Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2005, 07:28 PM   #1 (Print)
nlc315

YAC Help...wow am I stupid!

I connect to the internet via a cable modem/router combination. I recently changed my computer setup and decided to put a phone on my desk. I found YAC online and I tried to hook up this old modem of mine. I had tons of problems with this modem and I finally got tired of it and got a new modem that works!...but YAC doesn't work. I've got everything connected correctly, but do you have to connect to the internet via a phone modem for YAC to work or will the modem act like a caller ID box and send the information to the computer? If so, is there a way to make it work with a cable modem?
nlc315 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #2 (Print)
kramerboy
Jelly Man

YAC makes your PC's modem work like a caller ID box. You plug a phone line into the modem. When you receive an incoming call, it will display the CID info on your PC. It can also send the CID infomation to any other PC's or TiVo's set up on your home network if you set it up to do so.

I'm not sure what you mean by "make it work with a cable modem."
kramerboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #3 (Print)
nlc315

Finally!!!!

I finally figured it all out. I wasn't sure if you had to be using the dial-up modem to be connected to the internet to make YAC work. Thanks for the help...you're right, you don't, it just acts like a Caller ID box. I'm using a Dynex mx-300 USB 56K modem I got from BB. After some searching, I found out that most current modems are Caller ID compatable, but it's very common for their drivers to be written retardedly. If anyone's having trouble, "tapiex period c o m", has a very helpful page I found on how to test your modem for caller ID. If it is compatible, the "talkingcallerid period c o m" link in the YAC readme is a very helpful site to learn how to make your modem driver less retarded. It really takes some reading and playing with, but if I can do it, anyone can with a lil work. It's really worked out awesome, and it works great, even with my Tivo!!! If you're going to get a modem, I'd go with USRobotics, because I copied their THEIR driver's "CID" string and made a few slight modifications to make it all work.

P.S. Sorry about the weird web addresses...I can't paste hyperlinks until I've made 5 posts, and I'm a new member.
nlc315 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post