Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-08-2003, 12:40 AM   #1 (Print)
boxer31

Question Caller ID on HDVR2

Can i use elseed on a hdvr2? I have read where the filesystem cannot be changed using tivo version 3.1. I have read thru many threads w/o success. I need help. Can anyone provide an exact how to for version 3.1.
boxer31 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-23-2004, 11:00 PM   #2 (Print)
formulaben
Formula Tivo Racing

Anyone?

Old 08-17-2004, 04:00 PM   #3 (Print)
jad568

I have the same unit and wish to use caller ID. Did you ever get the info on how to do it?

Thanks,

-John
jad568 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-17-2004, 06:17 PM   #4 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Fofer
For starters, it goes without saying that if you intend to do this with your TiVo, you will need to modify your TiVo to allow you to install homebrew programs on it.

Now, from what I understand, the built-in modem in an HDVR2 doesn't support the caller ID commands (as the modem in Series 1 machines did.) So a standalone program such as "elseed" wouldn't work.

That said, there are some other applications that run on your PC, and "broadcast" the Caller ID information to other "listener" devices. The TiVo can be configured to "listen" for this information.

YAC is one such program:http://sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/
NCID is another: http://ncid.sourceforge.net/
elseed can also be used as a YAC server: http://www.bah.org/~greg/tivo/

However, the mechanism by which text is displayed onscreen (OSD) is different in the Series 2 hardware. So a lot of the old homebrew apps that worked great on the Series 1 platform don't work on the Series 2 platform! Now, there is some work in this department on the "other" forum, where they are more permissive about TiVo hacking discussion. (Not that adding Caller ID to your TiVo is illegal in any way, or even frowned upon by admins or members of this forum ... it's just a relatively new hacking exercise and not as actively pursued here.) Do a Google search for "series2 OSD" for more information on that front.

That said, if all of this sounds too confusing, and you're looking for a "quick fix" right now, you may wish to just get a standalone device that overlays caller ID info on your TV. I did a quick Google search for just that, and came up with these:

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Ph...ories/Item/CTV/
http://www.smarthome.com/5151.html
http://www.globalassistive.com/tvid.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shoptro...setcaldisu.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shoptro...meplcadica.html

Last edited by Fofer : 08-17-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-18-2004, 08:19 AM   #5 (Print)
topvik2

I found this product very good and you don't have to worry about running it through all the different vidio feeds.
http://www.ahernstore.com/brightider.html

Philips 212 112 hours
HDVR2
Sony KDP57WS550
Gateway AR230 DVD-RW
topvik2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-18-2004, 11:11 AM   #6 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

cool device, topvik! Looks like a nice 'n easy way to accomplish the same thing (especially since, believe it or not, my TV is often off.) The description states that it doesn't support call waiting caller ID though, which is a little bummer. But then again I don't believe the TiVo hacks did either. But I'll definitely be checking this out. If it supported two lines I'd purchase one in a minute!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:27 PM   #7 (Print)
borghe

I don't know about the HDVR2, but if it is the same modem as in the HR10-250, then I can most definitely say elseed works with it without a problem. Just start up elseed without any init string and it works fine.. assuming the HDVR2 has the same modem as the HD Tivo...
borghe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-30-2004, 01:56 PM   #8 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally posted by borghe
I don't know about the HDVR2, but if it is the same modem as in the HR10-250, then I can most definitely say elseed works with it without a problem. Just start up elseed without any init string and it works fine.. assuming the HDVR2 has the same modem as the HD Tivo...

What about the OSD (On screen display) libraries... I was under the impression these were incompatible with the newer units. Did you have to update yours, or is this all incorporated into a newer version of elseed?
Old 08-30-2004, 02:49 PM   #9 (Print)
borghe

umm.. I downloaded an elseed package from the other forum and threw the files into /var/hack/elseed.. yes there were separate osdwriter executables and lib.so's in there..
borghe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-02-2004, 05:27 PM   #10 (Print)
jlc

The NCID Caller ID package now runs on a TiVo Series 2. It uses the new libosd library, so the display works on both a Series1 and a Series2. See http://ncid.sourceforge.net for more information and the current packages available. You can put the server and client on one TiVo, and separate clients on other TiVo's, computers and LCD displays. You could then have Caller ID displayed almost everywhere, even on your cell phone.
jlc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-02-2004, 06:43 PM   #11 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

I've been using the YAC compiled for Series 2 with the newer OSD executables... it's been great having my PC pick up the Caller ID and then broadcast it to all the computers (Macs included) on my network, and it even sends an SMS to my cell phone...

I'll have to try out the newer NCID for TiVo now that it's Series 2 compatible and see if it works better. Thanks for the heads up, jlc!
Old 10-02-2004, 09:37 PM   #12 (Print)
lgkahn

I've been using newtext2osd with elseed from the other forum on all my dsr 704s it works great with tivoweb plus to view my caller id on screen and also view the call log over the web. shows callerid name and number
lgkahn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-02-2004, 11:16 PM   #13 (Print)
jlc

YAK and elseed are good Caller ID programs, NCID is another. Each one has different design objectives in mind. Elseed was designed to run on one computer and is not network based. YAK is designed to run over a network, but the server connects to each listener each time a call is received. NCID is designed so the clients connect to the server at startup and stay connected. The server only needs to send to clients connected to it.

If you are happy with your Caller ID program great, if you think you might need a feature, look at each one to determine which might be best for you. If you want to try Caller ID for the first time, look at each and try one or all three. I do not know if elseed or YAK is currently under development, but NCID is, however, elseed and YAK were first to run on a Series2.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:04 AM   #14 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Can a YAC server send alerts to NCID clients? (ie: is this some sort of standard protocol?)

Or if I switch from YAC to NCID for my TiVo, will I have to change all my computers to be NCID as well?
Old 10-03-2004, 08:29 AM   #15 (Print)
jlc

Quote:
Can a YAC server send alerts to NCID clients? (ie: is this some sort of standard protocol?)

No, but the feature could be added. Both YAC and NCID publish their protocols, so third party clients could be added. Currently, NCID does support alert messages, but not user defined ones. I expect you could use YAK for alerts only, if that is what you wanted.

Quote:
Or if I switch from YAC to NCID for my TiVo, will I have to change all my computers to be NCID as well?

You would need to add the NCID clients, but you would not need to remove the YAK listeners. Assuming NCID and YAK servers running on different systems, you could run both at the same time and select which computers or TiVo you want each to handle. They will not interfere with one another running over your network. This will allow you to try NCID without converting everything over to it.