Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2005, 11:23 PM   #1 (Print)
macflauaus

Refurbished TiVo, Okay to Buy?

I think I am going to make the jump. I was originally going to make my PC a TiVo type device but my computer cannot be made one due the expansion cards full and I want to keep it a server. I want to get a TiVo with the 12 month subscription already paid for. I was looking at the TiVo site and saw a refurb 40 hour TiVo for $185.39 altogether. Is this a good deal and are refurb TiVos alright to buy?
macflauaus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 11:33 PM   #2 (Print)
tonyonlinux

In my personal opinion refurbs are better because if they are certified they get tested before shipped out. Also, if you buy refurb MAKE SURE your getting EVERYTHING you would with a new unit. To be more specific make sure you are getting a 90 day factory warrenty, also make sure your getting ALL THE CONNECTORS. I have seen on here numerous individuals getting burned with not getting a remote, an ir cable and so on. Make sure he seller indicates the contents. Igotwired is a great seller on ebay if that is where your shopping. Some of his units come with lifetime accounts so you just have to do a little shopping.
tonyonlinux is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 11:33 PM   #3 (Print)
Justin Thyme

He is talking about the Tivo site and he won't have problems with missing parts.

I bought a refurb unit from them and as far as I could tell it was totally new- no marks- new bags.

I even looked inside and didn't find any evidence of servicing. My guess was that it was a return from someone who didn't know a monthly service fee had to be paid.

Tivo stands behind these so this is a low risk, high value proposition. They have occaisionally had really amazing deals for refurb dvd burner units, so it pays to check the tivo site periodically.
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 11:36 PM   #4 (Print)
macflauaus

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I think I am going to go ahead and buy the refurbished TiVo. Just wondering, does BestBuy offer new TiVos that have the 12 month subscription already on it? Thanks again!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:41 PM   #5 (Print)
ellinj
Quack

Send a message via AIM to ellinj
I bought a refurb a while back from tivo. It works great, I have since upgraded it to lifetime and added a bigger drive. Mine contained all new cable packs and remote, but the manual was well worn. No big deal for me because It wasn't my first unit and didn't really need it.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:48 AM   #6 (Print)
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by macflauaus
Just wondering, does BestBuy offer new TiVos that have the 12 month subscription already on it? Thanks again!

Best Buy has been offering subscription cards: 3 month, 12 month, and lifetime. You get three months free service when you buy a box from them. But you would have to pay full price for the box and service, then apply for the rebate. The refurb+12 month prepay is a good deal since you're getting a basically new box at a discount, and not having to mess with the rebate. But if you can still get the three months from Best Buy, it is about $18 cheaper. But then there is sales tax -- if you have to pay it at all on tivo.com, it would only be on the $30 for the box, but at Best Buy, you'll pay tax on the full $200.
ChuckyBox is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 01:05 AM   #7 (Print)
macflauaus

Thanks for the info. I have $295 dollars total and am going to get the credit card from my mom, pay her, and then order the TiVo. Like I said, I was thinking about buying a TV Tuner card for my PC, but the TiVo would be so much simpler for me. Thanks again guys!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:10 AM   #8 (Print)
xnevergiveinx

refurbs are cool, because they are as good as new and most likely better than new because sometimes you have a new item with a glitch and the refurb is usually a fix for that...plus they are cheaper.

i've never had any refurbished item break down on me. i've bought a refurbed series 1 tivo, xm radio, cell phones, etc

i only use seagate drives. bye bye lifetime!
xnevergiveinx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #9 (Print)
Globular
No time to hack

Me too.

Both my Series 2 240s are refurb units bought from TiVo. No problems whatsoever in (nearly) two years.

-Matt
Globular is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 09:49 AM   #10 (Print)
CTerrian
Master Of My Domain

Send a message via ICQ to CTerrian Send a message via AIM to CTerrian Send a message via MSN to CTerrian Send a message via Yahoo to CTerrian
A good deal is a happy seller, and a happy buyer.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #11 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Several years ago I had a Series 1 blow up and TiVo replaced it with a refurb that I had no problems with. I just got the DVD-burning refurb a few days ago, and you'd be hard pressed to prove it isn't brand new - everything looks and acts pristine. Heck, I even had to update my software from 5.x to 7.x. So in conclusion I think TiVo refurbs are a safe bet.

By the way, nearly every personal desktop and laptop computer for me and my immediate family the last few years have been refurb Dells with not one prob. Well sometimes they send out computers with better specs than I order, but I'm not going to split hairs.
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 11:23 AM   #12 (Print)
Atomike

I'm going to disagree with everyone here. And not just a little. You can get VERY burned with a refurb. I got one from Tivo - bad fan. Very noisy. I got another. Bad hard drive. Locked up every day. I got a third. Wouldn't even power up. Here's the real deal - Tivo gets refubished units because someone had a problem and sent it back to them. Then tivo tries to fix it and they send it to you. If they power the unit on and it works okay for a few minutes, they likely simply box it up and send it out as a "refurb". However there can be many problems that they miss or don't find - that YOU WILL FIND.

If you like gambling, a refub is fine. If you like a working Tivo - never never ever never ever get a refurb. You could get lucky, but I had 3 bad ones in a row.
Atomike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #13 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
I bought a refurb Hitachi RPTV (51UWX20B) and have never looked back. It's now nearly three years old and nary a bump. I saved 50 percent off retail, paying around $1G for it back in 2003. I've also gotten refurb VCRs from Crutchfield and just got a refurb iPod mini from Apple for my son for Christmas. Never a problem. Just BE SURE you have full warranty with these, and you're good to go !

And, BTW, you can have the same kind of problems Atomike mentions with news units, too.

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post