July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-05-2004, 01:36 PM   #1 (Print)
Stephen O'Donne

Transferring a 160Gb drive to another

Hi,

I upgraded my tivo a few months back from a 5400rpm 120GB Maxtor to a 7200rpm 160Gb IBM. Everything went well and I've operated with the full 160Gb capacity. However, the drone of the 7200rpm disk was so noticable I decided to swap it out into my PC and put a new Samsung spinpoint 5400rpm 160Gb drive in in its place.

This is where the problem starts. Not all 160Gb drives are the same. In fact the IBM appears to be around 500Mb bigger than the Samsung. This means that I can't use MFS tools to do a backup of the disk as this will only handle the same or bigger sized disks.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a way round it?

Can I use something like Partition magic to rejig the tivo drive to appear smaller without ending up wiping the programmes that are on there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Stephen O'Donne is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 01:56 PM   #2 (Print)
Rob Nespor Bellis
Grumpy Sod

There is no way to copy the drive old2new with recordings intact.

You should be able to copy the TiVo system over minus the recordings using MFStool without problem though.

The backup command would be

mfstool backup -l 32 -6so /mnt/dos/backup.bak /dev/hdc

Assuming your FAT32 partition drive is mounted on /mnt/dos and your old TiVo drive is on secondary master.

This should create a 39hour backup.

You would then restore the backup to your new Samsung drive and expand again to the full capacity of the drive ( use a LBA48 friendly boot disk ) you will not need to replace the kernel, you will need to recreate the larger swap file though.

If you wanted to move the recordings from the old TiVo drive to the new TiVo drive you need to look over at the "Database of Deals" for how to do that.

Rgds,

R.
Rob Nespor Bellis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 02:11 PM   #3 (Print)
Robert S

Yes, it's something of a show stopper. The good thing about using the old kernel is that all 137Gb drives are exactly the same size.

You could get a 200Gb, or larger drive, of course (although if you went from 40 to 120 to 160 while keeping recordings, your A drive's partition table is full, so you won't be able to expand it again).

You could use MFS Tools to transfer to two new drives (the A drive wouldn't need to be very big as the big partition would go to the new B drive), but if one drive is too noisy, I'm guessing two is out of the question.

You don't necessarily need to make a backup file (presumably you have a fairly current backup from the last upgrade), you can transfer directly:

mfsbackup -l 32 -so - /dev/hdX | mfsrestore -s 127 -xpi - /dev/hdY

Assuming you do this from an LBA-48 boot disk, if you don't, you need -pi and not -xpi.

127Mb of swap is enough for 274Gb of disk space. As you've only got one drive, that's seems plenty for now. If you're even vaguely considering adding a B drive to this one, make sure you've got at least 1/2000 of your disk space allocated to swap.

-l 32 can stop the divorce process working, so even with a compressed backup, you might get a 'drive not big enough' error. If that happens, you'll have to revert to an older backup made from a smaller drive.