TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2004, 09:32 PM   #1 (Print)
tabacco

Send a message via ICQ to tabacco Send a message via AIM to tabacco Send a message via Yahoo to tabacco
Sleeperless hacking?

Okay, I'm really sorry if this is a common question, but I swear I've spent the last hour on google and this site trying to find the answer, and this is me finally giving up and just asking

I'd love to get telnet access to bash on my S2 standalone tivo (running 4.x). Most of the posts I've seenn on the subject make reference to the Sleeper ISO. I've also seen a lot of accounts of people having problems with it, especially with regards to disabling software updates after daily calls. I'd very much like to doo this myself, without the automated Sleeper scripts. I honestly don't mind pulling the drive or anything like that, and I admin a couple of linux servers, so I don't have a problem with that either. But does anyone know if there's a guide out there somewhere on how too do everything by hand? (Or by keyboard, at least )

sorry again if it's a dupe question!
tabacco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 11:41 PM   #2 (Print)
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

do a google search for "deals freebies How I learned to stop worrying"

"easy as 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841"
StanSimmons is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-29-2004, 10:54 AM   #3 (Print)
Snowman
Kinda fuggly

Unless Stan has actually followed those instructions, I'd suggest being careful. I tried and failed. Probably has a LOT to do with not having an ounce of Linux knowledge. Pvrupgrade.com has patched kernels available for download.

Here's what I've learned.. and I'm FAR from knowing much of anything on the subject, but I do want to hand-hack my own.

First, you'll need to use mfstools on a new drive and keep your original safe. Then you have to apply a patched kernel (you need to know what software version your Tivo is running).

The reason sleeper stops upgrades from happening is that the upgrades can make you have to start over from scratch. So, let's say the next version includes a Linux kernel update. Well, your patched kernel is now gone, for instance.

Once you patch your kernel and disable updates (you re-enable them when YOU want, so you can choose if and when you update), you need to get drivers for your usb ports and network card. Your choices are wired usb1.1 or usb2.0, or wireless B (not g). Wireless takes a lot more config than wired. Set your IP params, subnet, gateway, etc.

Turn off encryption (also outlined on DDB). Load at a minimum ftp and telnet daemons. Then you look into neat software like tivowebplus and tytools. You'll also probably want busybox so you get a lot of your favorite linux tools available to you. Once you have ftp and telnet going, you can do everything else remotely.

I MAY have missed a step or more, and if so, someone please fill in the blanks. I'm not even much past STARTED on hand-hacking my own.
Snowman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-29-2004, 11:05 AM   #4 (Print)
bsnelson
Frustrated, Inc.

Send a message via Yahoo to bsnelson
The instructions Stan refers to are sound. The problem with using a "brain dead" method like Sleeper to hack is that the user has no idea what he/she has just done, and if anything goes wrong, he/she is helpless in trying to fix it.

Also, and this is the big one in particular to Sleeper: The ISO is outdated, has old software in it and uses old methods to accomplish some of the hacks.

My advice is to research and learn enough to do it yourself. You don't have to become a Linux expert; just learn a few commands and get a high level understanding of what's going on.

Brad

(1) room, (1) TV, (1626) hours
bsnelson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-29-2004, 02:36 PM   #5 (Print)
Snowman
Kinda fuggly

I take my share of heat for this opinion, but so be it. I like Sleeper's ISO. Yes, it's old, yes it's outdated, yes newer stuff has come along since then to do the same things (not in the format that Sleeper's did). So far, there's absolutely no problem I've had with Sleeper's ISO, except the ghost keys, which is it trying to reprogram the 30-second skip button. There's also the ugly colored screen at boot-up (looks like an old TRS-80 on bootup) for a few seconds.

But, I have NOT found a method as quick, as easy, as foolproof, etc as Sleeper's. Sleeper has threatened a newer version, and I look forward to it.

If you try to manually hack your system and don't ask the questions the right way, you're very likely to get some nasty replies on ddb. Most of what they are talking about over there is over my head because a) I don't know Linux and b) I don't know any programming languages. I feel like a non-trekkie at a trekkie convention, BUT there are some nice folks over there too and they'll HELP you, but by golly they're going to make you do it yourself and learn what's going on. Not necessarily a bad thing. I wish there were a forum that was between Tivocommunity and ddb... where anything could be discussed and it could get downright over your head, but where you could also ask simple questions and get simple answers.

