Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2005, 03:53 AM   #1 (Print)
jasonnzl

Moving to the UK

I'm moving to the UK from the US and am wondering if I can use my Series 2 TiVo in the UK? Does anyone know of any issues with PAL vs NTSC, software, etc?

Thanks.
jasonnzl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 03:55 AM   #2 (Print)
Benedict
Always Thinking!

Send a message via MSN to Benedict
The short answer is no.

Even if you could overcome the PAL/NTSC issues (which is possible AFAIK) your Series 2 will not be recognised by TiVo's UK servers, which means you will not be able to get any UK guide data.

Ben

Old 01-25-2005, 04:00 AM   #3 (Print)
jasonnzl

thanks, it was wishful thinking at best...
jasonnzl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 04:56 AM   #4 (Print)
iankb

For the whole of the UK user group, that's 'wishful thinking' - unfortunately.

Obviously, not enough people prayed to Santa at Christmas.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
iankb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 09:16 AM   #5 (Print)
pgogborn

Just to mention a point that takes some Americans moving to the UK by surprise.

The BBC is funded by a tax on all television owners - households are required to buy a annual licence which for most currently costs Ł121.00 (there are some discounts ) >
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/
pgogborn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 09:26 AM   #6 (Print)
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

Quote:
Originally posted by pgogborn
Just to mention a point that takes some Americans moving to the UK by surprise.

The BBC is funded by a tax on all television owners - households are required to buy a annual licence which for most currently costs Ł121.00 (there are some discounts ) >
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/

Sorry for going off topic...

But when i was an undergraduate at uni i heard that you could avoid this cost if you used a TV tuner card in a computer.

If its still true then you could potentially go out and buy a Plasma/LCD (with no tuner) and run that off a PC with a TV card! If the licensing agency came round then you could just say the big screen was used for DVDs and PC games output...

Old 01-25-2005, 09:37 AM   #7 (Print)
George
Yet another member

Quote:
Originally posted by shanew
Sorry for going off topic...

But when i was an undergraduate at uni i heard that you could avoid this cost if you used a TV tuner card in a computer.

Not legally no and the licensing enforcement people have heard it all before.....
George is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 09:58 AM   #8 (Print)
spaaa
Tivo Enthusiast

The only tv they don't charge you a license for is one that is powered by batteries..... ie the 5" crappy portable tv's you can buy...... This was how the licensing worked last time i checked (about 5 years ago).

But technically, a laptop works off a battery, so a tv tuner for that would be ok.

when i was at uni i considered getting a car battery, an invertor and a normal tv.

spaaa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 10:42 AM   #9 (Print)
Ian_m

Quote:
when i was at uni i considered getting a car battery, an invertor and a normal tv

Still need a licence unless your TV is powered by internal batteries, such as a pocket-sized TV.

From http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk
Ian_m is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 11:20 AM   #10 (Print)
Mr 999

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian_m
Still need a licence unless your TV is powered by internal batteries, such as a pocket-sized TV.

"when i was at uni i considered getting a car battery, an invertor and a normal tv... and a big box"
Mr 999 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 11:53 AM   #11 (Print)
George
Yet another member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian_m

The internal batteries exclusion only applies to students where their parents have a full TV license, no-one else.

When I was at Bath I aquired a 14" colour portable that had a 12v input. Bolted two 12v sealed gel type lead acid batteries in. It was just about a one man lift still

I rigged them to two phono plugs on the outside and had one on charge with the other looped back to the 12v input.... It was just possible for the charger to charge one before the other went flat!
George is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #12 (Print)
aerialplug
Expert TiVo User

Location: London (near enough anyway.. people laugh when I say the name of the place I actually come from!)
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 999
"when i was at uni i considered getting a car battery, an invertor and a normal tv... and a big box"

Someone I knew put a 12 inch B&W portable TV (which had a 12 volt input) in a new "case". Left it charging during the day - had enough power for an evening's TV. It was even examined by a licence inspector and passed

Old 01-25-2005, 03:54 PM   #13 (Print)
Milhouse

I thought the licence is for the ability to receive not to watch, therefore it's technically the tuner you are paying for and not the TV itself. A tuner in a PC would need a licence, but a TV without a tuner (ie. plasma) used only as a monitor (for computer usage or for DVD viewing etc.) would not need a licence.

