July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2005, 07:22 AM   #1 (Print)
Nevets
Dismembered

nic_config_tivo fails with Segmentation Fault

Ever since I upgraded my Tivo from 120Gb to 300GB (which seemed to go ok - including the LBA48 kernel upgrade), the daily call has failed with "service unavailable". Trying to run nic_config_tivo results in it failing just after "Checking Software Version..." with the message "Segmentation Fault".

I've had a good search, but can't find any mention of "Segmentation Fault" relating to nic_config_tivo. I thought it could have been that my cachecard drivers were too old, and weren't compatible with the LBA48 kernel, but upgrading them (taking the drive out and running nic_install cachecard) didn't make any difference. Interestingly nic_install produces very similar output to nic_config_tivo, and DIDN'T fail at the "Checking Software Version..." step.

Any ideas? (I'm desperate now, as my Tivo is out of guide data, and I'm emigrating TOMORROW!)
Nevets is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-13-2005, 07:45 AM   #2 (Print)
cleudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevets
Ever since I upgraded my Tivo from 120Gb to 300GB (which seemed to go ok - including the LBA48 kernel upgrade), the daily call has failed with "service unavailable". Trying to run nic_config_tivo results in it failing just after "Checking Software Version..." with the message "Segmentation Fault".

Hope this isn't too obvious, but did you download the LBA48 version of the .iso file for the network drivers?

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=990

Jim
cleudo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-13-2005, 07:50 AM   #3 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

If you can ping any external IP address from the bash prompt then your TiVo should be able to make it's call over the internet.

What does your /etc/rc.d/rc.net file look like?

Also, what are you running at startup? Commands in rc.sysinit.author which aren't properly backgrounded can cause the 'number unavaliable' error.

blindlemon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-13-2005, 08:06 AM   #4 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleudo
Hope this isn't too obvious, but did you download the LBA48 version of the .iso file for the network drivers?
AFAIK this is not necessary for a UK TiVo unless you run into the '/dev/hdc not found' error from nic_install.

LBA48 support in the kernel does not require user-level programs (such as nic_config_tivo) to be recompiled as it is entirely transparent.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:28 AM   #5 (Print)
Nevets
Dismembered

Thanks for the quick replies guys...

Yes, I did use the LBA48 version of the .iso for the new Cachecard drivers.

I have no problems pinging things outside my gateway.

My rc.net file:
Code:
if /sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/turbonet2.o macaddr=00:0B:AD:69:C6:AB ; then export DYNAMIC_NET_DEV=eth0 /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.111 netmask 255.255.255.0 up /sbin/route.tivo add default gw 192.168.2.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 fi

Does this look right?

I have no idea how to check what is running at startup - I'm using TivoWeb, but not EndPad. How do I tell if things are backgrounded properly?
Old 06-13-2005, 08:32 AM   #6 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

You could try using the non-LBA49 one then... I have only ever used that, and with no problems so far...

Your rc.net looks fine.

A command is backgrounded if it has a "&" sign after it. TiVoWeb doesn't need one as it backgrounds itself automatically as does, IIRC, EndPad.

However, you could try commenting out everything except TiVoWeb and see if that helps.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:48 AM   #7 (Print)
Nevets
Dismembered

As far as I know I was using the non-LBA48 one before I installed newer drivers for the cachecard - so I doubt it's that.

Is there any way I can check whether Tivo is configured to dial-out via the phone or network without using nic_config_tivo?

At the moment, I'm stuck in Guided Setup at the first call. It won't connect with or without the ,#401 prefix. I've even tried the 0845 number with the same "Number unavailable" problem.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:50 AM   #8 (Print)
Nevets
Dismembered

Forgot to say that the only thing in my rc.sysinit.author (I think that's the file that runs things at startup) is the command to start TivoWeb.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:42 AM   #9 (Print)
Nevets
Dismembered

Having looked in my logs, there are several different things complaining of segmentation violations, and errors allocating memory. I'm beginning to think that maybe the disk upgrade is to blame. I thoroughly surface tested the drive before using it, and there were no errors but the more I think about it, the more I'm doubting the upgrade. Maybe it's time to try it again? (Shame about all those new recordings I've got on the new drive)
Old 08-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #10 (Print)
Deadslow
Ordinary member

Did you ever get to the bottom of this. I have found I have the same error on a new drive and have run out of guide data.

Cheers

Tivo 160gb + Sky + Cachecard
Tivo 160gb + Freeview + Cachecard
Deadslow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 09:09 AM   #11 (Print)
Glesgie

Two Suggestions.

1. I had the same problem that went away after I ran mfscheck (produced MFS errors)
and I then ran nfsassert -please, got GSOD for a while, rebooted and all OK.

2. nic_config_tivo will take a parameter that forces a software version number if
it fails to find one automatically. Look in the "Other forum" where the driver support resides
under the faq .
Glesgie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 05:29 PM   #12 (Print)
Deadslow
Ordinary member

Mfsassert came up with a segmentation fault as well. The second suggestion I followed (when I could get my small brain to work out what to do) and it worked! Ta very much...

I've discovered I also had the same problem on my other tivo where I've also changed disks so that has cured it. What I don't understand is why it happened.

Tivo 160gb + Sky + Cachecard
Tivo 160gb + Freeview + Cachecard
Deadslow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2005, 06:20 AM   #13 (Print)
mrtickle

The main cachecard and turbonet support forum with FAQs is at Silicon Dust here:
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/
No rules preventing that one being mentioned

Jafa who built the things and wrote the drivers posts there.
mrtickle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 07:40 PM   #14 (Print)
Nevets
Dismembered

Sorry I never got around to posting the solution to my problem - I've been busy emigrating to sunny (bloody hot) Oz.

I solved my segmentation fault problem by running copykern. It turns out that in my haste to get the upgrade done (the second time around) I had forgotten to run copykern after restoring, so I was running the non LBA48 kernel on an LBA48 drive.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:06 AM   #15 (Print)
cwaring

Send a message via MSN to cwaring
I had the same problem once when I recently installed the card and Tivoweb, etc. so would have suggested that had you posted more recently

Incidently, I've just been speaking to my Uncle Peter in Australia and he has also commented on the heat down there. Around 40 deg C he tells me

Telewest Active Digital with Pace 2000 STB
Now with added Tivoweb!
Tivo TV Ads & PDF Manuals
cwaring is offline Report Bad Post Report Post