THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2005, 10:29 PM   #1 (Print)
orkboo

Arrow TIVO 540080 RID chip 2.5 agonies

Greetings everyone,

Sorry for the lengthiness, but here it goes :

I have a Coolsat 4000 Pro FTA Satellite Receiver and a TIVO 540080 RID chip 2.5 with lifetime support that I bought for my wife in August for her birthday so that she could watch the select few shows she likes at her convenience. She works full time in a fairly thankless advertising position (viscous hours) while carrying our first child, so the least I can do as a husband who is paid not much more than her in my pathetic little tech company that I started with my business partner is mod her TIVO so it works with the Satellite receiver. By the way, in our very small Illinois town we have 2 network stations that we receive via antenna and the FTA is used to receive the free-to-the-public 30+ semi-local Chicago, Rockford and Milwaukee broadcast and independent stations only. We do not use the Coolsat unit for piracy of any kind. I get Netflix and my wife wants Oprah and Nova and we are happy. Don’t want to pay for basic satellite for the broadcast stations we are denied because of where we chose to live – and FTA used right is perfectly legal. Just wanted to make this clear because I’ve seen a couple of posts were people have gotten really upset about anyone insinuating piracy with FTA (Free-to-Air) Satellite receivers and I don’t blame them. Anyway… None of the TIVO’s native IR signals work with Coolsat 4000 Pro. Big problem. So, the RID chip model was obviously a mistake – I know that now, but I’m stuck with it because of the pricy lifetime service locked to this model.

I’ve successfully upgraded the unit to about 450hrs with the help of Weaknees’ excellent FreeBSD boot cd which is rather nice, but that is all that is even remotely a practical upgrade on this unit. I am versed with hardware and hefty LAN server and WEB server operations, but I know next to no LINUX and no time to learn considering I work like 12 hour days and both our commutes are excruciating because of how far you have to live to get a decent plot of land nowadays. So this lack of LINUX knowledge is my biggest problem since obviously this tamper-proof model must be hacked just to execute this Coolsat IR Code 4kb script I obtained. I keep reading posts on how this model TIVO needs to have the soldered e-prom removed, flashed and installed in a removable chamber, before any of the bash and ftp hacks are implemented just to get this 4kb script executed on this crummy police-state model. I am also very weary of having anyone physically modify the motherboard – plus we lose our extended warranty that we paid for. As a work around, I’ve obtained killhdinitrd-0[1].9.2 TIVO Kernel Hack which is supposed to allow a TIVO-LINUX guru to modify RID 2.5 models, but I am lost on where to start since my knowledge of LINUX is Neanderthal. In fact I’ve found several soft-tools that would be very useful to this installation… But I’m missing the guy who is confident enough with their TIVO-LINUX know-how to get this darn script in place or outline a detail of how to do this step-by-step procedure so I can do it. I don’t expect this for free by any means – I am very willing to pay for this helpful service. There is simply no way I can do this myself – there is to much LINUX know-how involved, too much at risk and I have no time outside of my family to accomplish this in a reasonable timeframe; especially due to the fact that I really don’t need any other hacked service whatsoever nor will I in the future.

Can I pay for anyone’s time to help us get this IR code script for Coolsat Receivers executed on our TIVO RID 2.5? This is a very serious inquiry.

If I could manage this by Christmas for my wife, I know it would make her very happy.

I know this kind of thing is frowned upon in tech communities, but I’m an honest guy and would love to get this TIVO going for my wife again, and I'm running out of options. She doesn’t ask for much and when the TIVO wouldn’t cooperate with the new Coolsat… she’s been kinda glum ever since we moved out in the boonies partly because of this and partly because of missing her friends and family.
orkboo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 01:09 PM   #2 (Print)
orkboo

