the tivo to make sure it boots up without modification then go from there.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #3 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teraflop
I successfully upgraded my HDD to a larger one and when I cracked the drive with the ZIPPER and reinstalled it, it just froze at the "POWERING UP" screen. I copied another new image and I am about to crack the drive again, but first I wanted to see if somebody might have an idea as to why the previous attempt froze at the "POWERING UP" screen? It is a DirecTiVo. If it fails again this time, I will just copy another image and be happy with the expanded HDD space to record on, but I would like to get it networked so I can experience what everybody else is talking about. THANX
How big of a drive are you using?
rbautch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #4 (Print)
Teraflop
Jack

The second try failed the same way, freezing at the "POWERING UP" screen. Both times after I copied the image to the drive, I connected it to the TiVo and verified that it was a good working image, and both times it worked fine. If this is a kernel problem, could you please tell me where to go to get the correct one? It is a DirecTiVo running 6.2. The drive is a 200gb Maxtor which the copied image runs fine on. After I cracked it both times, it said that the crack was successful with no errors. PLEASE HELP!
Old 12-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #5 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

The kernel needs to be a hacked 3.1.5 kernel, available from ptvupgrade as described in the zipper instructions.
rbautch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #6 (Print)
Teraflop
Jack

When I try again, will I have to start from scratch with another fresh copy before I try to crack it again?
Old 12-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #7 (Print)
Teraflop
Jack

Question

Proper Use of this CD

If you are building a replacement drive kit for a Series2 unit which does not have a supported LBA48 kernel, and you are using any drives which are greater than 137GB in capacity (each drive, not the sum total of the two) then you must NOT use this CD unless you have the intentions of using a modified Series2 kernel and the associated tools. You can use our Universal Boot CD as an alternative (now available for download!) or Tiger's Original Disk, for non-lba48 drives with non-lba48 TiVo kernels.

Where do I get a "MODIFIED SERIES 2 KERNEL" and the associated tools from?

THANX
Old 12-04-2005, 03:49 PM   #8 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teraflop
Proper Use of this CD

If you are building a replacement drive kit for a Series2 unit which does not have a supported LBA48 kernel, and you are using any drives which are greater than 137GB in capacity (each drive, not the sum total of the two) then you must NOT use this CD unless you have the intentions of using a modified Series2 kernel and the associated tools. You can use our Universal Boot CD as an alternative (now available for download!) or Tiger's Original Disk, for non-lba48 drives with non-lba48 TiVo kernels.

Where do I get a "MODIFIED SERIES 2 KERNEL" and the associated tools from?

THANX

from the link to teh 5 dollar boot cd in the zipper instructions.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2005, 11:08 AM   #9 (Print)
Jaerin

Something even easier to check that I almost overlooked the last time I hacked a Tivo.

Make sure the jumper on your drive is set to either Cable Select or Master/Single. You don't know how easy it is to overlook something like that when you are putting in a new drive. I had a 2nd drive in an old Tivo that I pulled out and replaced my wife's drive with. Well being the 2nd drive I didn't even think about it being set to slave instead of cable select. Luckily I thought of it as I was taking the Tivo appart again.

Jaerin
Jaerin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #10 (Print)
Teraflop
Jack

Question $5.00 Boot CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
from the link to teh 5 dollar boot cd in the zipper instructions.

I looked in the Zipper instructions and followed a couple links but couldn't find anything about a $5.00 boot cd anywhere. I can only work on this during the weekend, so could you please give the link to the page where I can download this boot cd? I hope it's the type of deal where I can pay for it and immediately download it and I don't have to wait for it in the U.S. mail.

THANX
Old 12-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #11 (Print)
texster

G Bridge with Alchemy
texster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post