Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2005, 01:32 PM   #1 (Print)
Adv1sor

Cable or DirecTV?

When I switched to DirecTV a few years ago I was very very happy.

But now I find that, if I want to play interactive games, (like EverQuest type games), then DirecTV's internet won't work because of the lag, so I have cable for my internet.

Now the cable company's programming has surpassed DirecTV. Cable even has the AnimeNetwork!

Today I found out that, although TivoToGo is available to everyone else, it's not available to DirecTV subscribers.

Looking at the price I believe that I could get both internet and the same movie package I have with DirecTV from my cable company for less than what I am paying DirecTV.

I really don't like my cable company, I love my DirecTVTivo, but I am having a hard time coming up with reasons why.

Any thoughts on why I should stay with DirecTV?
Adv1sor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #2 (Print)
cheer
Some Networking Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv1sor

But now I find that, if I want to play interactive games, (like EverQuest type games), then DirecTV's internet won't work because of the lag, so I have cable for my internet.

Now the cable company's programming has surpassed DirecTV. Cable even has the AnimeNetwork!

Today I found out that, although TivoToGo is available to everyone else, it's not available to DirecTV subscribers.

Looking at the price I believe that I could get both internet and the same movie package I have with DirecTV from my cable company for less than what I am paying DirecTV.

I really don't like my cable company, I love my DirecTVTivo, but I am having a hard time coming up with reasons why.

I go through this thought process all the time. Do keep in mind that if you move to Cable and get a standalone Tivo you'll have to pay the $12.99/mo service fee to Tivo above and beyond whatever cable charges.

With my programming, DirecTV is substantially cheaper so I cannot justify the move. Plus, I don't want to give up dual tuners.

We've got a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she ordered the lobster.
cheer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #3 (Print)
Adv1sor

I can answer the question for myself and anyone else who cares.

I just got off the phone with my cable company.

The DVRs they use only hold 40-45 hours worth of programs.

You can't record two shows and watch a previously recorded program at the same time.

No TivoToGo like features.

I guess I could buy a Tivo myself and resubscirbe to cable.... But I don't think so.

DirecTVTivo is still my first choice.
Adv1sor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #4 (Print)
Guindalf
Master Of My Domain

Quote:

Two words - DUAL TUNERS

If you go with the cable co, the chances are you will not get this feature, even if they offer a PVR

...oh, and another three - DIGITAL BASIC CHANNELS

Much better PQ & sound than the cr*p served up by my cable co. Even MTV & VH1 (not that I watch them since they don't play any music any more!) and the movie channels (one HBO only etc.) are mono.

Your choice, but if your local cable co is anything like mine, forget it!

NE Georgia Motorcycling? Visit foothillsmc.com
Guindalf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 01:48 PM   #5 (Print)
GrumpyGuy

I went thru the same thing the past two weeks. My cable company is offering faster internet speeds but only to their combo package customers. So I decided to try their cable package. Basically, their digital channels looked as good as DTV but their analog channels were not so good. Some days one channel would look good but the same channel might not look so good the next day. It's no different than DTVs digital pixels on darks scenes. So pick your poison.

The family decided to keep DTV over cable. The reasons being, my younger kids love PBS kids, I like NASA and it's not available on cable. Their DVR is no where near as good as Direct Tivo units. Besides the TIVO units are hacker friendly. Try that with your cable DVR. Besides, everyone hated the fact of having to learn new channel lineups.

It's a tose-up.

Even though DTV is a bit more, we chose to keep them and the deciding factor was their TIVO boxes. Too bad they are splitting in 2007.
GrumpyGuy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #6 (Print)
amgqmp1

Send a message via AIM to amgqmp1 Send a message via Yahoo to amgqmp1
I have one solution...move to where I live! You probably won't want to use the cable company we have (Mediacom) for anything. Their DVR has a $500 deposit, the picture quality (which I've witnessed all around this small metro of 600,000) is terrible, and the last time I had their internet access (earlier this year), I had to reset the modem daily. When it did work, it was pathetically slow.
amgqmp1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #7 (Print)
nhaigh

