Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2005, 09:28 AM   #1 (Print)
Gator1

TIVO with Mpeg-4

I know that Directv will have an MPEG-4 DVR soon but what about TIVO? Do they have a MPEG-4 unit coming?
Gator1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #2 (Print)
HogarthNH
DirecTV Addict

No.
HogarthNH is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 11:58 AM   #3 (Print)
aztivo

Yes they have one coming, It should be released in the first half of 06 chck www.tivo.com
aztivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 12:05 PM   #4 (Print)
Jon J
Yes. I did it.

I checked the website and couldn't find it.

Please supply a link.

Old 12-15-2005, 02:51 PM   #5 (Print)
aztivo

Old 12-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #6 (Print)
MikeSh

This link doesn't say a thing about mpeg-4, reads to me as mpeg-2 useage. I think if they meant mpeg-4 they would have specified it.

MikeS.
MikeSh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 03:07 PM   #7 (Print)
MikeSh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1
I know that Directv will have an MPEG-4 DVR soon but what about TIVO? Do they have a MPEG-4 unit coming?

I talked with D* retention Wednesday and they told me mpeg-4 dvr will be coming out mid 2006.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #8 (Print)
bigpuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSh
I talked with D* retention Wednesday and they told me mpeg-4 dvr will be coming out mid 2006.

But it won't be a Tivo.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #9 (Print)
bigpuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo

That has nothing to do with DirecTV or the switch to Mpeg-4.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:15 PM   #10 (Print)
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

Correct again as usual bigpuma. DIRECTV's next generation HD DVR will be MPEG-2/4 capable and is their own in-house DVR development. The platform will be simular to the new DIRECTV SD DVR, model R15, but with several enhancements.

We expect to see limited allocations of the HR20-250 by the end of February '06.

-Robert
DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #11 (Print)
MikeSh

Unfortunately for us Tivo lovers D* has not seen fit to continue with their popular line of Tivo equipped boxes. A real loss for us the consumer, IMO.

MikeS.

Last edited by MikeSh : 12-15-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:56 PM   #12 (Print)
Jon J
Yes. I did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer
We expect to see limited allocations of the HR20-250 by the end of February '06.
Any idea how DirecTV will want to handle the MPEG4 switch for we HD DirecTiVo owners when HD LIL arrives in our cities?

Old 12-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #13 (Print)
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

We are expecting the upgrade to be free or no more than $99.99, which includes the dish and up to 5 HD boxes and the labor. The 5 HD boxes can be any combination of HD STBs and or HD DVRs.

DIRECTV is now requesting for you to surrender your existing HD boxes, so if anyone wants to keep their beloved HD STB and or HD DVR you would need to purchase a HD or HR20-250 and take the $200 mail-in rebate, so DIRECTV will just upgrade your dish and none or at least one less HD box.

-Robert
Old 12-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #14 (Print)
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to KungFuCow Send a message via AIM to KungFuCow Send a message via MSN to KungFuCow
Quote:
We are expecting the upgrade to be free or no more than $99.99, which includes the dish and up to 5 HD boxes and the labor. The 5 HD boxes can be any combination of HD STBs and or HD DVRs.

DIRECTV is now requesting for you to surrender your existing HD boxes, so if anyone wants to keep their beloved HD STB and or HD DVR you would need to purchase a HD or HR20-250 and take the $200 mail-in rebate, so DIRECTV will just upgrade your dish and none or at least one less HD box.

-Robert

So theyre expecting me to give them my $900.00 HD Tivo AND pay an upgrade fee?

Support your local skate shop!
www.asphaltbeach.com
KungFuCow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 05:11 PM   #15 (Print)
Jon J
Yes. I did it.

Not only will DTV not get my box they'll probably lose me as a customer as soon as the Comcast-TiVo box comes out.

Old 12-15-2005, 06:46 PM   #16 (Print)
EMoMoney
Big and Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow
So theyre expecting me to give them my $900.00 HD Tivo AND pay an upgrade fee?

$900 for what?

Old 12-15-2005, 06:51 PM   #17 (Print)
rockon1

Quote:

-Robert

What Tivo function will the new DVR lose? Because I thought tivo has rights to some of there functions.
rockon1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #18 (Print)
mikeny

Quote:

-Robert

One comment and a couple questions:

Comment:

Maybe to some people there's not much difference between free and $100 but to me that's a significant discrepancy.

Questions:

1. I know its common practice in an upgrade to collect the old equipment but really, what's the reason for that? What will be done with the collected HR10-250s?

2. Also, I'm not sure if it was asked already and I don't want to cross the line as far as the new sticky re: discussion of the new DVRS but out of curiosity:

a. What it is the expected retail (not trade-in)cost of the HR20-250?
b. What is the expected retail cost of a dish swap (again without trading in the HR10-250)?

Harmony 688
mikeny is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 07:03 PM   #19 (Print)
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny
One comment and a couple questions:

Comment:

Maybe to some people there's not much difference between free and $100 but to me that's a significant discrepancy.

Questions:

1. I know its common practice in an upgrade to collect the old equipment but really, what's the reason for that? What will be done with the collected HR10-250s?

2. Also, I'm not sure if it was asked already and I don't want to cross the line as far as the new sticky re: discussion of the new DVRS but out of curiosity:

a. What it is the expected retail (not trade-in)cost of the HR20-250?
b. What is the expected retail cost of a dish swap (again without trading in the HR10-250)?

DIRECTV requests $99.99 to upgrade the antenna dish system and up to 5 HD STBs/HD DVRs. Many members have posted that DIRECTV has waived the $99.99 upgrade fee. This $99.99 upgrade fee is charged for the AT9 dish with or without any HD boxes.

