Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #1 (Print)
crwmlw

Daily call with DSL

Ok all I currently have Vonage phone service and cant make that daily call, I went and signed up with SBC for local phone service today and DSL, will I be able to make the daily call with DSL and the filters that they give me? Hope so, Thanks
crwmlw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #2 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

The filters should work okay for you.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:19 PM   #3 (Print)
donivan

Another option

I've heard stories of success and failure with DSL Filters. I have Verizon dry loop DSL (No dial tone) paired with Vonage. I found the correct dialing setup on vonage-forum * com, look for the thread titled "DirectTivo and Vonage Success Stories ONLY" I have 2 DVR40's and they both were able to dial out over Vonage. Sorry for the cryptic address, but I can't post hyperlinks yet.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #4 (Print)
crwmlw

Thanks

Ok even though there is no voice (clarity) with making the daily call do I still need a filter for it to dial out and make the call? Also do they have a whole house filter rather than running a seperate one for each phone/DVR?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:40 PM   #5 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

You still need a filter since the TiVo modem is using tones in the audio spectrum.

And yes, the phone company could install a data/voice filter at the entrance to the house. Then the voice line would feed the phones and other non DSL equipment. Then the data line will run to the DSL modem. This is what I had my phone company install.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:57 PM   #6 (Print)
crwmlw

Ok

Ok great, They were going to send out the kit and when I told them I needed 4 more filters they asked why, I told them 7 phones and 3 DVR's, they said if you install 10 filters total you will lose speed on the internet drastically and possibly not even connect, so they said they wil have a tech come out since there are so many phones and dvr's that there is a whole house filter as they call it. So if anything I will have a data line go directly to the modem and the voice line to the junction box? The standard phone line is going to be installed Friday and the DSL tech on the 28th, should I tell the regular phone installer that DSL will be installed on the 28th or no need too? Thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #7 (Print)
naijai

well there are some new steps that DTV has now and i know i got it to work with a cust Hd-dvr with a regular vonage acct cant remember what state though
naijai is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #8 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

Having the whole house filter (home run) is the best way to do it as it allows you the flexibility to do whateer you want on your regular lines as long as you leave the home run to the DSL modem alone.

Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 06:17 PM   #9 (Print)
crwmlw

Thanks

Great Thanks, thats something they need to do though correct? Or can I with the self install modem kit?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #10 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

You could do it yourself.
Check the bottom two items on this page.
http://www.hometech.com/techwire/dsl.html
These are actually voice/data splitters.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:09 PM   #11 (Print)
SpectreZ91

Send a message via AIM to SpectreZ91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence
You still need a filter since the TiVo modem is using tones in the audio spectrum.

And yes, the phone company could install a data/voice filter at the entrance to the house. Then the voice line would feed the phones and other non DSL equipment. Then the data line will run to the DSL modem. This is what I had my phone company install.

That's how my DSL has been hooked up for the past 6 years.. (or atleast that many) I got into DSL before these "install yourself" kits were introduced..

I like this setup. 1 pair of wires going from the outside box to the DSL modem and then it goes to my dsl router and everything plugs into that..

I recomend this setup for anyone.. no problems what-so-ever
SpectreZ91 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 10:43 PM   #12 (Print)
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwmlw
Ok all I currently have Vonage phone service and cant make that daily call, I went and signed up with SBC for local phone service today and DSL, will I be able to make the daily call with DSL and the filters that they give me? Hope so, Thanks

If you won't actually use the local phone service for the phone much, you could sign up for metered service. Mine's about $6 less than it was with unlimited (my Tivos've been the only things using my phone for a few years.. cell phone).
mattack is offline Report Bad Post Report Post