There is a thread in the HD TiVo sub-forum where people are saying TiVo CSR's are confirming new HD Cable TiVo's comming in Feb 06. There is some debate as to which TiVo it is - the CC HD TiVo from TiVo or the Motorola HD TiVo from Comcast. Eitherway DirecTV get my cancellation in Feb 06.
nhaigh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #8 (Print)
Rkkeller

I wonder where you guys live ? I had DirecTV for close to 10 years and DirecTiVo for 2 before switching to cable last year. My 6412 from Comcast has dual tuners, the ability to watch a recording while also recording two shows at the same time, didn't have to leave a penny for deposit, and has HD versions of local channels plus ALL my local channels not a skimpy pick of 3-5 like DirecTV offers.

The 6412 is vastly superior to DirecTiVo speedwise by 100 fold in EVERY aspect you could ever think of testing without a doubt and the difference is not even close. The longest "Please wait" screen you will see with the 6412 is ZERO as there is none. PIP in the guide and all the menus, ability to change fonts and colors, I could go on and on. You never have to sit there in silence for 5+ minutes when rearranging your SP list like with DirecTiVo, its INSTANT with the 6412. My 2 DirecTiVos are in a box in the basement until TiVo or DirecTV can get it right like Comcast has with the 6412.

The ONLY advantage I give DirecTV is its cheaper but it also offers much less of everything (less HD channels, less local channels, less premium movie channels, etc...) so it should be cheaper.

Rich
Rkkeller is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #9 (Print)
Rkkeller

I almost forgot in my last post, the Tivo software is going to be offered as an option for the 6412 from Comcast sometime next year.

Rich
Rkkeller is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 03:31 PM   #10 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:

I read through the other posts before commenting:

1) My local cable company has all of the channels that I actually watch on DirecTV, so the useful quantity of channels has reached the same level as DirecTV.

2) My local cable company has gone all digital and no longer supports analog cable, so the quality has reached the same level as DirecTV.

3) My local cable company gives me a discount on my Internet service, if I subscribe to cable services, which makes my total cost far less than DirecTV even with three Stand Alone TiVos and TiVo service charges.

4) My local cable company bundles premium channel (HBO) OnDemand for the same price, and I really like the additional capability to access OnDemand services, which I believe are the future of video delivery.

5) My local cable company has uninterrupted music, MUSIC CHOICE, which I view as a premium service, since DirecTV ripped it out for XM RADIO.

The only reason I have not cancelled my DirecTV service, is because I am waiting for the release of the HD capable Cable Card dual tuner TiVo this next year. When that unit is released, I will likely cancel my DirecTV service after 11+ years, buy three of the new CC TiVos, and enjoy some local programming that I have gone without for many years.

Additional Edit:

My local cable company offers three difference DVRs, including MRV with Moxi, and they DO NOT require any DEPOSIT. And all three DVRs have dual tuners and HD capability, and can replay a recording at the same time as it records two shows. And I know this from some friends who have the service. Cable in some areas of the US has really caught up with DirecTV and with bundled (Not really FREE, but low cost $2 per month, compared to DirecTV price) OnDemand from quality video services like HBO are a HOOT.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer

Last edited by tbeckner : 12-19-2005 at 03:39 PM.
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 08:24 PM   #11 (Print)
SeattleCarl