We don't have a price for the HR20-250, but if you asked me to take a guess, my somewhat foggy crystal ball would suggest $499. less the normal $200 rebate. This is only my best guess and is not based on any information I have received from DIRECTV.

-Robert
Old 12-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #20 (Print)
Monty_Ward

KungFuCow:

Cost has little to do with value. The fact that we all paid $800 to $1,000 for the unit when it came out has nothing to do with its present worth. As DTivoDealer states, its your choice if you want to keep the unit and pay to have another one, or to give it up and take the replacement. This seems like a reasonable request from DTV.

Monty
Monty_Ward is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #21 (Print)
mikeny

Quote:
We don't have a price for the HR20-250, but if you asked me to take a guess, my somewhat foggy crystal ball would suggest $499. less the normal $200 rebate. This is only my best guess and is not based on any information I have received from DIRECTV.

I appreciate your guesstimate. Even when your using your foggy crystal ball, I've observed it to be more on target than most other speculators.

Harmony 688
mikeny is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #22 (Print)
ChofuHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J
Not only will DTV not get my box they'll probably lose me as a customer as soon as the Comcast-TiVo box comes out.

Me too, and I have seven boxes, most TiVo's and subscribe to the maximum package you can buy, including Playboy. They treated me like crap for my motorhome waiver and I have a long memory. If they produce the best box and provide a good upgrade path for my two HR-10;s I would listen. If Comcast comes out with anything at all that is comparable, D* is in my history book.
ChofuHS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 08:10 PM   #23 (Print)
TSpoonEars
I'll get my coat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChofuHS

Me too, and I have seven boxes, most TiVo's and subscribe to the maximum package you can buy, including Playboy. They treated me like crap for my motorhome waiver and I have a long memory. If they produce the best box and provide a good upgrade path for my two HR-10;s I would listen. If Comcast comes out with anything at all that is comparable, D* is in my history book.

Me three. Some upgrade plan. It's far from free if I have to hand back my Tivo, or pay $500 (minus rebate) for a new box and $100 for another dish. Are they going to pay me back the extended warranty I have on it as well?

This paying for upgrades all the time reminds of my PC gaming days and is why I now use the consoles for playing games. With all the money I spent on DirecTV I could have leased cable boxes for about 15 years. It's the Tivo reliability and dual-tuner goodness that keeps me with DirecTV right now and as soon as that UI is on the Comcast boxes I'm off if that's how they're going to treat their best customers.
TSpoonEars is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 08:30 PM   #24 (Print)
aztivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuma
That has nothing to do with DirecTV or the switch to Mpeg-4.

Where did theOP say he wanted the D* HD he is asking about the TIVO HD the way I read it!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 08:49 PM   #25 (Print)
maharg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo
Where did theOP say he wanted the D* HD he is asking about the TIVO HD the way I read it!!!

He asked about a Tivo with MPEG-4. There is no such thing, nor is one even on the drawing board.

By mentioning MPEG-4, most people would assume he is talking about a Directivo that supports MPEG-4, and that will never happen either.

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo
maharg18 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 09:25 PM   #26 (Print)
lajohn27
Fanboi.. So what?

With respect to some of the psychics in this thread.. I'll go the other way.

I believe next gen stand alone TIVO's (SD only) will be MP4 capable at a minimum for playback of broadband based materials and possibly for the encoder/recording functionality.

The HD units will simply record the digital stream from the cableco direct to the hard drive... last I checked that's not likely to change to MP4 - but then.. you never know what those crazy cable kids will do.

But for a standalone analog TIVO (presuming there is a next generation) to ignore MP4 as an encoding/storage solution would be well.. pretty stupid. The gains in storage capacity and quality are too great too ignore.

I'm curious why several other folks in this thread use the words "never" and "not on the drawing board" - do you guys work there? Have you seen the secret microfilms the rest of us haven't?

Why the strong opinions?

As discussion progresses in any TCF thread where the thread resembles trolling from the first post; the likelihood of the original poster bringing up stock data nears 1.
lajohn27 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #27 (Print)
Smthkd

My question is whether or not the new HR20-250 will have a "Native Resolution" setting because right now it sucks that the HR10-250 dosen't. I hate having to switch back and forth between 720p and 1080i manually!
Smthkd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 11:33 PM   #28 (Print)
Redux
No intent to annoy

Quote:
This is only my best guess and is not based on any information I have received from DIRECTV.t

I don't know many consumer product retailers so I'm asking you, if you don't mind. Just curious. When a consumer product company starts down the road to suicide, do they ever think to call up their retailers and ask "Hey, how do you think people are going to react to all this?"

I hope you have other product lines. Bad as cable is, and horrible as Dish is, DTV is dead.
Redux is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 11:33 PM   #29 (Print)
bdlucas
Axiomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smthkd
I hate having to switch back and forth between 720p and 1080i manually!

So don't do it.
bdlucas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 11:56 PM   #30 (Print)
Jotas
Got TV?

Send a message via AIM to Jotas
Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSpoonEars
Me three. Some upgrade plan. It's far from free if I have to hand back my Tivo, or pay $500 (minus rebate) for a new box and $100 for another dish. Are they going to pay me back the extended warranty I have on it as well?

This paying for upgrades all the time reminds of my PC gaming days and is why I now use the consoles for playing games. With all the money I spent on DirecTV I could have leased cable boxes for about 15 years. It's the Tivo reliability and dual-tuner goodness that keeps me with DirecTV right now and as soon as that UI is on the Comcast boxes I'm off if that's how they're going to treat their best customers.

Me four. I am going to have to price it out and possibly go back to cable, but I will probably only jump after hearing reviews and possibly seeing the box in action. I still would not let Comcast take my receivers as they are claiming they need to do with their latest promo/junk mail that I have been receiving.
Jotas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post