July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2004, 12:31 PM   #1 (Print)
ycrazyy
Big Perm

Wireless Bridge Help

Hey guys, I have a slight problem with my buildings setup and the only solution I have found is to sort of bypass my router. I know this is OT from this forum, but I figure enough of you guys know about this stuff that someone should be able to help.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router with the Sveasoft Satori 4.0 hacked firmware. What I need to do is setup the router so that it simply passes info directly through to my TiVo's / computers (both wired and wireless). There is a DHCP server in the building on the network that needs to assign IP addresses to all of my stuff, and basically all I want to do is setup the router to be an access point. Does anyone know how to do this? I'd REALLY appreciate it, this is killing me at this point getting it to work correctly. Thanks in advance!

ycrazyy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-16-2004, 08:44 PM   #2 (Print)
zvonar

Can you explain your setup in more detail? I would think that you could just turn off the internal DHCP server and connect to the uplink port.

Old 09-17-2004, 06:45 AM   #3 (Print)
PBlais

I'm not familiar with that specific router but what I do with my wireless router is to use the ability to make it BOTH a DHCP client as well as a DHCP server. Your router needs an IP address so it is a client on the WAN side and it has a client you want to service too so it is a DHCP server on the LAN side.
PBlais is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2004, 09:21 AM   #4 (Print)
jc-nh

If I'm understanding correctly I think the following will work:

- Disable DHCP on the router (Setup Menu)
- Disable Firewall on the router (Security Menu)

Good luck.

Jeff

Last edited by jc-nh : 09-17-2004 at 09:40 AM.
jc-nh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-20-2004, 06:43 AM   #5 (Print)
PBlais

You need DHCP on the router unless you allocate a static IP to the wireless bridge that is within the LAN side of the router domain. This would also be referred to as the WAN side of the wireless bridge. WAN is upstream and LAN is downstream. In many ways inside your own LAN you don't need DHCP accept those devices that can't have one assigned statically (say like a TiVo box<g>). If you need/want to mix static and dynamic IP's then you need a bigger subnet than the subnet used to allocate the DHCP pool. That way static IP's don't over lap dynamically assigned one. OR on a nice router you can allocate an IP using DHCP but give it the same IP based each time based on it's MAC address. I do that with my network printer and my wireless access point. It's cleaner but not all routers support it.

The wireless bridge must set it's WAN port default gateway to the router. The Subnet mask is the same as the router and it's IP is from the router DHCP pool. It can get it from DHCP if you like or make it static. Done on that side.

Now the LAN side. Whole new ball game make up your own rules (sort of). All wireless client get a DHCP address from a new DHCP pool (that does not include anything in the router DHCP pool). Their subnet mask is unique inside the wireless bridge domain and does NOT overlap any part of the router domain BUT is a subnet of it (very important!). The LAN port on the wireless bridge becomes the wireless clients default gateway. So traffic move from wireless client to wireless bridge to router to the world. On the wireless access point you can use DHCP or not but you need to make sure everybody gets an IP in the subnet mask and points it default gateway to the LAN port IP. DHCP does that for you but you can do it manually IF it were possible.

Firewall features on the Router are fine as they are not the issue unless you are blocking outbound UDP and TCP port numbers that are used within the net to go outside. DHCP can deal with the rest or you can use static IP's. I don't know if it is at all possible to allocate a static IP to a TiVo box, but if you could you could<g>. DHCP is nicer when you have multiple items in the net to set up. It lets you define things in a central place and let the magic do the work.

Just don't let the DHCP issue fool you. Everything gets an IP, subnet mask, and a default gateway plus some DNS IP's too. It won't matter how if it all gets done. DHCP just sets it up. It won't change the game or the rules of TCP/IP.
PBlais is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-03-2004, 06:13 PM   #6 (Print)
rjensen

All

I have two SMC 2804WBR routers. One is connected to the internet (router) and I would like to configure the second one as a wireless bridge (bridge). I can connect and configure the bridge when it is connected via ethernet, but am unable to connect to it via wireless.

Configurations:
The bridge has an internal static ip (different from the router).
All wireless security has been turned off on both router and bridge.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Roy Jensen
rjensen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post