TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE
 


 

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

 
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2005, 10:37 PM   #151 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-ASK
Your post are totally hypothetical in nature since you nor I nor anyone on this board know the truth. But one thing we know that is true is that Tivo sent the update out to a small group of people who did not sign an NDA. So there is a possibility that the leak came from someone in this small group. reply to that and I will get back to you .

Y-ASK


actually that was my second or third post in this thread. ANd the only assumption i have made is that I am going with the statistical odds it is an NDA break. after that the rest is not hypothetical but very real speculation on the consequences and very serious ruminations on Honor and its lack among a significant subset of people and the very real consequences of that.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2005, 10:46 PM   #152 (Print)
TechDreamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Torrance,CA.
Posts: 378
Will it ever end.
TechDreamer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2005, 11:38 PM   #153 (Print)
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,566
Jesus Christ, now I know where all the action has been the last few days.

This thread was so poorly titled that I never even looked at it. I was just about to post all this stuff (news) in a new thread and I can't even remember how I accidently looked at this.

Then there is not a god damned post on the "subject" in the entire thread, save for the OP.

And I have to read the crap from the TiVo employees about "extremely" likely it came from NDA violation. Nuts. TiVo sends out a newsletter saying there is going to be this cool download thingy coming, then sends a few folks not under NDA the software, and surprise it appears "in public." It is extremely likely the TiVo employees are as lost as always.

There are a couple other threads started on this where I might have posted what I had thought was new info, but they were so inexplicably ignored (in my mind until now) that I was going to start a new thread with a catchy title.

Maybe we could get some interesting discussion on this exciting new feature - which to me is the #1 most important TiVo topic around - in one of those threads?


Appologies to the mods in advance for some phrases, but this thread deserves 'em.

__________________
TiVo: There is A Better Plan
HDTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2005, 11:53 PM   #154 (Print)
chessplayer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: somewhere in California
Posts: 150
It's ridiculous trying to guess the statistical odds without any numbers to back that up. If TiVo cares to release data on the number of beta testers and the number of random people they sent it to, then statistics would be a little more meaningful, though even then there would be know way to know with a high degree of certainty. Considering that several people here have reported getting the random update, and the vast majority of TiVo users do not frequent these forums, I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few of these "random" people.

And suppose for example that there were 900 beta testers under NDA and only 100 random people. Could we conclude that it was 90% certain that the leak was by one of the NDA people?

Absolutely not! That would be making the unwarranted assumption that an NDA person is equally likely as a non-NDA person to reveal this information. And that's an absurd assumption. I think the vast majority of the people under NDA abide by it, unless it becomes moot in the way ITV described so well, whereas someone who got the update randomly would feel free to discuss it.

It's very hard to estimate these probabilities, but it's wrong to assume that if there are a lot more NDA people than non-NDA people, then it is extremely likely that the leak was from an NDA person. It depends not just on the relative numbers of both groups (which we don't know anyway), but also on the probablity of an individual person under NDA talking to Engadget vs. an individual person not under NDA talking to Engadget.
chessplayer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 12:12 AM   #155 (Print)
Crrink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,643
Since we're all having fun making up statistics, stating our WAG's as truth and pulling numbers out of our rears, I'm going to go out on a limb and make the argument that it's statistically MORE likely that the info. was leaked by someone NOT under NDA.

Why?
(puts on deerstalker hat, dangles pipe from mouth)

ELEMENTARY, my dear Watson!
The information leaked shortly after the time period that TiVoPony told us that some users were selected at random to receive the new software.
This information was not known to anybody outside TiVo (I presume), including those in the current beta (again, I presume).

The current beta has been going on for X days/weeks/months before this info. was leaked, so why would the leaker have waited until now? Do you think it's a coincidence that s/he leaked just after some updates were released into the wild? It could very well be, but it seems unlikely, doesn't it?
Given the timing, I believe it is more likely that someone not under NDA disclosed the information.

Yes, yes, quite elementary. I'm sorry, Lestrade, there won't be anybody to haul off to the gallows today.
MRS. BAKER! TEA! Earl Grey, hot (darn it, wrong character....I'm not very good at this )

So there, that's my bit of deductive reasoning. Hope it made you crack a smile.
Crrink is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 06:59 AM   #156 (Print)
lordrichter
Registered User
 
lordrichter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,466
Send a message via ICQ to lordrichter Send a message via AIM to lordrichter Send a message via MSN to lordrichter Send a message via Yahoo to lordrichter
If all they are going to have is IFC... yawn.