The following quote from the TV Licensing site seems to agree with my understanding...

Quote:
If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.
Milhouse is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #14 (Print)
Mr 999

No, you can now detune your regular TV (for use with DVDs or consoles) and avoid the fee.
Mr 999 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 06:34 PM   #15 (Print)
Johnny_boy

Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny_boy
I used to love the fact that they gave discount to blind people, but only on the colour license, not the black and white one! It was still dearer to get the colour license even with the discount.

I suppose it took into account others in the house may use it but still...

TiVo (since November 2000) with Airnet , Tivo connected to Panasonic Freeview, Sony 32" LCD Telly, Sky+ V2, Yamaha 630 RDS AV receiver with 6.1 dts/ES, Dolby/EX/Prologic II/I, Kiss 450 DVD,DiVX,DVD-R/RW,(S)VCD, WMA player, Sony DVD+/-R/RW recorder, Simdevices Squeezebox Graphic.
Johnny_boy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-28-2005, 12:14 PM   #16 (Print)
hatofthecat

I've just looked it up and radio licences i.e. "to listen to the wireless grandad" were only phased out in 1971 .....that explains why I had to listen to Ed Stewpot under bed covers then

Last edited by hatofthecat : 01-28-2005 at 12:21 PM.
hatofthecat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 12:30 AM   #17 (Print)
gyro

TV licensing

If hypothetically video extraction was possible and programmes transferred to a daughter at Uni. Having no TV receiving apparatus, am I right in thinking there would be no need for a second TV license. I know it would be breaking copyright law. I am just asking about TV licensing.

Gyro
gyro is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 03:54 AM   #18 (Print)
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 999
No, you can now detune your regular TV (for use with DVDs or consoles) and avoid the fee.

No you can't. You can pay to have the tuner removed and certified as being tunerless, or buy a tunerless machine but thats probably a lot more than you want to pay. The fact it's not tuned to anything is irrelevent, the fact it has a tuner in it is all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyro
If hypothetically video extraction was possible and programmes transferred to a daughter at Uni. Having no TV receiving apparatus, am I right in thinking there would be no need for a second TV license.

The licence is for equipment capable of recieving broadcasts not how you use it. If she watched that stream / file on a device that has no tuner you should be fine. However if the PC / DVD/ Whatever has a tuner she's not.

Interestingly the B&W licence is to be phased out once we all go digital. The point there is the freeview box is capable of recieving colour TV so you need a colour licence. Even if you choose to watch it on a B&W tv (Can you still buy them???) you need a colour licence as the freeview box is capable of recieving colour.
Gavin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 05:18 AM   #19 (Print)
ndunlavey
Just a user, really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin
No you can't. You can pay to have the tuner removed and certified as being tunerless, or buy a tunerless machine

Yes you can, and no you don't need to do that.

From http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/gethelp/faqs.jsp#link1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Licensing
What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?
----------

You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one our Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

Please write to us including your name, address and the reason you believe that you don't need a licence

Old 12-17-2005, 05:19 AM   #20 (Print)
steford

Don't really want to drag this "debate" out much further but Gavin, you are slightly wrong there. if you don't actually watch TV then you can't be charged for it. Therefore a TV detuned or with the aerial unplugged is exempt (as you'll never be watching TV on it). The license is not to own a TV, it's to watch programmes on it. I cleared this up by calling the TV licensing people directly to settle a bet some years ago (which I won!)
steford is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 08:01 AM   #21 (Print)
cwaring

Send a message via MSN to cwaring
So, in theory, one could just detune their TV and unplug the aerial when the Licencing folk come caling then reset everthing when they've gone!

Telewest Active Digital with Pace 2000 STB
Now with added Tivoweb!
Tivo TV Ads & PDF Manuals
cwaring is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #22 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by steford
I cleared this up by calling the TV licensing people directly to settle a bet some years ago
If that was before 2003 then things have changed since.