Brad's in a very unfortunate position... he's all of 10 miles N of me, so I may just track him down and show up with a hard drive and a goofy look on my face saying "pleeeze"
Old 10-29-2004, 02:41 PM   #6 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

The ghost keys and the ugly screen at boot can be fixed. I've done it.

I used the Sleeper ISO, and updated the other software as needed. I sort of understand what it did, but nothing has broken and I am probably not going to touch it unless a significant software update (4.0) comes down the pipe. Until then - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 10-30-2004, 11:21 PM   #7 (Print)
gtrogue
Enormous Member

Send a message via MSN to gtrogue
When has Sleeper threatened a newer version of his script? Sleeper has pretty much left the scene and hasn't participated in any DDB discussions in nearly two months.
Has he posted something in another forum?

Sleeper's script could be updated by somebody else if they wanted to take the time to do it.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:01 AM   #8 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

Sleeper has been banned for DDB - I've forgotten why. The active users in DDB apparently don't want to make it "too easy".

Old 10-31-2004, 10:25 AM   #9 (Print)
Snowman
Kinda fuggly

Yes, Sleeper is banned from DDB, so you won't hear from him on there. However, that does not mean he died.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:30 PM   #10 (Print)
gtrogue
Enormous Member

Send a message via MSN to gtrogue
I understand that Sleeper hasn't died. Where has he been keeping himself?

I'm with Steve when it comes to Sleeper's ISO and Monte. It is much easier than the current killhdinitrd methods. I've hacked my units both ways and the newer hacking method, though better in the long run, is way too involved and far more time consuming.
The DDB community seems to prefer it to be harder so they can keep the community closed and keep the people who aren't really contributing anything on the outside. Sleeper made things a bit too accessible.

Last edited by gtrogue : 10-31-2004 at 04:36 PM.
gtrogue is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-31-2004, 05:12 PM   #11 (Print)
damagi

Quote:
Originally posted by gtrogue
The DDB community seems to prefer it to be harder so they can keep the community closed and keep the people who aren't really contributing anything on the outside. Sleeper made things a bit too accessible.

the ddb community seems to prefer people to be willing to do a little background reading or whatnot. those who come expecting to be spoonfed, and those who lash out when they are pointed to documentation are not well received. anyone who is willing to read and interact in a positive manner is welcome.
damagi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-31-2004, 05:16 PM   #12 (Print)
JJBliss

Quote:

There are other forums dedicated to the TiVo besides TCF and DDB. Search Google for them. Sleeper has been seen on those.

Quote:
I'm with Steve when it comes to Sleeper's ISO and Monte. It is much easier than the current killhdinitrd methods.

Um, well.. Not easier for sure. Nothing could possibly be EASIER. Maybe simpler. But, do you really want to be simple?

Quote:
I've hacked my units both ways and the newer hacking method, though better in the long run, is way too involved and far more time consuming.

But it IS better.

Quote:
The DDB community seems to prefer it to be harder so they can keep the community closed and keep the people who aren't really contributing anything on the outside.

Nope. DDB wants to promote the hobby of TiVo hacking, not the end result that hackng your TiVo provides. DDB does not care one iota if ANYONE other then the folks who are involved in the hobby hack their TiVo or EVER get bash. Participating in the hobby is time consuming and sometimes frustrating. Using the fruits of that labor may or may not be as time consuming. It depends on the methods you use, as you allude to above.

DDB is not interested in making it easy. They are interested in making it possible. Therefore, they are not going to help make it easy. Let's all be thankful that they are currently not going out of their way to make it hard. Just remember what the Tivoweb guys did to the users of Xtreme.
JJBliss is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-31-2004, 05:30 PM   #13 (Print)
Weez

Quote:

I'm with Steve when it comes to Sleeper's ISO and Monte. It is much easier than the current killhdinitrd methods. I've hacked my units both ways and the newer hacking method, though better in the long run, is way too involved and far more time consuming.

