Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2005, 12:58 PM   #1 (Print)
disco
stayin' alive.

Send a message via ICQ to disco Send a message via AIM to disco Send a message via MSN to disco Send a message via Yahoo to disco
Okay, TCF shoppers...help me out!!

I'm looking to upgrade a Windows XP Home computer to Windows XP Professional. What's the cheapest price I can do this?? Do I dare buy an OEM version?? Is that even legal??

Old 12-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #2 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
Bit Torrent would be the cheapest.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #3 (Print)
PeteEMT
Not All Here

Send a message via AIM to PeteEMT Send a message via Yahoo to PeteEMT
I thought their were hacks to work around Home's few limitations (Domains, Terminal Services etc)

Old 12-30-2005, 05:31 PM   #4 (Print)
disco
stayin' alive.

Send a message via ICQ to disco Send a message via AIM to disco Send a message via MSN to disco Send a message via Yahoo to disco
Never mind...the software publisher which my work is buying software from says that XP Pro is RECOMMENDED because (get this..) "Home installs with internet offers and AOL and stuff" (their exact words). Um...big deal. Uninstall them...geez... They had no other real reason as to why they recommend XP Pro. The PC we want to install it on has XP Home, as do most of the PC's at our office (some have Windows 2000).

Indy: I've played with BitTorrent, but I can't imagine that a hacked/pirated version of Win XP Pro would be very stable...or legal.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:36 PM   #5 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
Never mind...the software publisher which my work is buying software from says that XP Pro is RECOMMENDED because (get this..) "Home installs with internet offers and AOL and stuff" (their exact words). Um...big deal. Uninstall them...geez... They had no other real reason as to why they recommend XP Pro. The PC we want to install it on has XP Home, as do most of the PC's at our office (some have Windows 2000).

Indy: I've played with BitTorrent, but I can't imagine that a hacked/pirated version of Win XP Pro would be very stable...or legal.

You asked if buying OEM was legal. You said nothing about other means.