Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-23-2005, 07:19 PM   #1 (Print)
MikeEld

R-10 DVR vs. Ultimate TV

Preface @ 7:56pm - Since there has been "viewers" and no "responders"...let me say up front that I am looking to buy a DTV DVR....I am just wanting to clear up some questions and issues beforehand. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving !!

The only experience with DVR that I've had is with my current DVR (Sony SAT-W60, Ultimate TV). The picture and abilities to do whatever you want have been awesome...especially the picture quality. I recently upgraded the HD to 80 hours.

Does the D**TV R-10 that I've seen in stores and on D**TV's website have comparable picture quality to the SAT-W60? Also, does it have the capability to record 2 events at once...and allow you to view an already recorded show at the same time ?

Last but not least, my need to know revolves around some problems I've been having lately. Every so often recently I've seen the picture drop out while the audio is still there. I've seen it look like it has lost sync and a black and white picture just floats around on the screen, then locks back in at some point. I've also seen large pixels appear followed by a breakup of the picture into red, green and sometimes picture is lost entirely for a minute or two, then comes back. By the way, all of these issues have occured in recordings...I seldom get the chance to view live.

Are these symptoms of an LNB problem...or a reciever problem...or has something been happening in the atmosphere that is causing a bad or corrupted signal to hit the dish ?

I'm just looking for answers before I start replacing "stuff" ...Thanks in advance for your reply and possible suggestions.

MikeEld

Last edited by MikeEld : 11-23-2005 at 08:58 PM.
MikeEld is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-25-2005, 04:15 AM   #2 (Print)
NoCleverUsername

Since both the R10 and Ultimate TV are SD receivers that just play back the same signal off the satellite, I would think that they should have the same picture quality, at least in theory. (I've never had Ultimate TV, so I have no hands-on experience with one.)

The R10 does have dual-tuners, so you can record two things at once and also watch something that was already recorded at the same time.

The symptoms you describe sound like maybe the hard drive is failing, something that can happen to any DVR. At least that's what my first guess would have been if you were talking about a DirecTV DVR w/ TiVo, or any TiVo for that matter.
NoCleverUsername is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 PM   #3 (Print)
JRMcBride

Ultimate TV Distortion

I, too, live in the DFW area and have considerable distortion with almost every show I now record. I've been back searcing the net for information aobut the possible probelm. I searched about two months ago and found that Ultimate TV is aware of the situation and is working on a solution with a software upgrade. Since I haven't seen anything since, I'm back searching today and saw your post. maybe it is a failing hard drive, but I think you said you had replaced yours. I like the Ultimate TV ability to jump 30 seconds at a time through commercials while TiVo has no simple process other than to fast forward and hope to catch it perfectly when the commercials are over.

So, I'm sticking with Ultimate TV, even at $9.95 per month through DirecTV. But, I'm not going to put up with this image breakup much longer. Microsoft, aka Ultimate TV, isn't doing enough quickly to fix the problem. It's not a product they sell any more and they do have a history of failing to support products you buy from them when they don't see any more bucks for them.
JRMcBride is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 01:10 PM   #4 (Print)
rlj5242

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMcBride
I like the Ultimate TV ability to jump 30 seconds at a time through commercials while TiVo has no simple process other than to fast forward and hope to catch it perfectly when the commercials are over.
Or you can turn on the 30 second skip functionality by pressing Select - Play - Select - 3 - 0 - Select on your remote control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMcBride
Microsoft, aka Ultimate TV, isn't doing enough quickly to fix the problem.
I didn't know there was any support at all for UTV.

-Robert
rlj5242 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 02:20 PM   #5 (Print)
Mori
TIVO Lover

Quote:
Or you can turn on the 30 second skip functionality by pressing Select - Play - Select - 3 - 0 - Select on your remote control.

I had never heard of this feature before and honestly tried it. I couldn't get it to work so I am assuming that you are just pulling our legs.
Mori is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #6 (Print)
Guindalf
Master Of My Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori
I had never heard of this feature before and honestly tried it. I couldn't get it to work so I am assuming that you are just pulling our legs.

No, he's not. But he forgot to mention an important step. Start a recording first! This will not work while entering while watching live TV. Go to the list and start something you've got recorded. It doesn't matter what it is - I think even a suggestion. THEN hit Sel-Play-Sel-3-0-Sel. You should hear three beeps when it's accepted and it will reset and have to be repeated whaenever the box reboots or loses power.

It's PERFECT for watching the NFL and getting straight to the next play!

NE Georgia Motorcycling? Visit foothillsmc.com
Guindalf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #7 (Print)
rlj5242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guindalf
It's PERFECT for watching the NFL and getting straight to the next play!
It's like watching a coach's film in the locker room. Nothing but action. I can watch an NFL game in about an hour.

-Robert
rlj5242 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post