TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2005, 04:02 PM   #1 (Print)
tazzmission

Send a message via ICQ to tazzmission Send a message via AIM to tazzmission Send a message via MSN to tazzmission Send a message via Yahoo to tazzmission
When will the Stand Alone Cable Card HD TiVo be available?

I know this has been asked here a lot. I did search high and low for any info on this. All I could come up with was that the Stand Alone HD TiVo with cable card will be announced at CES this year in January. Does anyone know if this will support the cable card 2.0 spec? This will enable things like PPV and On Demand. It is not a hugh deal to me if it does not though. I can not seem to find much info on this at all. I did find a picture of what it will look like (hope links are allowed) here.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1749528,00.asp

I for one and fed up with DirecTV. I only have DirecTV for TiVo. I only have the HR10-250 because I wanted TiVo and HD in one box. In fact I have two. I am tired of paying high prices to buy the equipment I want and having to sign a long term contract too boot. Not to mention getting a TiVo box that never gets updates. I loose my signal in rain storms and when it snows. Not to mention that I have to have an OTA antenna on my roof just for HD locals.

I know HD locals are coming via DirecTV, but not for a while for me. And I need new equipment and a new dish to get them.

My local cable provider is Adelphia and their DVR is crap.

Adelphia just got bought by Comcast here.

I know Comcast is in bed with TiVo now. I know that they are working on a software upgrade for the Comcast DVR that makes it run TiVo software.

I for one can not wait until either this Comcast box is out or the cable card TiVo with HD support is out.

I will be following TiVo and not going with the new DirecTV HD box (NDS).

Okay, I am done complaining now...

I just wanted to see if anyone has any more info on the cable card TiVo or the Comcast software update...

Sony KDF-55XS955 55" RP LCD TV
Syntax Olevia LT32HV 32" LCD TV
Sharp Aquos LC-26DA5U 26" LCD TV
tazzmission is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 04:31 PM   #2 (Print)
GBL
covert opiniative

You'll have to wait until the CES announcements.

1 Sony SVR2000 (upgraded to 75 hrs), 1 Philips HDR612, 2 HDR112s (upgraded to 75 and 140 hrs), 1 SA8300HD (160GB)
unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 04:48 PM   #3 (Print)
tazzmission

Send a message via ICQ to tazzmission Send a message via AIM to tazzmission Send a message via MSN to tazzmission Send a message via Yahoo to tazzmission
Guess so. We will see what is going on soon enough. I can not wait.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:10 AM   #4 (Print)
HiDefGator

Wow. That's pretty open minded. You've already decided to go with a Comcast\Tivo box that no one has seen yet and no one knows what features it will support; instead of a NDS HD DVR that no one has seen yet and no one knows what features it will support.

I guess you have at least a 50% chance of making the right decision. I'll probably be silly and wait til I know more about the two options before I decide. But that's just me.
HiDefGator is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 01:22 AM   #5 (Print)
tazzmission

I am not saying that I am going with the Comcast box with TiVo software. I am saying I will go where TiVo goes. If the NDS HD box is anything like the current R15, I will pass on it. Like I said I am only with DirecTV for TiVo, and because they are doing away with TiVo, I will do away with DirecTV.

that is what I am saying. I will not get the cable card TiVo the day it comes out. I will read about it for a few months first. But it looks to be the holy grail. But we will have to wait and see.

I am really tired of paying for DirecTV boxes and having to extend my service every time I get a new box.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #6 (Print)
Oknarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator
Wow. That's pretty open minded. You've already decided to go with a Comcast\Tivo box that no one has seen yet and no one knows what features it will support; instead of a NDS HD DVR that no one has seen yet and no one knows what features it will support...

Based on the R15 vs Tivo with neither available to review I would say that is my inclination at this point as well. Obviously we will know more in about a week. Bring it on.

A64, 1GB, 1TB, Dual Tuner, Win MCE
HTL-HD 4 Sale!
DSR708 80hr 6.2
DSR708 80hr 6.2+ ;-)
HDVR2 160GB 6.2+ ;-)
DSR6000 120GB
Oknarf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #7 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzmission
....But it looks to be the holy grail. But we will have to wait and see....
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say THAT, but it certainly appears it will be what most of us have been pining for. I look forward to it, and will probably be one of the first to order it.

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #8 (Print)
dirk1843
I'm your huckleberry

I am in the same boat at the OP...................D*'s HD is so much crap these days, I could go with a PC solution for OTA HD and either the same setup or SA TiVo for SD. The dual tuner is what really keeps me. I tried living with a SA TiVo for a while before going with HDTiVo from D*, but after having the twin tuners I was hooked.

I have cable tv with my internet, but TiVo keeps me with D*..............