I'm glad your happy with your change to cable tbeckner.
-
I just moved the opposite way, from cable (Comcast) to DirecTV.
-
Comcast locals were analog with no digital option. Result in my location was bad ghosting with ota signals (after replacing all wiring with quad RG6, new compression connectors, etc.). With D* all digital, that problem is gone.
-
Cost with D* is lower, even keeping Comcast for internet (and paying $10 a month more because I am no longer a cable tv customer). Comcast has raised prices every year, sometimes twice a year.
-
With Comcast and D* set up side by side, switching back and forth between them on a Samsung 52" DLP HDtv, in every SD case, D* looked better than Comcast.
-
I acknowledge that, at least at the moment, Comcast is ahead of D* on HD delivery.
-
Carl
SeattleCarl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 09:17 PM   #12 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCarl
I'm glad your happy with your change to cable tbeckner.
-
I just moved the opposite way, from cable (Comcast) to DirecTV.
-
Comcast locals were analog with no digital option. Result in my location was bad ghosting with ota signals (after replacing all wiring with quad RG6, new compression connectors, etc.). With D* all digital, that problem is gone.
-
Cost with D* is lower, even keeping Comcast for internet (and paying $10 a month more because I am no longer a cable tv customer). Comcast has raised prices every year, sometimes twice a year.
-
With Comcast and D* set up side by side, switching back and forth between them on a Samsung 52" DLP HDtv, in every SD case, D* looked better than Comcast.
-
I acknowledge that, at least at the moment, Comcast is ahead of D* on HD delivery.
-
Carl
If you read my other post, and even the post above, you will notice that I just added cable, not dumped DirecTV. I will wait until the new Cable Card TiVo has been released, before I make my final decision. Currently, I added cable to get access to some local channels, MUSIC CHOICE, and HBO (with bundled FREE HBO OnDemand). And I really think that HBO OnDemand is a REAL HOOT.

Also, if you read my other posts on this forum, you would know that I said that not all of the US currently has the options that I have. And my local cable company has only raised prices twice in the past four years and then only after they have made major additions or improvements to their system.

I saw the advantages of DirecTV over cable back in the summer of 1994 and special ordered my first Sony DirecTV receiver (the first of four, and it cost over $600) from a local retailer. Back in early 1994, there was no digital broadcasts on cable, cable did not have PPV, and there were very limited channel choices, so the choice was an easy one, except the monthly cost was higher.

For the last 11 years I have watched as the DirecTV, either because of politics or other business decisions did the following:
  • No locals - not even distance locals from Portland or Eugene
  • Fox Bay Area Sports channel - instead of Fox Northwest Sports channel
  • Replaced MUSIC CHOICE with XM RADIO - used MUSIC CHOICE for 11 years
  • Replaced TiVo as their DVR provider
  • Increased the price of NFLST, Total Choice, and PPV
In those same 11 years I have watched as the local cable company did the following:
  • Switched from Full Analog to Part Digital to Full Digital (just last month)
  • Added the Fox Northwest Sports channel
  • Still includes MUSIC CHOICE at no additional cost in basic cable
  • Started Offering PPV and then OnDemand PPV Movies
  • Started Offering Bundled Premium Channel OnDemand (HBO, etc) $2 fee above DirecTV price
  • Started as the 2nd Road Runner Cable Internet in the Nation with 384K/2M to now 1.5M/6M with Fiber To The Curb (with the usual $10 discount)
  • And with the monthly discount for the bundle, I would be paying less now than I would have in 1994 for basic cable
I did the math the other day, and I will have all the channels I usually watch, all of the channels are full digital, I will have HBO (with the bundled HBO OnDemand), MUSIC CHOICE again, and even with the new TiVo service fees, I will only be a couple of dollars higher than my current DirecTV bill, but I now have HBO with the OnDemand service. But I have to wait for the new TiVos. In fact, since these new TiVo will have dual tuners and MRV, I just might "SAVE MYSELF A BUNCH OF MONEY" and only buy two of them.

So answer me, how could anyone turn down that type of improvement in their video delivery service?

Plus after all of that, I will have the option to add more OnDemand services, either as a subscription service or a PPV, which is actually the new SUPER DVR service of 2006 and beyond.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 12-19-2005, 11:28 PM   #13 (Print)
SeattleCarl

Well, I've gone from cable to D* (1994) back to cable (1999) and now back to D* (last month). I'm delighted you have such a great cable company (really). If (the biggest word in the english language) my service was comparable, I would probably make the same choice you did.

Carl
Old 12-20-2005, 02:39 AM   #14 (Print)
heronbay1

Five years ago I got a lifetime subscription to Directivo. It stays with the account. That's $10 I save a month versus the cable DVR. I can't change. I love seeing the DVR service fee of $0.00 on my bill each month.

btw over a year ago I bought a lifetime subscription to Sirius. Another savvy move IMHO.
heronbay1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 05:06 AM   #15 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heronbay1
Five years ago I got a lifetime subscription to Directivo. It stays with the account. That's $10 I save a month versus the cable DVR. I can't change. I love seeing the DVR service fee of $0.00 on my bill each month.

btw over a year ago I bought a lifetime subscription to Sirius. Another savvy move IMHO.
Actually you are saving $4.99 per month, because that is the grandfathered DirecTiVo fee. There is not another $4.99 device fee, just the $4.99 DVR fee that covers all of the DVRs.