This looks to me like it is nothing more than a complicated advertisement for IFC. I realize that it is on the order of a demo or preview, but related news outside of this thread doesn't really excite me much.

__________________
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.
lordrichter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 07:05 AM   #157 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrink
Since we're all having fun making up statistics, stating our WAG's as truth and pulling numbers out of our rears, I'm going to go out on a limb and make the argument that it's statistically MORE likely that the info. was leaked by someone NOT under NDA.

Why?
(puts on deerstalker hat, dangles pipe from mouth)

ELEMENTARY, my dear Watson!
The information leaked shortly after the time period that TiVoPony told us that some users were selected at random to receive the new software.
This information was not known to anybody outside TiVo (I presume), including those in the current beta (again, I presume).

The current beta has been going on for X days/weeks/months before this info. was leaked, so why would the leaker have waited until now? Do you think it's a coincidence that s/he leaked just after some updates were released into the wild? It could very well be, but it seems unlikely, doesn't it?
Given the timing, I believe it is more likely that someone not under NDA disclosed the information.

Yes, yes, quite elementary. I'm sorry, Lestrade, there won't be anybody to haul off to the gallows today.
MRS. BAKER! TEA! Earl Grey, hot (darn it, wrong character....I'm not very good at this )

So there, that's my bit of deductive reasoning. Hope it made you crack a smile.


unfortunately the open beta was anounced and people invited in in advance of the story on engagdget, but not much in advance. It does not seem to be a matter of waiting at all.
I am sure the specific info on the IFC stuff would have been present in this forum in some fashion from one of the random rollouts but since it is extremely likely someone broke their NDA to give the info to engagdget no one has wanted to post much about the specific IFC information. Yet another detriment to the Community Forum.
And yes this thread has reached the absurd point of people posting that TiVo employees are posting in the forum as a way to cover up something from their boss. It has gotten ridiculous.

and yes I did smile at the Picard reference, a nice touch.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 07:16 AM   #158 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessplayer
It's ridiculous trying to guess the statistical odds without any numbers to back that up. If TiVo cares to release data on the number of beta testers and the number of random people they sent it to, then statistics would be a little more meaningful, though even then there would be know way to know with a high degree of certainty. Considering that several people here have reported getting the random update, and the vast majority of TiVo users do not frequent these forums, I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few of these "random" people.

And suppose for example that there were 900 beta testers under NDA and only 100 random people. Could we conclude that it was 90% certain that the leak was by one of the NDA people?

Absolutely not! That would be making the unwarranted assumption that an NDA person is equally likely as a non-NDA person to reveal this information. And that's an absurd assumption. I think the vast majority of the people under NDA abide by it, unless it becomes moot in the way ITV described so well, whereas someone who got the update randomly would feel free to discuss it.

It's very hard to estimate these probabilities, but it's wrong to assume that if there are a lot more NDA people than non-NDA people, then it is extremely likely that the leak was from an NDA person. It depends not just on the relative numbers of both groups (which we don't know anyway), but also on the probablity of an individual person under NDA talking to Engadget vs. an individual person not under NDA talking to Engadget.


ah but you forget the probability of one single person having no problem breaking the NDA. judging from this thread that seems pretty high in an open beta with lots of people.
also the people at engagdget have TiVos, certainly know about this forum and would gladly join the beta, since the print stuff found out despite NDAs , then you can say the probablility that they joined nad put up the pics themselves is also pretty high.

So anyway I agree with you that specific probability numbers are outside our known data but I think approaching 100% and approaching 0% is still accurate enough to describe the two, with the caveat that it is not enough for a conviciton but is enough for a very reasonable suspiscion that a "crime" was committed.

and with that reasonable suspiscion I post on what breaking an NDA means to this community and thus why I see it as a dishonorable action.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #159 (Print)
Crrink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
unfortunately the open beta was anounced and people invited in in advance of the story on engagdget, but not much in advance. It does not seem to be a matter of waiting at all.
I am sure the specific info on the IFC stuff would have been present in this forum in some fashion from one of the random rollouts but since it is extremely likely someone broke their NDA to give the info to engagdget no one has wanted to post much about the specific IFC information. Yet another detriment to the Community Forum.
And yes this thread has reached the absurd point of people posting that TiVo employees are posting in the forum as a way to cover up something from their boss. It has gotten ridiculous.

and yes I did smile at the Picard reference, a nice touch.

