July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2005, 06:44 PM   #1 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

6.2; The switch has been flipped...

As noted in May 16th- 6.2 Upgrade Will Start thread...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=239740

By TivoAholic (appropriate user tag)...

The upgrades... have begun...

Cross your fingers... My two DSR704s have recieved the pending restart, I have only restarted one of them at this point...

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 06:49 PM   #2 (Print)
bbristow
Member Since 2003

Just as I suspected: the 16th rolled along, but 6.2 didn't! I knew it wouldn't happen. I fully expect it to take well into July for it to get to my Hughes DVR-80. I really don't see WHY they have to "roll" it out slowly. Just send the phone message to restart the machine with new software supposedly already on the drive and it's done. Why take MONTHS to get around the country when everyone could get it the same day?
bbristow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #3 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbristow
Just as I suspected: the 16th rolled along, but 6.2 didn't! I knew it wouldn't happen. I fully expect it to take well into July for it to get to my Hughes DVR-80. I really don't see WHY they have to "roll" it out slowly. Just send the phone message to restart the machine with new software supposedly already on the drive and it's done. Why take MONTHS to get around the country when everyone could get it the same day?

Ummm... I am confused... Today is the 16th, at least according to the calandar on the bottom right part of my screen...

And the upgrade is installing right now, as I type?

They roll it out slowly to make sure it is going to work, in well over 200,000 different setups/units... No matter how good their beta testing is, there can still be major issues that they never thought off.

The SAT installation is SOOOOO much nicer then before, when your phone line would be tied up for more then a hour... For those that have "connectivity issues", this is a significantly better way to update then it was before.
Why use a 9600baud connection, when you can send it via SAT?

DBSTalk
Old 05-16-2005, 06:56 PM   #4 (Print)
peterl1365

Quote:

No flame intended, but patience is a virtue. Why not give it at least a day or two before bashing D*? Would you rather they sent you buggy software?

BTW, dumb question, but did you force a daily call yet? I presume you have, but just in case...
peterl1365 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 07:03 PM   #5 (Print)
deepthinker

Hey E!

What version number is it showing on the one you've restarted? I'm curious if the version is any different than what I have from doing the slice upgrade a few weeks ago.

1 SD Philips DSR704 w/120GB
65" Toshiba 65HC85 Custom Series RPTV HDTV
deepthinker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 07:08 PM   #6 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

DSR704 unit:
Software Version: 6.2-01-2-301

The 301 matches my Service ID first three

DBSTalk
Old 05-16-2005, 07:10 PM   #7 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

I realise that the software comes over the sat and is activated py the phone, but does D* send everyone the software at the same time and just activate by phone in some areas at a time or do they send the software and activate it at the same time. I am trying to understand how it works so I do not waste my time making futile daily calls. When I see pending restart I know I am about to get the upgrade but how did I get It? Over the sat and phone? Or just the phone?

Old 05-16-2005, 07:13 PM   #8 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Both...

The software upgrade is pushed down via SAT... and sits in a special partition on the hard drive.

The phone call, checks with the TiVo server, if your unit is allowed to go ahead to install it.

So yes... D* Sends everyont the software at the same time, and they activate in some areas. But today is the day it is supposed to be "general" release, and so far it is appearing that way.

Don't waste your time making daily calls. If you don't get on the first shot.

Try again in an hour or so... If not, then wait for your normal call to take place over night...

The upgrade is nice, but it nothing to take the day off of work for.

DBSTalk
Old 05-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #9 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
Both...

The software upgrade is pushed down via SAT... and sits in a special partition on the hard drive.

The phone call, checks with the TiVo server, if your unit is allowed to go ahead to install it.

So yes... D* Sends everyont the software at the same time, and they activate in some areas. But today is the day it is supposed to be "general" release, and so far it is appearing that way.

Don't waste your time making daily calls. If you don't get on the first shot.

Try again in an hour or so... If not, then wait for your normal call to take place over night...