It may be easier, but its a kludge. The new methods are much cleaner and knowing why things work makes it much easier to keep the software up to date. IMO thats a good thing.
Weez is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-31-2004, 06:10 PM   #14 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally posted by bsnelson
The instructions Stan refers to are sound. The problem with using a "brain dead" method like Sleeper to hack is that the user has no idea what he/she has just done, and if anything goes wrong, he/she is helpless in trying to fix it.

Also, and this is the big one in particular to Sleeper: The ISO is outdated, has old software in it and uses old methods to accomplish some of the hacks.

My advice is to research and learn enough to do it yourself. You don't have to become a Linux expert; just learn a few commands and get a high level understanding of what's going on.

Brad

is Sleeper good to use on the Philips DSR704? thanks
bnm81002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-31-2004, 08:17 PM   #15 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

Sleeper's ISO works on the DSR704, but I would not recommend that approach nowadays, especially if you're unfamiliar with TiVo hacking.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:38 PM   #16 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally posted by stevel
Sleeper's ISO works on the DSR704, but I would not recommend that approach nowadays, especially if you're unfamiliar with TiVo hacking.

you've helped me several times so tell me why it's not good to use? what should I use then instead?
in case you haven't remember ehat I wanna do here it is:
1-do a dual drive upgrade
2-read that I can use LBA48 but need to "monte" it first
3-network the Philips to my Earthlink cable modem
thanks again
Old 11-01-2004, 09:37 AM   #17 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

It's not good because it prevents you from getting software upgrades from TiVo and uses a method of disabling encryption that has some drawbacks. It also makes it difficult to use mfsbackup and restore to save and restore a copy of the disk.

I don't know exactly how to enable LBA48 support - I have decided that the pain isn't worth it for me.

As for connecting the TiVo to your cable modem - my DSR704 is networked, but I can't get it to use the network to contact TiVo. I have read conflicting reports as to whether this is supposed to work, but as it is not important to me, I gave up on it. Networking within my house works fine.

Ignoring the LBA48 issue, the other forum lists a method using a tool called killinird. That is what I'd use if I were looking at this today. On LBA48, I don't need that much storage right now so I'm waiting to see what happens from TiVo/DirecTV.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:48 PM   #18 (Print)
gsid711

Steve,

Do you mind sharing which USB network adapter you purchased for the DSR704? Also, do you know if there is a wireless alternative for the DSR704? Thanks.

-Gerry
gsid711 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-01-2004, 09:26 PM   #19 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

I bought the Linksys USB200M which works very well. I think people have wireless working, but as I don't care, I haven't been following that discussion.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:53 PM   #20 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
It's not good because it prevents you from getting software upgrades from TiVo and uses a method of disabling encryption that has some drawbacks. It also makes it difficult to use mfsbackup and restore to save and restore a copy of the disk.

I don't know exactly how to enable LBA48 support - I have decided that the pain isn't worth it for me.

As for connecting the TiVo to your cable modem - my DSR704 is networked, but I can't get it to use the network to contact TiVo. I have read conflicting reports as to whether this is supposed to work, but as it is not important to me, I gave up on it. Networking within my house works fine.

Ignoring the LBA48 issue, the other forum lists a method using a tool called killinird. That is what I'd use if I were looking at this today. On LBA48, I don't need that much storage right now so I'm waiting to see what happens from TiVo/DirecTV.

isn't there an updated version of it? have you heard anything from Tivo or Directv about future things?
Old 11-02-2004, 09:17 AM   #21 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

If there is an updated Sleeper's ISO, I have not seen it. I have not heard anything definite, but the appearance of a new DirecTiVo that apparently runs some version of TiVo software at least 4.0 gives one hope.

Old 11-02-2004, 05:08 PM   #22 (Print)
boxster99t

Quote:

Just so as to not confuse folks further, the "tool" is killhdinitrd 0.9.x and there's a thread called, "killhdinitrd 0.9.x Support Thread" in the Series 2 Support Forum of ddb.

I have a hard time too, posting about killhdinitrd, without actually looking for the spelling.

Unless there's a reason to use a Monte setup, I agree with you. Skip Monte.
boxster99t is offline Report Bad Post Report Post