July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2004, 05:07 PM   #1 (Print)
omry_y

I want to build a tivo like system

Hi all.
I am toying with the idea of creating a Tivo like system, and I would like some advice about the hardware.
what I have in mind is an pc running linux, with some capturing hardware, a fairly large hd, and enough horse power to handle video recoding,
and ofcourse a video card with good tv out, which works well under linux.

an obvious idea is to connect it to the satellite receiver (that box that got the channels guide and control the current channel etc), control it via the pc, and get the tv guide from it.
another idea, maybe less obvious, is to create a web interface to the recording program, to allow recording things remotely.

I would also like to know if there are existing projects out there that already started working on something similar - It would be more productive to join efforts in such a case.
omry_y is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-31-2004, 05:50 PM   #2 (Print)
TivoGeezer
Boomer pushing 60

Send a message via AIM to TivoGeezer
I seem to remember hearing of something called FreeVo, but, why not just get a TiVo? No offense intended but, I'll bet you can't do a better job.

Sometimes I look so much like my Dad, I scare myself.
TivoGeezer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-31-2004, 06:48 PM   #3 (Print)
Robert S

FreeVo and MythTV are the two most famous ones.

But this site (or, at least, this part of this site) is for talking about actual TiVoes, not adding TV recording functions to PC's.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:46 AM   #4 (Print)
omry_y

TivoGeezer, I will might not do a better job at recording from the tv, but it will be a general purpose multimedia machine, for music, movies (dvd or just downloaded episodes), some games, as well as recording stuff - so overall, I think it can do better stuff than a tivo.
also, I suspect tivo will not integrate with my satellite receiver
Old 11-01-2004, 02:47 AM   #5 (Print)
omry_y

Robert, I will have a look for these two, thanks.
Is there a more appropriate part of this site for this kind of question?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:02 AM   #6 (Print)
Robert S

I haven't really looked into it. I'm sure there's a lot of resources out there. It's a question that comes up quite regularly on slashdot.org

There is a lot of useful stuff at dvdhelp.com, although it's more related to burning DVD's than to PVR functions.

There's probably a suitable forum on avsforum.com, too.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:03 PM   #7 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Tivo will integrate with mose digital DBS type satellite receivers out there just fine.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-01-2004, 01:15 PM   #8 (Print)
crow
Ub3r Techno Geek

Send a message via AIM to crow
A good friend of mine skimped and went with the MythTV solution.. The interface is nice and it as some functionality that TiVo lacks (and vice versa). The nicest thing about solutions like this is that they tend to store video in very PC friendly formats, but you'll need a monster machine to really be able to squeeze the performance as the SQL database used by such software is not nearly as speedy as MFS and besides.. Who wants to park a PC at or near their TV anyway? sheesh.

--CroW

1 Upgraded to 310 Hours.
All With JavaHMO.
All with TiVoWebPlus/Telnet/FTP/MRV/BackDoors Enabled and Encryption Disabled..

A life? What's that? I have this TiVo, see ... and its all-consuming and all-powerful. And all I can do is stare at the glorious results of its workings.
-- ashutoshsm
crow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-01-2004, 01:23 PM   #9 (Print)
cojonesdetoro

I tried the PC route a few times and it's a big PIA. I am a PC guy and love to tinker but, for me, the Tivo is an appliance the whole family uses. I need something that does not crash often and is a polished user-friendly solution. (the term 'wife friendly' or 'girlfriend friendly' gets used a lot in this regard).

The PC solution is good for a college kid or bachelor(ette) but if you want to get to the point where it does everything the Tivo does... you'll have a long way to go.

OTOH, the PC solutions are getting better all the time. I have read that beyondTV is pretty good but it's Windoze-based ('nuff said).

I gave up on the PC method because Tivo (or replay) just works. no blue screens, no crashes, no quirky interfaces, no driver incompatibilities, no jumpy video, no missed recordings (for the most part). It's also a lot quieter than almost any PC you can buy at a reasonable price. I still keep a multimedia PC with wirleless KBD/Mouse around but's powered off most of the time. I only use it occasionally to watch picture slide shows, play MP3, audio broadcasts, browse the net and record stuff to my Tivo.
cojonesdetoro is offline Report Bad Post Report Post