Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2005, 01:50 PM   #1 (Print)
nobodeuno

6.2 Upgrade (Please Help)

I don't post alot but I do frequently read.

I have 2 DTivo's with all the upgrades (new drives) and 4.0 w/ HMO. These have been running flawlessly for about a year now and I really don't want to do anything to sacrifice stability. However, when I was applying the patches and reading everything in depth the talk of 6.2 was very minimal so I stuck with 4.0. Now I assume that this has been explored quite a bit.

In order to save some time could you guys point me in the direction or answer some questions that you'll probably consider newb like since I haven't kept up with all the happenings on the other forum.

1) Is 6.2 stable enough and has someone found/patched the HMO to have an interface like 4.0.
2) Does it support all the same hacks that 4.0 does?
3) Does it support wireless w/ WEP or better encryption?
4) Are there 802.11G wireless drivers now available for 4.0 or 6.2?
5) Any other risks or things I should know about.
6) Is there a FAQ for upgrading via slice method for to 6.2?

If this isn't appropriate talk for this forum please let me know as I don't wish to do anything unacceptable. Also if there is a link or FAQ that is available which answers all of these qeustions please link it and I will read for myself. its just a major PIA to come back up to speed on all of these things again.

Thanks in advance!
nobodeuno is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 01:51 PM   #2 (Print)
nobodeuno

I just realized there is a underground forum that would probably be a better place for this...maybe a mod will move it for me.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:05 PM   #3 (Print)
nobodeuno

no one at all? At least tell me to STFA or something
Old 12-20-2005, 01:35 PM   #4 (Print)
texster

Since you asked....UTFSB!!! Just kidding . Here's a little info.....

Stability is good w/ 6.2. There was concern by some, including myself, that 6.2 was causing random reboots. There is a thread covering that, but in my case it was just a coincidence of power outages. "Sendkey" functionality is not possible in 6.2 so if that is a dealbreaker, stay where you are. Those who had 4.0 (which I didn't) claim 6.2 is noticeably faster. WEP and Slices for 6.2 are frequently discussed, again I don't I have first hand knowledge, but the search button is your friend. Finally, do a search for the "zipper" in the underground - tons of info there. If you decide to go the zipper route, I think they recommend you allow your 4.0 to update "naturally" to 6.2, then hack.

G Bridge with Alchemy
texster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 04:49 PM   #5 (Print)
nobodeuno

Lol

Thanks for the info...I think right now I'll probably stick with 4.0. The main reason I would upgrade is for 802.11G drivers and since those aren't available I'll probably just go with a bridge/wired combo. Thats really my only real complaint is the MRV transfer speeds.

Thanks again!