Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2005, 11:02 PM   #1 (Print)
slouzebery

New Year's Eve Need Help W/Mobile Setup

I am going with a bunch of friends to a cabin for New Year's Eve. I want to take the Directv because I have NFL Sunday Ticket and need to watch games on Sunday.

Can I get any advice on how to set this up? Do I aim in the same direction as it currently is? Do I need to do guided setup and enter in new zip code? Do I point to the south and keep moving around until I get a signal?

Please help..

I dont need the tivo to be functional so that is no problem. I just need help on how to set it up and aim. I have a tripod mount so that is not an issue either.

If it helps I will be about 150 miles north of my current home setup and on an island in Puget Sound. Does that Matter??

Thanks!!!
slouzebery is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 11:57 PM   #2 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slouzebery
....on an island in Puget Sound. Does that Matter??

Thanks!!!
Sure it matters, keep it out of the water! Aim it at about the same elevation and azimuth as you use at home. I doubt that 150 miles will make any difference - probably less than half a degree on the protractor (the satellite is 23,000 miles high). In other words the margin for error on your aiming ability is within the range that covers both of your locations if they are only 150 miles apart. (In other words if you are supposed to be at 147 degrees where you are now and the cabin location calls for 150 degrees, I'll bet that when you aim that you are not accurate to within 3 degrees). So just use your home coordinates and "fine tune it". But, don't take my word for it. Run through the guided set up while you are still at home and enter a zip code for your cabin locale and compare it to what you have for your home.
willardcpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 06:52 AM   #3 (Print)
y2khardtop

don't forget your compass, and watch out for trees. Remember, the signal deflects off of the dish, so the actual line of sight is steeper than you think.

I used to travel around the country (and Canada) with a tripod unit. I laminated a sheet with all of the race tracks coordinates. I agree, you want the data before you leave.

btw, if you happen to have a non-Tivo DTV receiver, it might be easier to get the thing lined up. The old RCA units with the loud "beeping" signal were great.
y2khardtop is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:24 PM   #4 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Leave GS alone, use it as set up.
You might be out of your locals spot beam, which could affect the game.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-31-2005, 01:10 AM   #5 (Print)
slouzebery

Would not having the locals mean anything to my NFL Sunday Ticket?

Will the Tivo be confused and therefore not allow the receiver to function properly?

Thanks
slouzebery is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-31-2005, 02:26 AM   #6 (Print)
austin61

Quote:
Originally Posted by slouzebery
Would not having the locals mean anything to my NFL Sunday Ticket?
If your local station is broadcasting a game, that game MAY be blacked out on your Sunday Ticket package.
austin61 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post