July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2005, 07:15 AM   #1 (Print)
blhirsch
Tivo-riffic!

What's wrong with my HDVR2?

Ok, I'm stumped. I have an HDVR2, original drive 40 gig drive, hacked and networked, approximately three years old.

Last night I turned the television on and the channel was choppy. Like it was having trouble getting the signal down in a rain storm. It would pause and then go, pause and then go. Every ten seconds or so, the signal would get pixelated.

I tried to use the clicker. No luck. I couldn't even get a menu to come up. No channel up or down. Nothing. I rebooted by unplugging since I couldn't get to the "restart" menu. It started working again but within 15 seconds of choosing a show and starting to watch (now, different channel) the clicker stopped working again and it would stutter again. But not as bad as before.

I tried to bring up a menu--any menu--and no luck. Then, it randomly rebooted on its own. I happened to be pushing the main tivo button at the time. It rebooted but quickly went back to the stuttering and clicker not working. I pushed a button and waited, and about 5 minutes later, the menu would come on. So, it was receiving the signal but failing to act on it for a prolonged period of time. And even when it did, it took forever to draw the menu, with pauses and stutters.

I gave up and went to sleep since it was already late.

This morning it's frozen. It's currently trying to draw the "list" menu and it just sits there.

What's wrong?

Do I need a new HDVR2? Or just a new hard drive?

And if the answer is "new unit" can I somehow make sure I get a tivo unit?
blhirsch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 10:19 AM   #2 (Print)
GAM
Niiiice!

Sounds like your hard drive is going. I had similar symptoms a while back. I was able to put in a new hard drive using the old one that was having problems for the image while saving recordings. I did the swap at the first sign of trouble which probably helped.
GAM is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #3 (Print)
rock_doctor

The drive is gone. If you are a computer person, you can get a drive off the web, set it up and install it yourself or just get one ready to go from one of the forum sponsors.

On the other hand, you could call DTV they may send you a refurbished newer model for not too much money.

mark
rock_doctor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 11:57 AM   #4 (Print)
blhirsch
Tivo-riffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor
The drive is gone. If you are a computer person, you can get a drive off the web, set it up and install it yourself or just get one ready to go from one of the forum sponsors.

On the other hand, you could call DTV they may send you a refurbished newer model for not too much money.

mark

Sigh. I can do it. I just didn't want to have to, ya know? Besides, I'm a mac gal, and I have a pull-apart PC stashed in the basement for this kind of stuff. I used it to do the initial hacking on the tivo. I just hate dragging it out. But I will.

I'll grab a drive somewhere. If anybody knows of any good deals (circuit city, best buy, etc) let me know. There's got to be something good this last week before Christmas. I don't even need it to be any larger than the 30 gigs that's in there now. It's the second tivo anyway, and I use it mostly for multiroom viewing to pull in shows from the main (larger) tivo in the great room.
blhirsch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #5 (Print)
Dkerr24
Lost in Grand Canyon

There's plenty of deals on drives right now... you should be able to find a 120gb drive for around $50.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:55 PM   #6 (Print)
Mori
TIVO Lover

I have seen this behavior on a lot of tivo's lately, somethings to look for is how full your hard drive is, when the last time it connected to tivo, and then if all else fails reformating the hard drive will fix it.
Mori is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 01:51 AM   #7 (Print)
Stanley Rohner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori
I have seen this behavior on a lot of tivo's lately, somethings to look for is how full your hard drive is, when the last time it connected to tivo, and then if all else fails reformating the hard drive will fix it.

Never heard of a reformat being a cure for this. The drive usually has to be replaced, not reformatted.
Stanley Rohner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 04:43 AM   #8 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori
DirecTiVos do not connect to TiVo!

You could attempt a low level reformat (which can be done with the drive manufacturers utilities), but if you are not into IT or have a computer, I would recommend that you find someone to do this for you. If the drive can be low level formated and passes the drive diagnostics, then you could use an image from PTVUpgrade to reinstall the software and structures and reinsert the drive.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post