As an example, I have three DVRs and one Sony Receiver, currently active, I pay one DVR fee of $4.99, and then one device fee for each device beyond the first device, so I pay three additional device fees of $4.99. So, in total, I pay $19.96 for the DVR devices (any number) and the extra device (beyond the first device) fees per month.

If I switch to cable and buy three of the new Cable Card TiVos, I will pay one $12.95 fee, and two $6.95 fees per month or $26.85 per month, or $6.89 per month more than I am current paying for four devices. But my over all bill will be less than my current DirecTV bill and the cable service comes with HBO with HBO OnDemand, which would cost me $14.25 per month but comes with the OnDemand part bundled, which is just $2.25 per month more than the standard HBO service on DirecTV and I still get all 8 HBO channels (east and west coast feeds).

My over all cable bill will come to about $47.00 per month with all taxes and fees. My Tivo fees add another $27.00 per month, which is about $2.00 less than my current DirecTV monthly bill, but then again I will get HBO with HBO on Demand and very capable Series 3 TiVos, with MRV, TiVo2Go, and the new video podcast capability, plus some local programming that I cannot get because DirecTV and politics has screwed access to that programming.

But way beyond the lower cost and additional programming, and great capabilities of the CC TiVos, I have access to true Video OnDemand, which I view as the NEW DVR of 2006 and beyond.

In may case, I wisely choose DirecTV in the summer of 1994 to replace cable and then again I choose TiVo over Replay in 2000 (which dropped out of the DVR appliance marketplace yesterday), but today, I view OnDemand as the next great advance in video delivery, and DirecTV will never be able to offer true OnDemand capability, because of the lack of bandwidth. There is no way DirecTV could ever allow 13+ million accounts to order OnDemand video at the same time; they could never afford to launch enough satellites to even offer 250,000 accounts true OnDemand. And as the video delivery advances and works its way through the DRM process and the content owners realize what a wind fall OnDemand could be, DirecTV will be toast, except for a small number of location and bandwidth challenged premises. In other words, DirecTV will become at most a niche provider.

By the way, this will not happen overnight, but will take a long period of time to work through all of the layers of rights to the content, and to work out the marketing and subscriptions, but with out a doubt it is coming, and sooner than what most people think.

Netflix, TiVo, and based upon additional reading I did this evening even Blockbuster saw it coming. The iPOD OnDemand videos are just a small start in the process. And to tell you the truth, a lot of analysts are saying the DVD production is at its peak, and this goes the same for the HD DVDs, they will likely never reach a peak production level any higher than the current DVD production, because VOD will reduce the need for all forms of physical digital video delivery.

The phrase that should be used today to describe this situation should be that we are entering a “BRAVE NEW WORLD”.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 12-20-2005, 07:14 AM   #16 (Print)
john-duncan-yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyGuy
I went thru the same thing the past two weeks. My cable company is offering faster internet speeds but only to their combo package customers. So I decided to try their cable package. Basically, their digital channels looked as good as DTV but their analog channels were not so good. Some days one channel would look good but the same channel might not look so good the next day. It's no different than DTVs digital pixels on darks scenes. So pick your poison.

I split the difference here. I watch DTV, have a cable modem and bottom tier cable.

My local cable offers a discount to cable subscribers for the cable modem service. I have their lifeline service for cable (locals and access channels) plus cable modem for a dollar less than the cable modem alone. I rarely use it but it comes in handy when we get a big storm. Before I had TiVO I would use it with the VCR for timeshifting.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:46 AM   #17 (Print)
jimest

Well I had to switch to cable because of a recent move.

I had HD TV's with D* but did not have the HD receivers.

