July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #1 (Print)
SmokeBringer

When will "we" get what "we" want?

OK the "royal" we. Here is what "we" want:

PVR with Tivo UI (specifications follow)

Input:
Dual ATSC tuners
Dual "third party" service tuners (D*, cable, etc)
Internet radio tuner
Local Network SMB server (stream DVD rips, MP3 audio, photos)
Yahoo photos

Record:
Record any 2 inputs while watching any pre-recorded item

Storage:
Any SMB server in my house
Local USB HDD

Output:
HDMI, component, stream over TCP/IP

Command sources:
Remote Control (IR)
HTTP servlet (Java please)

UI:
Tivo HMO (minimum)

Am I asking too much?

Old 12-27-2005, 08:59 PM   #2 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone
Probably never. I don't expect SMB support. And there is little need for them with the TiVo Server protocol documented and published.

Most of what you asked for is available today, just not all in the same product. ATSC + DirecTV is available in one box, but DirecTV has elected not to enable the network.

Internet radio is usable today - via Galleon, Live365, etc. Music and Photos is, of course, supported. You can transfer DVD rips to a TiVo via TiVoToComeBack. Yahoo photos, weather, and traffic are supported today. Recordings can be transferred to any PC with TiVoToGo, including UNIX/Linux and Mac with Galleon.

The CableCARD box will bring dual CC tuners and ATSC tuners, as well as HDMI output. The DVD units already have component out. TiVo has said that the HME interface will continue to be expanded, including exposing the DVR functions eventually.

I don't think email will happen, since more and more devices are getting browsers a web interface is more powerful and nearly as universally accessable as email.

megazone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 10:11 PM   #3 (Print)
Justin Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBringer
This coming year, congress will be looking at revising telecommunications regulation, including consideration of provisions in the 1996 Telecom Act which today are realized in the cablecard program. It is concievable that the FCC will be given adequate weapons to speed along compliance, and be given a renewed mandate to open ALL carrier networks to third party "navigation devices" such as Tivo and Home theater PCs using BeyondTv, MythTv, or Microsoft MCE.

Both the GAO and FCC have found that the only competition that has significant affect on cable pricing is intramodal competition. Just as cell phone that can be used to switch between providers will drive competition between providers, the FCC needs to expand the Cablecard initiative to include third party device access to satellite networks as well.

It will be an interesting fight- we just as easily take one giant step backwards into the dark ages. Naturally, the carriers and telco's are interested in seeing the FCC's power significantly weakened. We could even see the cablecard program dismantled.

Last edited by Justin Thyme : 12-28-2005 at 12:48 AM.
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 01:56 AM   #4 (Print)
mick66
Exit, stage left

I can only assume that by "we" you are simply reffering to yourself and what you want because everyone wants something different in their ideal Tivo/DVR.

TiVo user since May 12, 2001
TCD140060
TCD24008A
TCD540040
mick66 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 03:32 AM   #5 (Print)
Jasoco

You know, the only things from that list I want is dual tuners and component. (And Component isn't even a high priority on my list. I just ask for two tuners.)
Jasoco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 05:54 AM   #6 (Print)
MickeS

Same here, just give me dual tuners and I'm fine. Plus, my TiVo does almost everything else on the list already.
MickeS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 08:31 AM   #7 (Print)
SmokeBringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoco
You know, the only things from that list I want is dual tuners and component. (And Component isn't even a high priority on my list. I just ask for two tuners.)

Yes I guess everyone has different wants and needs. Part of my post stems from my frustration level at my home setup once I added a new Plasma TV in the bedroom. My main system is a 60" Sony Wega with a 300 disc DVD changer that sits in the living room. This is (was) a wonderful setup until I got a second TV. Now I find myself wanting to play one of those 300 DVDs (in the changer in the living room), on my TV in the bedroom. It would also be very nice to be able to view my recorded shows from the Tivo in the living room on my Plasma in the bedroom (and vice versa).

I think (but am not sure) that the CableCard Tivo will allow me to come close to getting what I want because it will add HMO features (at least that is what I am hoping for) and allow me to integrate a Media Center PC into the mix. I have as new xBox 360 hooked to the plasma unit, so that will be my "front-end" to the Media Center. Assuming the Media Center can serve up the ripped versions of my DVD collection, then I should be able to browse and play my collection (recorded Tivo content and my DVDs and CDs) from the xBox 360 HME software.

