July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2005, 02:36 AM   #1 (Print)
wendiness1
TCFs Newest American

SOAK: Restoring 3.5 floppy discs

I have some old 3.5 floppies that contain info I'd like to save. Now that my antique laptop has died, I no longer can access any of them. What's a poor girl to do?

wendiness1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 02:45 AM   #2 (Print)
niea_7
No longer Avatarless

Send a message via AIM to niea_7 Send a message via MSN to niea_7
If you can't access them because your new laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, well, then you'll need to get a floppy drive. You can buy a USB floppy drive that will work with your new laptop. Once you get the data off of them, I suggest you burn a CD of the data for safe keeping and easier access in the future. And if I remember correctly, your new laptop not only burns CDs, but DVDs too. For day-to-day use, you should probably put the data on a USB flash drive. (something you'd need to buy if you don't already have one). If you have access to another PC with a floppy drive (work, friend, etc) then you can access the floppies there and put it on your USB drive and take it home to your laptop.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:53 AM   #3 (Print)
bobotech
I'm Registered User

Send a message via AIM to bobotech
BTW I would definatly save the data on the floppies to a more permement media of some sort. Floppies are notorously unreliable and can fail at any time. They might work today but tomorrow, they might not work.

I know niea already said that but I just wanted to emphasize the point of backing up the data while its still readable espcially if its important.

I like the idea of a flash usb drive myself.

"Bacon makes *everything* better." Cheesesteak

Philips PTV300
Philips PTV200
bobotech is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:04 AM   #4 (Print)
wendiness1
TCFs Newest American

Quote:
Originally Posted by niea_7
If you can't access them because your new laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, well, then you'll need to get a floppy drive. You can buy a USB floppy drive that will work with your new laptop. Once you get the data off of them, I suggest you burn a CD of the data for safe keeping and easier access in the future. And if I remember correctly, your new laptop not only burns CDs, but DVDs too. For day-to-day use, you should probably put the data on a USB flash drive. (something you'd need to buy if you don't already have one). If you have access to another PC with a floppy drive (work, friend, etc) then you can access the floppies there and put it on your USB drive and take it home to your laptop.

Sorry for the delay in responding - just got back.

So, my new laptop burns DVDs, too? Wow! Yes, I plan to get all the floppy stuff onto CDs. Then I get to toss out all the floppies! Thanks for the info.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 AM   #5 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Send a message via AIM to Inundated
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendiness1
Sorry for the delay in responding - just got back.

So, my new laptop burns DVDs, too? Wow! Yes, I plan to get all the floppy stuff onto CDs. Then I get to toss out all the floppies! Thanks for the info.

I'm pretty sure your new laptop does at very least CD burning. That's pretty standard in all recent model laptops. It may or may not do DVD burning - it may just be read only for DVDs.

But even so, a single CD would fit all of your floppy disks, more than likely...unless you've got over 500 of 'em.
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 01:30 AM   #6 (Print)
niea_7
No longer Avatarless

If you ended up getting the model you wrote about in this thread, then yes, it burns DVDs too:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=277844

If I understood you correctly, you go the laptop listed in your first post, you just got it at Best Buy instead of Circuit City, right?

The line that says "Double layer DVD+/- RW/CD-RW reads and writes DVDs adn CDs" means it can make CDs and DVDs. But as Inundated said, you can fit all your floppies on one CD so there's no reason to make a DVD of them.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:38 AM   #7 (Print)
wendiness1
TCFs Newest American

Quote:
If you ended up getting the model you wrote about in this thread, then yes, it burns DVDs too:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=277844

If I understood you correctly, you go the laptop listed in your first post, you just got it at Best Buy instead of Circuit City, right?

The line that says "Double layer DVD+/- RW/CD-RW reads and writes DVDs adn CDs" means it can make CDs and DVDs. But as Inundated said, you can fit all your floppies on one CD so there's no reason to make a DVD of them.

Yep. That's the one I got. I'm actually looking foward to making a mission out of getting rid of all those floppies and getting it all on CDs. Wendy joins the 21st century!

Old 12-30-2005, 01:42 AM   #8 (Print)
niea_7
No longer Avatarless

You'll like CDs much better, I promise! Your biggest hurdle I think, is getting a floppy drive to read your disks. Once you do that, making the CD is pretty easy. But if you have trouble, we are here

Old 12-30-2005, 03:54 PM   #9 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Send a message via AIM to Inundated
Quote:
Yep. That's the one I got. I'm actually looking foward to making a mission out of getting rid of all those floppies and getting it all on CDs. Wendy joins the 21st century!

Woo hoo! How many floppies do you HAVE, anyway? Unless I missed a giant box of 'em in your closet somewhere, you can probably fit all of them on a single CD. I'd also recommend making multiple copies of that CD just in case. CDs are cheap as heck, and you can't BUY less than a pack 10 of 'em usually.

Quote:
You'll like CDs much better, I promise! Your biggest hurdle I think, is getting a floppy drive to read your disks. Once you do that, making the CD is pretty easy. But if you have trouble, we are here

USB floppy drives are pretty ubitquous, no? I think even Best Buy and Circuit City have at least one model of them...
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 08:04 PM   #10 (Print)
wendiness1
TCFs Newest American

Hooray! I just discovered that my PC has a floppy drive! Didn't even know! It's kinda like putting on an old jacket and finding money in the pocket.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:42 PM   #11 (Print)
bobotech
I'm Registered User

Send a message via AIM to bobotech
Quote:
Hooray! I just discovered that my PC has a floppy drive! Didn't even know! It's kinda like putting on an old jacket and finding money in the pocket.

Please please copy the data to the hard drive and burn it to something else and banish those floppys to the bin forever!

Floppies are evil!

"Bacon makes *everything* better." Cheesesteak

Philips PTV300
Philips PTV200
bobotech is offline Report Bad Post Report Post