Time Warner gave me 2 HD dual tuner DVR's for $4.95 installation charge and I have to admit the HD is great.

It is also $15 a month cheaper than D*.

It is not a TiVo though and I definitely like the TiVo better but I think it is a fair trade off.
jimest is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 08:13 AM   #18 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

tbeckner- the one thing your calculations don't take into account is that because I, like heronbay1, bought Lifetime service on a D-TiVo in March of 2001, not only was I close to the break even point when the price reduction from $9.99 to $4.99 mo. came down in Oct. 2002, that Lifetime service stays on my account for as long as I'm a DirecTV subscriber. That meant I could step up to 2 Series 2 D-TiVos, one of them being the HR10-250, capable of HD, and not have to incur another service fee, Lifetime or monthly. A lot of people are hoping TiVo will offer a transfer option like they did for a limited time for S1 to S2 when the CC HD TiVo comes out. Being with DirecTV, I don't have to concern myself about that. I already know I can step up.

Yeah, I do pay a mirroring fee, but if I had 2 cable DVRs or 2 SA TiVos I'd still be paying a fee for the extra device. Maybe cable's a better fit for you and I'm not saying they haven't improved since I left, but it's not like they've made the changes out of the goodness of their heart. The migration caused them to make changes. There could be something in the future that could cause me to change providers or to drop multi-channel altogether. Right now, I'm pretty happy where I am. There is no such thing as the perfect provider, that's why there's competition.

TCD540040 w/Lifetime, networked, upgraded to 182hrs. @ Basic

"What a fun, sexy time for you!"- George-Michael Bluth, "Arrested Development"
bidger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #19 (Print)
The Flush

I'm jealous of those who actually have choices. The only cable provider in my location (Waverly, OH), Adelphia, has such terrible picture quality and terrible customer service that I can't fathom going back, at just about any price. And in my part of the county, they don't even offer cable internet. I've heard that they started offering digital cable since I cancelled my service with them 6 years ago, but their customer service was so bad, I still don't want to go back. We had frequent picture quality problems that were usually worse in the morning. So we called and complained and they said they would send someone out. They would call back later in the day and ask if the picture was better and we said it might be a little better now, to which they just said, well call us back if you have anymore problems. They never came and fixed the real problem. This happened more than twice. It was an easy choice to switch to satellite.

Internet offerings are just as bad. We are a little to far from a CO to get Verizon DSL, and Adelphia does not have cable internet at my house. My only choices are dialup, DirecWay and a Wireless ISP. I am going with the $50/month WISP with only 384 kps.

I wish I had real choices in my tv programming and internet access. It could be years before anything competitive services my area.

The Flush is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #20 (Print)
Kevdog

I think the choice of which direction to go really depends on where you live, because different cable companies offer widely varying levels of picture quality, different hardware and programming choices. Sometimes even the same cable company will offer different choices in different markets (as Comcast does, for example). That said, I just subscribed to Comcast here in Seattle after a lot of research. In my case, I get more HD channels, better picture quality across the board and a lower price. The Moto DVR isn't as good as a DTivo (and it took Comcast 3 tries to get me one that worked properly), but their service people were, surprisingly, VERY responsive and now that everything works, it works pretty well. Who knows, once D* starts offering HD locals here, I may give them another shot. OTOH, if Comcast offers a Tivo-based DVR (and hopefully one with more storage capacity), I could be a customer of theirs for a long time.

1 Black Lab, modified
Kevdog is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 12:24 AM   #21 (Print)
SeattleCarl

Even within a single market quality can vary. I also live in Seattle and just went from cable to D*. I compared picture quality on multiple tv's toggling between cable and D* both in north Seattle and in Everett. Every test I made, on multiple televisions, D* had better picture quality than comcast (SD). Tests included local channels (analog on cable), and other channels to include at least some digital cable selections. The tv sets used included a 35 inch RCA CRT, a 21 inch Panasonic CRT, and a 52 inch Samsung DLP HD TV. Connections were consistent (on the CRT units it was with composite video input and on the DLP unit it was by s-video).
-
I agree that if you have HD, then comcast is probably the better choice at the present time due to local channel offerings in HD. However D* has the cost advantage.
-
Carl
Old 12-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #22 (Print)
TiVo Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller
I almost forgot in my last post, the Tivo software is going to be offered as an option for the 6412 from Comcast sometime next year.

