Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2005, 11:06 PM   #1 (Print)
pldoolittle

Keep until space needed updates

How about a special "keep until space needed" that will not record OVER and OVER during a show marathon. It could be as simple as extending "suggestions" functionality to a special list of scheduled recordings.

For example: My bottom 5 seasons passes are just filler material. If I put them in as "keep until I delete" then high priority programs may not get recorded. If I put them on "keep until space needed" then they will record 10 times a day as they are typically widely syndicated.

I just want to get several episodes of these passes and stop. If "real" recordings need space, delete them first.

Remove Pet Urine Odor permanently.
http://www.OdorDestroyer.com
pldoolittle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-16-2005, 02:59 PM   #2 (Print)
timckelley
Longhorn Alumni

One thing you can do is use the "Keep at most" setting to only record 5 eps.

Also, if you want these to always delete before other shows, I suppose you could put keep until dates on all SPs except the bottom 5. But one thing I don't remember is: can an SP by default say keep until x days? Or do you have to set that ep by ep?

You, sir, are brilliant. - pianoman
reaffirmed by brenrher - brenrher
You sir are a genius! - slydog75

Last edited by timckelley : 10-17-2005 at 09:59 AM.
timckelley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-17-2005, 03:52 AM   #3 (Print)
NoCleverUsername

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
But one thing I don't remember is: can an SP by default say keep until x days? Or do you have to set that ep by ep?
The only two choices on an SP are "Space needed" or "Until I delete" There's no option for number of days.
NoCleverUsername is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #4 (Print)
timckelley
Longhorn Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCleverUsername
The only two choices on an SP are "Space needed" or "Until I delete" There's no option for number of days.

Oh, in that case, this is a good suggestion made by the OP. If there are 5 SPs that he wants lower priority than the others so that when space is needed, it should always delete from those SPs first, I don't see a way to do that unless you go ep by ep and set keep until dates on all SPs but the bottom 5.

Meanwhile, setting KAM may give him some partial relief.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #5 (Print)
Jonathan_S

But even if the original poster sets KAM = 5 it won't stop the TiVo from recording those frequently repeated programs. It will just keep them from taking over the Now Playing list.

But if 48 episodes were on in a day the TiVo would record all 48, but only keep the last 5. Kind of silly.

Of course, you can stop that by combining KUID with KAM = 5, but then each season pass permanently removes 2.5 or 5 hours (30 min or 60 min show * 5 shows) from the TiVo's available recording space.

The ability to tell the TiVo:
1) Keep only 5 episodes
2) When it hits 5 episodes stop recording
3) but still delete old episodes as necessary for other recordings
is something that could be very useful, but doesn't currently exist.

KAM = 5 & KUSN accomplishes (1 & 3). KAM = 5 & KUID accomplishes (1 & 2), but KUID prevents (3).

KAM: Keep at Most.
KUID: Keep Until I Delete
KUSN: Keep Until Space Needed

Old 10-19-2005, 01:10 PM   #6 (Print)
pldoolittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S
But if 48 episodes were on in a day the TiVo would record all 48, but only keep the last 5. Kind of silly.

VERY SILLY. This is perhaps the biggest Whoops I have found in tivo logic. Just record 5 and STOP.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #7 (Print)
timckelley
Longhorn Alumni

In the case of 48 eps in a day, why is keeping the 1st 5 and dumping the last 43 preferable to keeping the last 5 and dumping the first 43? Because if there's no preference, do KAM=5 with KUSN.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:31 AM   #8 (Print)
pldoolittle

Quote:
In the case of 48 eps in a day, why is keeping the 1st 5 and dumping the last 43 preferable to keeping the last 5 and dumping the first 43? Because if there's no preference, do KAM=5 with KUSN.

It's not preferable as far as the final content remaining. It just seems quite silly to record 48 eps of which you will only keep 5. And also assuming that you wish to watch another show during this recording interval, download via HMO, or anything else, it seems like a lot of wear on the drive to thrash the head back and forth needlessly for 48 eps worth of time.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:57 AM   #9 (Print)
timckelley
Longhorn Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle
It's not preferable as far as the final content remaining. It just seems quite silly to record 48 eps of which you will only keep 5. And also assuming that you wish to watch another show during this recording interval, download via HMO, or anything else, it seems like a lot of wear on the drive to thrash the head back and forth needlessly for 48 eps worth of time.

I don't think it's any extra work on the TiVO nor any extra wear on the drive to record all 48 and continually dump old recordings, because of the buffer. The TiVo already records 24 x 7 because of the live buffer, so it's just a matter of: should it dump the buffer or move it to Now Playing.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:26 PM   #10 (Print)
petew

I'd vote for being able to create SP's and Auto Record Wish lists that behave like suggestions. They'd also be permanently achored at the lowest priority so any new SP's always get inserted above them. My wife has various wish lists based on actor's names. Normally not a problem but occasionally said actor will guest star in a show we don't watch or a movie will air on Encore and it's too easy to lose an episode of a show that inadvertantly got placed lower down in the priority list, with 3 Tivo's we manually resolve conflicts so don't often pay too much attentions to the SP priorities.

Home Media Option: $0
No conflicts and no arguments: Priceless
petew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 06:31 PM   #11 (Print)
pldoolittle

Quote:
I don't think it's any extra work on the TiVO nor any extra wear on the drive to record all 48 and continually dump old recordings, because of the buffer. The TiVo already records 24 x 7 because of the live buffer, so it's just a matter of: should it dump the buffer or move it to Now Playing.

You are correct. Didn't think about that. It still seems like a silly response to KAM. I mean, do you go to the grocery store for 5 oranges and pickup 5, put one back, pick up one more, put one back, (repeat ad-nauseum), until you have the last 5 oranges in the row? Of course not. You start with 0, and select until you have 5. Then you stop.

Another side effect of this functionality is that if there are any lower priority seasons passes that have episodes occurring during the marathon, they will be prevented from recording. So if your #1 priority SP is x-files and they decide to run a 48 hours x-files marathon during sweeps week, you will miss ALOT of good TV unless you manually intervene.

Also, if you have your KAM for a favorite weekly serial set at 5 and 1 must see first run from tonight on hold. Sometime in the middle of the night, they run a 4 hour mini-marathon that you don't see coming. The next morning you wake to 5 episodes of re-runs and no must see episode. Lunacy.

That's not TV my way, that's more like TV the Mickey-soft way.

Last edited by pldoolittle : 12-15-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:53 PM   #12 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone
Keeping the newest epsisodes is often useful. I've used it for news programs. Once they get too old there is little point most of the time. You always have the fresh content.

If you want it to record 5 and stop, use KAM 5 and KUID. It will record 5, can't delete any, so it stops.

megazone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #13 (Print)
pldoolittle

Your solution points out the biggest problem with the all or none priority design. Most seasons passes that are 5+ episodes are fillers (at least for me). Hence, I do not wish to risk any other "real"programs being skipped/deleted by making them KUID. And I really don't care if tivo records 200x, but the fact that it forestalls any other recordings during a marathon. The priority systems works perfectly for me unless a marathon occurs on a filler program. And since fillers are often in syndication, they are also often running midnight marathons...

As has been discussed here many times, there needs to be a type of "personal suggestions" that are recorded as space permits, but never supercede any other non-suggestions material for recording (or early deletion).