July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2005, 09:37 AM   #1 (Print)
80sQueen

Arrow Multi-Room Viewing Not Working!

Hello, all!

I currently have to Series 2 TiVo's connected to my wireless home network. This was a feat in itself, as I am not a computer guru by any means. However, I cannot get the TiVo's to have a peer-to-peer connection in order to transfer recordings from room to room without disconnecting the connection to my wireless network.

I've checked out the TiVo Troubleshooting area on the website, and quite frankly, aside from speaking another language, the screen shots they show don't match mine in the Setup Area.

Is there an easy way to fix this?? After this, my next step is to get TiVo to Go set up and then the whole DVD burning process. Does TiVo to Go need to be installed on my PC in order for the Multi-Room viewing to be active?

I appreciate this site, and it has helped me out throughout my whole TiVo process over the past 6 months. I really love my TiVo's, and I want to take advantage of every feature it has to offer!

Any assistance or guidance would be extremely appreciated!

Thx,
80sQueen
80sQueen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #2 (Print)
kagliett

can't transfer

I'm having a similar problem. Both units are on the network and I know that part is working because they're connecting to Tivo over wireless and through my broadband connection. The two units "see" each other because they show up in the what's playing list on each other. BUT, when I select a unit to see what's playing on that unit, it says it can't transfer because the unit does not yet "recognize" the other unit. But if it doesn't recognize it - why does it list the name of that unit in now playing???? When I go to my account on the web site, both units show up and transfers are enabled. I've also connected to TIVO from both units to get any updates, etc. So, they talk to the network, have IP addresses, etc. we do not have mulitple subnets, they just won't transfer with each other.

Kim
kagliett is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:17 PM   #3 (Print)
beejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sQueen
Does TiVo to Go need to be installed on my PC in order for the Multi-Room viewing to be active?

No, it doesn't. (As a matter of fact, I started with just a point-to-point connection of my two TiVos).

Sorry I can't answer the hard questions, but I thought I'd answer the simple one I know the answer to.

S1 - 63 hours (unsubscribed)

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops
Overkill?
beejay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:39 PM   #4 (Print)
scole250

kagliett,

Have your Tivos connected for a service update since you enabled MRV on the web site? If not, they each may not know MRV is enabled yet. Connect to the Tivo service and get an update on both on your units.

80sQueen,

Sounds like you have some basic network configuration issues. Have you been able to verify that each Tivo is connected and working on your network correctly? Are they receiving service updates via a broadband connection? Explain this a little more...

"I cannot get the TiVo's to have a peer-to-peer connection in order to transfer recordings from room to room without disconnecting the connection to my wireless network."

Do your Tivos get their IP Address from your DHCP server or did you assign a static IP address? If you assigned a static address to each, are the IP Addresses different on each Tivo?

Last edited by scole250 : 12-30-2005 at 02:52 PM.
scole250 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #5 (Print)
kagliett

media access key

Just got off the phone with a Tivo support person. I'm skeptical of the answer but will wait and give it a chance to work. He had me power off my router and both Tivo's then power it all back on - no change. Also, yes, the Tivo's have both been connected and gotten updates - several times.

Anyway, from the Tivo desktop on my PC, he noticed that our two Tivo's have different media access keys. He says they should be the same. Our two Tivo's initially got set up as two different accounts and were combined yesterday. The web site says it can take up to 24 hours for the change to take effect and it's been more than that. The support guy just now says it can take more like 72 hours! So his answer was to wait 72 hours and see if that fixes it. Seems odd to me since the "My Account" web site shows both units already. But, I guess I'll just wait and see though I don't understand what the media access key for the Tivo to Go desktop has to do with peer to peer transfers...

Kim
kagliett is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 03:46 PM   #6 (Print)
petew

The MAK is the encryption key. It's used in MRV as well as TivoToGo. Tivo's with different MAK's can't share recordings through MRV.

Home Media Option: $0
No conflicts and no arguments: Priceless
petew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 03:54 PM   #7 (Print)
scole250

The response from support sounds reasonable. Sounds like the media access key is used to control transfers between Tivos just like transfers from Tivo to PC. The web site may list both units under your account, but it's the media access key on your Tivos that actually allow the transfer. I guess it just takes a little time to push a new key out. One of the gurus might be able to confirm that.
scole250 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post