Wink Hummm, no replies yet…

Hummm, no replies yet… what can I offer to entice a nibble… I KNOW!!! Okay, if a service commission is not of the interest of those able to RID me of this IR problem via hack-walk-through, then perhaps I can offer a trade. This may be very enticing to those out there unaware of FTA dish systems and what they can offer (and I mean the legal setup mind you). Just like TIVO hacking, FTA is a fairly tight knit community due to the rigorous guesswork involved in the whole setup, which receiver is best, which dish is best, which satellites to latch to and where they are located in the sky, and not to mention the “how-to’s” on the whole receiver setup. FTA when setup correctly (Free-to-air”) gets you hundreds of network, independent, and High-Res Network “air-wave” stations crystal clear from through out the nation and Canada – all are unencrypted and all are free to receive if you know how to set everything up and trust me there are optimal methods on setup so that your signal strength is at about 97-98% on all stations. There are is a handy channel editor to hand pick and swap around stations of your choice to different channel number locations to match your TIVO or any DVR’s channel list. This is the field I am versed in, not TIVO hacking unfortunately. I will trade anyone a personal over the phone detailed walk-through of this entire FTA setup from what components to buy to every single how to on connecting to the birds and editing channels to work perfectly with your FTA. This entire setup will cost you about $250.00 when I suggest to you what to buy and who to buy from and never a dime more for a service most everyone pays either basic cable for or basic satellite for and it is all legal.

The illegal: I will walk you through everything you need to get the legal, but I will not walk you through the “switch” to decrypting the entire D__h N_____k amongst many other services. It is a five step, five minute process from what I am told once this whole FTA is setup and in place for optimum reception for the legal “FREE” network stations as I have promised I will supply in detail, but if you want to crack into this extra five steps to tap the “illegal” I am not offering that service. I cannot walk you through the illegal stuff nor am I offering it, but I will walk you through all the steps to get the legal “FREE” network reception services in complete detail. Anything beyond the point of receiving the legal is your own deal. What’s sad is that D__h, by law, has next to no legal route to catch and stop those who jack their service because “cable” piracy laws don’t apply – you are not tapping a physical cable that some company owns. Those who jack the service are literally intercepting a signal that is already shooting through all of our homes weather you like it or not. So the whole “piracy” thing on satellite is very gray because no one can own an airwave signal freely bombarding your home. I don’t agree with piracy in any form, but I am also not fond of how satellites are constantly bombarding us with signals that may or may not be hazardous whether we like it or not. No wonder the cancer rate has sky rocketed since the late 20th century. This was all just a side note and I got off track.

I don’t care if you have never handled an Allen wrench before, I will patently walk you through the whole FTA setup from beginning to end, step-by-step, if you can walk me through getting this IR script on my TIVO 2.5. Or like I initially offered, I’ll pay a commission for the service. Whichever you choose. Just thought those who are seriously into their TIVO enough to hack the unit silly, might be interested in a new toy. One that is very worthwhile with no monthly service to pay of any kind. Can’t beat it.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #3 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

you need a new PROM.
Plain and simple.
The EEPROM preventing hacking needs to de desoldered and newly programmed one needs to be socketted in its place.

I'd suggest you NOT touting your "services" here, since they skirt the law.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 01:37 PM   #4 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Get a Pansat 5000 FTA DVR if you want to DVR legal FTA signals.

The real FTA hobbyists aren't so secretive and close knit becasue of the technical knowlege, it is because some of the channels they view aren't directly intended for the general public, if if the knowlege of those channels became widespread, they could disappear; case in point, the Alaska networks.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 02:15 PM   #5 (Print)
bushman4

Listen to Gunny...

That model of TiVo with the included EEPROM software will only run a SIGNED kernel.

The signed kernel contains signatures of most of the other files, and deletes ones that do not match the Sig.

Changing the EEPROM to allow the system to boot with an unsigned kernel is the only way to get the file onto your TiVo and executed.

There are people who will do the EEPROM socketting for you... take a look in the DDB "For Sale" forum...

Bushman
bushman4 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #6 (Print)
orkboo

Smile Thanks Guys!!!