Smoke

Old 12-28-2005, 09:21 AM   #8 (Print)
nhaigh

Quote:
PVR with Tivo UI (specifications follow)

I don't mind if they change the UI so long as they keep the functionality.

Quote:
Dual ATSC tuners

If they only had one tuner I'd get two devices so to me this isn't so critical.

Quote:
Local Network SMB server (stream DVD rips, MP3 audio, photos)
Yahoo photos

HMO Provides enough of this stuff already so I'm happy.

Quote:
Storage:
Any SMB server in my house
Local USB HDD

HMO allows me to store programs on my PC so I'd sugest they save some cost here.

Quote:
Output:
HDMI, component, stream over TCP/IP

HDMI and component yes - stream over TCP/IP - get a Slingbox and let TiVo concentrate on the masses.

Quote:
Command sources:
Remote Control (IR)
HTTP servlet (Java please)

Current online scheduling etc is sufficient. E-mail? Maybe more things like the Yahoo interface would be nice.

Quote:
Am I asking too much?

No such thing as asking too much but IMHO I'd prefer they make the platform more modular. Have one tuner per box and introduce collaborative scheduling into the software. That way is you want two tuners you buy two boxes, after all why does everyone insist on two tuners other than thats not what we have now - wouldn't three be better than two? Four? I see three shows conflicting in the same way I see two.

Collborative scheduling would do the following:

1) Reduce the cost of the box as there is only one tuner. Maybe there would be a Cablecard version, at DTV version and ATSC version. Maybe the tuners could be "Slot in" and therefore upgradable if you move from OTA to Cable or whatever.

2) Give people more options - If I want two tuners I can have two, three tuners three etc. If I hardly watch TV then one would be sufficient and I'm not buying something I don't need.

3) Generate more revenue for TiVo. People who want multiple tuners would buy multiple boxes and therefore pay more for service. If the boxes collaborate then the additional fee service would be percived to have more value.

One nice addition for me would be the ability to add to the "Save until I delete" an option to "Save to Archive" such that once recorded HMO automatically copies it off the TiVo to the PC and then deletes it localy. This way the local hard disk is preserved if you are trying to record all of a series for later viewing, most of the software allready exists as this could now be done manually now, and this would go a long way to your need for a central storage mechanism.
nhaigh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 09:33 AM   #9 (Print)
audiocrawford

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaigh
One nice addition for me would be the ability to add to the "Save until I delete" an option to "Save to Archive" such that once recorded HMO automatically copies it off the TiVo to the PC and then deletes it localy. This way the local hard disk is preserved if you are trying to record all of a series for later viewing, most of the software allready exists as this could now be done manually now, and this would go a long way to your need for a central storage mechanism.

YES!

Ever since I set up my media server I have thought this would complete that experience for me. It is sort of a pain to go into the other room and cooridinate what I already transfered and what I haven't. I would love to be able to select "archive this" from either the main program menu or the "do you want to delete this recording?" menu when you come to the end of a recording.

I'd find this most useful if it deleted the original when it was finished; my biggest issue has been running back and forth from TiVo to PC to check, "did I already download that?" before I delete it off the TiVo.

AC
audiocrawford is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 12:16 PM   #10 (Print)
MickeS

If you use Galleon, you can select on the TiVo which recordings to transfer to your PC, and only recordings that have not been transferred are available. No need to go over to the PC and figure out what's been transferred alrready.

Galleon also allows you to set up transfer rules, so let's say you want to transfer every recording of "Seinfeld" to the PC, you set up a rule for that, and everytime after it's recorded, Galleon will automatically transfer it to the PC.

The only thing it doesn't do is delete the recordings after transfer since TiVo doesn't allow HMO applications to access that functionality. I too wish they would allow that, but they might think it would create more problems than it's worth.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:31 AM   #11 (Print)
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

What? No FSI?

RCA DVR80
TiVos w/lifetime: Sony SVR-2000, Philips HDR212, Tivo TCD540080
cwerdna is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 08:36 AM   #12 (Print)
MickeS

Hehe... the FSI hasn't been mentioned in a long time in the forum, it seems to me. I guess because of the bigger HDs available plus people have learned to use suggestions as FSI, and also Galleon has a simple FSI built in... can we officially declare that request dead??
Old 12-30-2005, 10:10 AM   #13 (Print)
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I don't wnat most of those things. I don't even know what some of that stuff means.

I think you need to change your title to

When do "I" get what "I" want?

Jamie: Pretty! Who are you?

From The Practice
aadam101 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post