Rich

Unless you live in Washington State, where we will be "stuck" with the Microsoft interface! This from several Comcast techies.
TiVo Steve is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #23 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidger
tbeckner- the one thing your calculations don't take into account is that because I, like heronbay1, bought Lifetime service on a D-TiVo in March of 2001, not only was I close to the break even point when the price reduction from $9.99 to $4.99 mo. came down in Oct. 2002, that Lifetime service stays on my account for as long as I'm a DirecTV subscriber. That meant I could step up to 2 Series 2 D-TiVos, one of them being the HR10-250, capable of HD, and not have to incur another service fee, Lifetime or monthly. A lot of people are hoping TiVo will offer a transfer option like they did for a limited time for S1 to S2 when the CC HD TiVo comes out. Being with DirecTV, I don't have to concern myself about that. I already know I can step up.

Yeah, I do pay a mirroring fee, but if I had 2 cable DVRs or 2 SA TiVos I'd still be paying a fee for the extra device. Maybe cable's a better fit for you and I'm not saying they haven't improved since I left, but it's not like they've made the changes out of the goodness of their heart. The migration caused them to make changes. There could be something in the future that could cause me to change providers or to drop multi-channel altogether. Right now, I'm pretty happy where I am. There is no such thing as the perfect provider, that's why there's competition.
But understand you do not pay a DVR service fee for each DVR unit. DirecTV counts the second and third or more DVRs as covered under the original $4.99 DVR fee (or lifetime fee), but the lifetime DVR fee does not cover the second or third or more device/mirroring fees, which are still $4.99. So, like I said you are saving $4.99 ($5) not $10 per month with the DVR lifetime purchase.

As an example:

No Lifetime Purchase

1 DVR $4.99
2 DVRs $4.99, plus $4.99 mirroring/device fee
3 DVRs $4.99, plus two $4.99 mirroring/device fees

With Lifetime Purchase

1 DVR FREE
2 DVRs FREE, plus $4.99 mirroring/device fee
3 DVRs FREE, plus two $4.99 mirroring/device fees

So, you are saving $4.99 per month, not $10 per month.

If my assumptions are wrong let me know, but this is the pricing that DirecTV uses.

The mirroring fee of many years ago, is now called a device fee, which is no different than a TiVo DVR fee, and it even costs the same.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 12-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #24 (Print)
nhaigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo Steve
Unless you live in Washington State, where we will be "stuck" with the Microsoft interface! This from several Comcast techies.

If this is the case you won't be "stuck". You could always buy the HD CC TiVo from TiVo themselves. This will be independent of the Cable provider.
nhaigh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #25 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
In those same 11 years I have watched as the local cable company did the following:
  • Switched from Full Analog to Part Digital to Full Digital (just last month)
  • Added the Fox Northwest Sports channel
  • Still includes MUSIC CHOICE at no additional cost in basic cable
  • Started Offering PPV and then OnDemand PPV Movies
  • Started Offering Bundled Premium Channel OnDemand (HBO, etc) $2 fee above DirecTV price
  • Started as the 2nd Road Runner Cable Internet in the Nation with 384K/2M to now 1.5M/6M with Fiber To The Curb (with the usual $10 discount)
  • And with the monthly discount for the bundle, I would be paying less now than I would have in 1994 for basic cable

Although abnormal compared to most, your cable company seems to be kicking butt!

I'd be quiet about it though before DTV ends up using one of their satellites to bring one of the Sisters back to life and erase your advantage.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 01:37 AM   #26 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat
Although abnormal compared to most, your cable company seems to be kicking butt!

I'd be quiet about it though before DTV ends up using one of their satellites to bring one of the Sisters back to life and erase your advantage.
And what kicks butt even more, is that "And with the monthly discount for the bundle, I would be paying less now than I would have in 1994 for basic cable", I will have almost 3 times as many channels as I would have had with basic cable in 1994, and they are all digital, go figure.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94