Looking at the FAQ linked above I noticed another little present from Gordon:-
Quote:
You may have been informed, in the past, that a television licence was not required if you received television program services from outside the United Kingdom. This was changed in the Communications Act 2003, and if you are using your TV to receive or record television programmes broadcast by satellite from outside the UK, you are now legally required to have a TV licence.
- so even if you only watch foreign channels via satellite (ie. NOT BBC) then you still have to pay, according to this

blindlemon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 09:10 AM   #23 (Print)
cwaring

That's probably because it's a TV licence, not a BBC licence. The licence is for receiving broadcast signals; whoever they come from. Maybe. I think.

Now with added Tivoweb!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:22 AM   #24 (Print)
aerialplug
Expert TiVo User

Location: London (near enough anyway.. people laugh when I say the name of the place I actually come from!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaring
So, in theory, one could just detune their TV and unplug the aerial when the Licencing folk come caling then reset everthing when they've gone!

I used to know someone who did this - and got their set inspected officially just to be sure. The TVL people were happy with the situation - no aerial to be seen and both TV & VCR detuned. They never watched anything live, but however relied on friends and relatives to tape things off telly for them... Hmmm - I wonder what the legal situation is there?

They still get nasty letters from the licencing people as do all UK addresses that don't have a licence registered to the address regardless of the number of times they're told there's no telly at the address - they seem to work on the presumption of guilt rather than inocence.

There was a case very recently of the BBC's R&D department building's facility manager getting a nasty "get a licence now or else" letter!

Old 12-21-2005, 04:56 AM   #25 (Print)
randap
Knee-down scratcher?

If you buy new anything that contains a TV tuner (TV, VCR, Freeview etc) you have to fill out a form so that they can check you have a licence.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:02 AM   #26 (Print)
healeydave
tivoland.com

jee's, the guy only asked if he could bring his series 2 tivo to the uk!

;-)

Old 12-21-2005, 05:06 AM   #27 (Print)
Ian_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by randap
If you buy new anything that contains a TV tuner (TV, VCR, Freeview etc) you have to fill out a form so that they can check you have a licence.

Correct.

My mate bought a PC Teletext card, many years ago, to receive teletext on his PC (can't remember why....) but this was pre-internet days 1986'ish and shortly after getting the PC card got a visit from the TV licencing people wanting to see his TV licence as he now owned equipment capable of receiving a TV signal !!!

Anyway he ended up buying a licence (black and white was sufficient) but it did spur him on to investigate the PC board and tuner area where he did manage to get a TV signal out to his monitor so he could watch TV......
Old 12-21-2005, 06:15 AM   #28 (Print)
Sneals2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_m
Correct.

My mate bought a PC Teletext card, many years ago, to receive teletext on his PC (can't remember why....) but this was pre-internet days 1986'ish and shortly after getting the PC card got a visit from the TV licencing people wanting to see his TV licence as he now owned equipment capable of receiving a TV signal !!!

Anyway he ended up buying a licence (black and white was sufficient) but it did spur him on to investigate the PC board and tuner area where he did manage to get a TV signal out to his monitor so he could watch TV......

Quite a few of the BBC Micro teletext receivers (though not the Acorn one ISTR) had composite video and audio outputs on them, which made it even easier.
Sneals2000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 06:24 AM   #29 (Print)
Ian_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneals2000
Quite a few of the BBC Micro teletext receivers (though not the Acorn one ISTR) had composite video and audio outputs on them, which made it even easier.
I think the reason he bought the PC teletext adapter was because he had previously had a Morely (??) BBC teletext adapter for his BBC computer. Not the official Acorn one. That reminds me I have a Morely teletext adpater and BBC model B with a monster 35MB hard disk packed away in the loft....one of these days....I will get time.....
Old 12-21-2005, 06:28 AM   #30 (Print)
cwaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by healeydave
jee's, the guy only asked if he could bring his series 2 tivo to the uk!

Like a thread's never gone OT at any point

Now with added Tivoweb!