The upgrade is nice, but it nothing to take the day off of work for.
Im not holding my breath. Usually I have been reading about all the problems other are having with new software for days before Fla gets it. No biggie. With my 5 tivos I barely have enough time to watch they are recording so much!! I was curious if i should waste my time. I guess I should start a S FLA 6.2 watch thread. But I think we have enough threads about 6.2! Thanx fer the info Earl.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #10 (Print)
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

Did you receive an mail message today about the upgrade? Or just force a call and it finished with "pending restart"
Human123 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 07:42 PM   #11 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Just a forced called when I got home from work, to check.

I did get the flyer in the mail this past weekend though.

DBSTalk
Old 05-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #12 (Print)
Mr. Furious

I forced a call at 6:40 this morning, with no "pending restart." I tried again at 8:00PM, and boom, there it was! I forced a restart on my SIR-S4120R and the update is loading now.

I wish I would've known it would take so long to load - thank God I was able to talk my wife into recording 24 on her DVR80.

Never did get a card or flyer, though.
Mr. Furious is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 07:46 PM   #13 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

It's sitting in the standby partition on my unit waiting to install.
I already have it though
/hugs his hacked HDVR2.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 07:52 PM   #14 (Print)
Lenco

Send a message via AIM to Lenco Send a message via Yahoo to Lenco
Hey Ebonovic,

Is what I am reading here in this thread true about the phone call using Vonage?

The issue is that all three of my units use an external modem to make the call. Will this put me at a disadvantage in getting this update?

Old 05-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #15 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob Boy
I realise that the software comes over the sat and is activated py the phone, but does D* send everyone the software at the same time and just activate by phone in some areas at a time or do they send the software and activate it at the same time. I am trying to understand how it works so I do not waste my time making futile daily calls. When I see pending restart I know I am about to get the upgrade but how did I get It? Over the sat and phone? Or just the phone?
The software rollout process works as follows. DirecTV/TiVo have a database of what version of the software is suppose to be installed on each machine by receiver ID (RID). When your machine dials in your machine checks what version it is suppose to be running in the database. If your machine is running a different version than what is in the database it will look at the slices downloaded from the satellites and if it finds a match it will install it. If it can not find a slice on the disk it will download it over the phone and install it. Each night DirecTV/TiVo randomly choose, by RID, so many machines in the database and change their software version (in this case 6.2). If your machine has been updated in the database on the next call in it will upgrade. Machines are only randomly added once a night.

Typically at first DirecTV/TiVo will only upgrade the database for a small number of machines each night. As they gain confidence in the release they will add a greater number of machines each night. After a while (a month or two) they will have the software in general release and all the machines in the database will be updated and the default version in the database will be the new release.

Since they did have a test period in Los Angeles they may have a faster roll out this time around.

Last edited by rminsk : 05-16-2005 at 08:02 PM.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #16 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

If you can connect to the Service via Vonage... then you can go ahead and make the call.

TiVo/DirecTV have no way of knowing that you are using Vonage or not... So you should not be at a disadvantage.

So if your external modem, can connect to the TiVo service call... You are all set.. Go ahead, and force a call.

DBSTalk
Old 05-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #17 (Print)
FireMen2003

I had a daily call at 5:30. It didn't call out. I forced 2 calls and still no upgrade. Next daily call is on Wednesday.
FireMen2003 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 08:01 PM   #18 (Print)
deepthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
DSR704 unit:
Software Version: 6.2-01-2-301

The 301 matches my Service ID first three

Okay, so this is the same exact version as the slices released back in February that I used to upgrade a few weeks ago. I wonder what the huge delay was in rolling it out to everyone, since it has been unchanged since Feb. Seems kind of ridiculous to me. Oh well, at least I've been enoying for a few weeks already.

