July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2005, 07:06 PM   #1 (Print)
PhilG

"That" sound problem

Hi folks,

Clutching at straws a little here, but anyway....

I am currently "away" and I notice from TivoWeb that my Tivo restarted itself the other day (since I left home).

Now I am sitting here wondering whether it has restarted WITH or WITHOUT sound!

I have the "T" tools installed, but I am the wrong side of my home firewall.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to determine whether Tivo is recording sound or not?

I am happy to receive replies here (if appropriate) or you can mail me at philg@philgrainger.demon.co.uk if that is more appropriate

Yours (with fingers crossed)

Phil G

Old 09-27-2005, 04:56 AM   #2 (Print)
aerialplug
Expert TiVo User

Location: London (near enough anyway.. people laugh when I say the name of the place I actually come from!)
I'm confused - why would TiVo reboot and not record sound? I've had a couple of "random" reboots but I've never had a reboot which didn't record sound.

Old 09-27-2005, 07:12 AM   #3 (Print)
RichardJH

I upgraded my Tivo to 250gb and cachecard with 512 ram and added Tivoweb Hackman Digiguide Search and endpad all of which work now. My earlier problems (in another thread Upgrade success BUT !!!!!) were down to not getting the backup/restore correct.

However I have had to reboot a few times because of moving the kit around and on at least twice have found that I had no sound on live TV but it worked ok on AUX so therefore not a scart problem. Previously recorded programmes played back OK. To get sound back on live TV I had to do a restart from the Tivo menu.

Odd thing is that when it came back on it was on channel 101 and showed BBC1 SE on live tv by doing a channel up then down back to 101 it went to BBC1 LDN which is what I have selected in channels I recieve. BBC1SE is not selected.

Anybody have any ides
RichardJH is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-27-2005, 07:44 AM   #4 (Print)
PhilG

Just to clarify

Some(?) Tivos restart WITHOUT sound sometimes (under some circumstances)

SO, when my Tivo reboots (or if I need to reboot it) I ALWAYS have to check to make sure I can get sound - about 1 time in 3, I need to do another reboot to get the sound back.

When it does this, the analogue channels are missing as well

I guess what I need to know NOW, is what ports to forward through my firewall to get "T" tools working remotely......

Old 09-27-2005, 07:57 AM   #5 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Phil,

If the sound chip initialises correctly then you will get the following lines in the kernel log after a reboot:-
Code:
Jan 1 00:01:02 (none) kernel: Msp: MajorRevCode Version Jan 1 00:01:02 (none) kernel: Msp: ROM Version 0xa25 Jan 1 00:01:02 (none) kernel: Msp: ProductCode = 0xa Jan 1 00:01:02 (none) kernel: Msp: MSP3410 Jan 1 00:01:02 (none) kernel: MSP34X0D
Otherwise there will be some stuff about MSP errors...

blindlemon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-27-2005, 08:11 AM   #6 (Print)
PhilG

This is EXACTLT what I need

Snag is, when I browse the kernel log in TivoWeb, it only shows me todays stuff (and Okernel.log only has yesterdays) - my reboot was 5 days ago

Can I get back to the log information from then???

Old 09-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #7 (Print)
aerialplug
Expert TiVo User

Location: London (near enough anyway.. people laugh when I say the name of the place I actually come from!)
reboot it again remotely when it's not recording something - that way you'll know for sure that at least everything from now on is recording.

Interesting bug that - I'd never heard of it before. Is it with RF or does it happen with SCART recordings?

Old 09-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #8 (Print)
PhilG

I "think" I now have enough of "T" working remotely for me to be sure I still have sound.

But anyway, the symptoms of this problem are:

1. NO sound gets recorded either from RF or from SCART
2. Live TV shows NO SIGNAL on any RF channel
3. Live TV shows pictures from SCART but no sound
4. Already recorded shows are just fine

SOMETIMES, channel changing up and down a few times cures the problem, but sometimes t doesn't

Old 09-27-2005, 12:08 PM   #9 (Print)
MikeMcr

I never had the sound problem until I replaced two drives with a single 250GB. Now if I ever have to power off and back on the TiVo, there is no sound. A software reboot restores the sound. I even tried replacing the power supply with no luck.

I have a CacheCard but it is the sound-fixed version.
MikeMcr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-27-2005, 02:45 PM   #10 (Print)
PhilG

"sound fixed" cachecard???

What's one of those?

Old 09-27-2005, 02:49 PM   #11 (Print)
MikeMcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilG
"sound fixed" cachecard???

What's one of those?

One that doesn't cause the sound to drop-out after a period of time. The initial batches had to be replaced.
MikeMcr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #12 (Print)
PhilG

OK

My sound is A-OK (until after a reboot) so I guess I am safe from THAT problem anyway!

Thanks

Old 09-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #13 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

All the cachecards shipped in the last year or so have been firmware revison 2.2 - which is the "sound fix" that Mike's talking about.

Unfortunately some TiVos just seem to be particularly sensitive to slight voltage drops and this affects the initialisation of the sound chip... sometimes.

If you are particularly concerned, you could possibly write a script that runs at startup to check the kernel log for MSP initialisation errors and force a reboot if it finds them.

blindlemon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #14 (Print)
PhilG

I don't doubt that SOMEONE could, but certainly not me

Also, I think some sort of alert might be preferable to an auto reboot - just in case it got into an infinite reboot loop

Old 09-29-2005, 12:45 PM   #15 (Print)
mrtickle

Indeed. I don't think it's that complicated - have a script fired off from rc.sysinit.author (NB: author) which can grep the kernel log for the MSP errors. This will only run at startup, and will therefore always get the MSP parts of the kernel log before it's rotated and the information is lost.

You could then get it to create a TiVo Message warning you about this which you can read remotely from TiVoweb, or (simpler!) just append the output of the script to a logfile in /var/log , again which you can read from TiVoweb using the built-in Log module. (custom logfiles in that directory don't get rotated, they just get bigger!).

Then it's just a matter of reading the logfile/message when you're away, deciding if there is a sound problem, and remotely rebooting if you want to (I think Hackman lets you do this?).
mrtickle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:08 PM   #16 (Print)
PhilG

I LIKE it - especially the part about dropping a Tivo message saying "I rebooted, but I may be silent........"

Now I just need someone to write the script for me (or point me at something that does something similar.......)

Any takers???