Thanks for the replies Guys. Didn’t mean to come off like touting at all – especially something illegal and that is why I made clear that that is NOT the FTA setup I was offering. Only legal “network station” FTA which is 100% legal. Anything from that point forward going into the “gray areas” is not territory I would act as a guide. The Alaska network… hummm… I actually get that network without decription whatsoever. Perhaps you are pointed at the wrong bird or even more likely your horizontal or vertical is wrong. “Ch_nn_l M_st_r” is a very handy tool for correcting that problem. 99% of the missing channel blubbering I hear is due to lack of knowledge how to pickup the channel wave properly from the correct bird. Anyway, anyway, TIVO, TIVO! Okay, so what about killhdinitrd? Is this not a legitimate work around for the whole e-prom replacement? I’m sure it is not easy, but I was told it works even on the 540xxxx models. By the way, I can dupe that mod model e-prom no sweat (have the e-prom burner and blanks of that model e-prom). So perhaps something else I can offer is some prom duping for backup perposes if anyone is interested in giving me a hand? I work with e-proms as part of my day-to-day, but only have the tooling for removables – no micro-soldering gear. Cr_p, I was hoping to avoid this mainboard-altering measure though due to the warranty. What about this killhdinitrd? Anything on that one? I do have access to the correct removable prom bays at work as well if I have to go this route. There is also another route… I found a third-party IR capture module called IRTrans after some deep searching on Google which interprets IR messaging on the fly and spits it back out in the form that is needed to control any given device – an IR translator if you will. It’s pricey though, ships from Germany and I’m not totally sure if it is exactly what I hope it is and how well it performs. That way I wouldn’t have to mess with any modification though… but I don’t know. A prom mod might be better to get these two pieces of equipment speaking to one another directly – no IR interpretation delays or mis-signals to deal with. Anyone know the best prom mod folks to trust? Throwing my wife’s TIVO into the wind is a bit scary. PM me if you want.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:37 PM   #7 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

a series 2 tivo with your model number needs the eeprom hack. Killhdinitrd won't work.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:48 PM   #8 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

As has already been pointed out, a 540080 can NOT be hacked using killhdinitrd. Killhdinitrd only works for those TiVos that do NOT require a signed kernel. To be successfully hacked in any way, the 540080 requires a DIFFERENT ROM code than is in the box when shipped. NO software only solution exists at this time.

240 GB DSR-708
80 GB DSR-7000 (Slingbox attached)
(All w/MRV)

Administrator - DBSForums.com
Dan Collins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2005, 09:23 PM   #9 (Print)
orkboo

Smile Okay, thanks guys.

Cr_p. Okay, thanks guys. That is what I needed to know. What a hassle for a stup_d remote IR code. Oh well. Any trusted sources for “very” successful prom-mod soldering dudes would be appreciated. PM me if you want on that one. Well… I can dupe the proms anyway if anyone is interested. R_tard_d with most else TIVO comparatively. My hobby expertise are in FTA. Thanks for the advice thus far guys. Any more advice is always welcome.

Dan, interesting… DBS… it seems you would have this issue whipped administrator! What’s the deal? Just kidding. Thanks for the facts – this all makes sense. But that doesn’t make it any less lame. For a st_pid 4kb IR blast script… how annoying is that?

Classicsat, I was told that the Pansat codes on the TIVO do not work at all. Which is odd, but many trusted sources have reported this. Besides, Coolsat has a much larger user-base and therefore more folks to work with on issues. The options are also much more robust in my opinion. Assuming channel memory issues are fixed in the CS 5000, that would even be a better alternative.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #10 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

The Pansat 5000 is a DVR itself, so there is no need for TiVo support.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #11 (Print)
orkboo

Well, that is interesting…..

Well, that is interesting….. but starting over with all new hardware is not at all a practical option considering the preexisting investment I’ve detailed above. I need to work with what I already have.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:53 PM   #12 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

easiest thing for youto do, besides give up, is look for a Tivo on Ebay. Just make sure it's an older Series 2 like a 24xx series from Tivo.
The newer models all require the Prom Mod.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:46 AM   #13 (Print)
orkboo

Google IRTrans Translator.

Google "IRTrans Translator". This is an interesting possible work around.