1 SD Philips DSR704 w/120GB
65" Toshiba 65HC85 Custom Series RPTV HDTV
deepthinker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #19 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthinker
Okay, so this is the same exact version as the slices released back in February that I used to upgrade a few weeks ago. I wonder what the huge delay was in rolling it out to everyone, since it has been unchanged since Feb. Seems kind of ridiculous to me. Oh well, at least I've been enoying for a few weeks already.
3.1.1d was a huge problem for DirecTV. It had problems "overdriving" certain multiswitch setups and many people had problems. DirecTV solution at the time was to replace the box which is very expensive for them. Replacing the box did not solve the problem. 3.1.1e was quickly rolled out to address the problems with 3.1.1d. I am glad they waited this time and did proper testing.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:12 PM   #20 (Print)
TyroneShoes
HD evangelist

I learned from being a long-time DISH sub to cross my fingers and pray that I would NOT get the up revs until they had been distributed to others for a couple of weeks. Of course I can't remember a Tivo up rev that ever wiped people's hard drives, either, so maybe that's just residual paranoia.
TyroneShoes is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #21 (Print)
Mark W

Pending restart of both of my HDVR2's here in Connecticut after forced calls earlier tonight.
Mark W is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 08:52 PM   #22 (Print)
Klaitu

I'm hoping that my 6.2 upgrade will come soon as well. It hasn't come today, of course, and I fully expect it to arrive sometime in August. If it gets here before August, I will be in the wildest state of shock, as the update was originally supposed to come out in January.

As for this testing business, that's just garbage. It's not like we're talking actual computer software here. There are millions of different kinds of computers, but there are only like 7 different kinds of DTV Tivos.

I like DTV, and I'll continue with their service, but their handling of this whole thing is just atrocious.

Has anyone out there had a Hughes model upgraded?
Klaitu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #23 (Print)
ret2961

Yup. Forced a call in Sac, CA and it is loading up now...
ret2961 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #24 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaitu

As for this testing business, that's just garbage. It's not like we're talking actual computer software here. There are millions of different kinds of computers, but there are only like 7 different kinds of DTV Tivos.

I like DTV, and I'll continue with their service, but their handling of this whole thing is just atrocious.

Sure there are just "7" DTivos... but there are different brands of Multiswitches. Different Brands of Dishes... Different "lengths" of cable between unit and dish, ect..

Different Audio Recievers, Different TV's, Different universal remotes, ect.... There are a LOT of combinations... Sure nothing on the magnitude of computers combination, but it is more then just "7"....

And it's not like there is a "rollback" feature, if you install a bad software package.
And the OS is scale down so much, that it freaks out when it gets a bad piece of data, unlike a PC that is design to deal with errors.

And also people are "used" to their PC crashing every once and a while.
Crash your "TV" or lose your recordings... Head's will role in some households..

DBSTalk
Old 05-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #25 (Print)
kmb

From a long time lurker...here in Milwaukee, WI.

I just forced a daily call on both of my HDVR2 units. One of them is installing the update as I type this. The other doesn't seem to have been authorized to update just yet...
kmb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 09:26 PM   #26 (Print)
Ryder X

San Jose, Just starting getting 6.2

5 minute till loading is done.
Ryder X is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 09:53 PM   #27 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaitu
What is atrocious? That they are starting to send out the software on the date they said they would? That they tested the software first this time? Please tell me what they mis handled.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:27 PM   #28 (Print)
rpdre1

My main tivo (Samsung SIR-S4080R; avg plugged in once every 2 months) got the greenlight for 6.2 after i forced a call at 6:30 pm. After the call, in the status line it said Loading Data, #%, and # mins left. That took less than 5 mins. Then I got the Pending Restart. It took about 20 mins from the first restart to until it was done. I didn't have much on it; I had like 2 hrs of shows, 3 season passes, and no wishlists.

Before I forced the call at 6:30, that tivo was scheduled for Friday, May 20th. I had been forcing a call a few times this weekend and even this morning at 7 am.

My bedroom tivo (Phillips DSR704; which is unplugged also) had been scheduled for today so I forced a call a half-hour before its time and it got nothing. It's next scheduled call is for Tuesday, May 24th. Maybe a call on Friday will give me a Pending Restart.
rpdre1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 11:35 PM   #29 (Print)
CrazyFred

Quote:

Perhaps because if they turned everyone on in the country at the same time and there was a problem, they would have millions of customers SOL. Just a thought.

Patience is a virtue.
CrazyFred is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 11:37 PM   #30 (Print)
fides7

just got update in San Antonio on Philips 7000
fides7 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post