I haven't been keeping up with the Open Beta thread at all, but Pony originally said that any participants would have to agree to a NDA - did that change? If not, the supposed NDA leaker would not have thought anything had changed except for the possibility of a lot of new people joining the beta (I certainly didn't).
All beta participants would still be under NDA, so any leaks would have had to come from someone who shouldn't have leaked (as long as the leaker didn't know that random rollouts had begun).
Crrink is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 09:08 AM   #160 (Print)
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,279
Tivo / IFC have issued their press release:
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...04088165&EDATE=
dt_dc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 09:14 AM   #161 (Print)
Y-ASK
Why Ask?
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Leonardtown, MD, USA
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
actually that was my second or third post in this thread. ANd the only assumption i have made is that I am going with the statistical odds it is an NDA break. after that the rest is not hypothetical but very real speculation on the consequences and very serious ruminations on Honor and its lack among a significant subset of people and the very real consequences of that.

That's right it's all speculation, in other words it's all BS. Look Tivo did this to themselves so I don't give a damn if they ever have another open beta. And guess what, if you have to sign a NDA to get the beta IT'S NOT OPEN....

I don't think anyone that has responded to this thread has ever said that it's ok to break your NDA but if Tivo sent this out to other users who did not sign an NDA(I don't care how few that number might be) then it was Tivo who broke the NDA. You want to talk about dishonorable, how sneaky was that?

Your mind has been controlled and you will do as you are told until the rights for you are sold. I am the slime from your TV set... Frank Zappa

Y-ASK
Y-ASK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #162 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc
Tivo / IFC have issued their press release:
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...04088165&EDATE=


now here is some cool news from that press release that seems new
Quote:
Originally Posted by from IFC
During the trial, there will also be a sweepstakes on ifctv.com in which
visitors to the site can enter a drawing to win a TiVo Series2 DVR with
product lifetime service subscription.** One winner will be randomly selected
each month from August through October. In addition, IFC will be promoting
the sweepstakes and the availability of IFC programming via download on TiVo
DVRs in spots airing on IFC from August through October.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #163 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-ASK
That's right it's all speculation, in other words it's all BS. Look Tivo did this to themselves so I don't give a damn if they ever have another open beta. And guess what, if you have to sign a NDA to get the beta IT'S NOT OPEN....

I don't think anyone that has responded to this thread has ever said that it's ok to break your NDA but if Tivo sent this out to other users who did not sign an NDA(I don't care how few that number might be) then it was Tivo who broke the NDA. You want to talk about dishonorable, how sneaky was that?
have you ever heard of a company that tests it systems with a small rollout. This is something TiVo has done many times before. to repeat since you do not seem to factor it in your replies - it was not the info itself but the extreme likelyhood it was someone breaking their NDA in a large beta that robbed community members of getting things earlier than others.

well I am glad you do not want a large beta (agreed it was poorly named) but would you think to make that decision for the whole TCF. I doubt it.
Since the people who have the most data are saying it is extremely likely someone broke the NDA then I can go with that and all the replies that say, oh but there is a chance it was a random person are really just noise THAT PROVE TO TIVO THAT A LARGE BETA OR A PRIORITY LIST is just not something useful for this public forum anymore.

I have posted this message out to perhaps let community members counter this with posts showing some worth. I wish I could say I was simply amazed at all the people going oh it may not be that, he is just being a zealot again, it is just BS.
but frankly this forum has gotten incredibly useless over time with all the noise and whine and me first and oh who needs honor posts.

Incredibly sad. TCF will just keep losing useful things for its members and a bunch of whiners who ignore reality will be all that is left.

have fun :rolleyes

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 08-15-2005 at 10:00 AM.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 10:26 AM   #164 (Print)
Y-ASK
Why Ask?
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Leonardtown, MD, USA
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
I have posted this message out to perhaps let community members counter this with posts showing some worth. I wish I could say I was simply amazed at all the people going oh it may not be that, he is just being a zealot again, it is just BS.
but frankly this forum has gotten incredibly useless over time with all the noise and whine and me first and oh who needs honor posts.

Incredibly sad. TCF will just keep losing useful things for its members and a bunch of whiners who ignore reality will be all that is left.

I'm sorry but I am not going to follow Tivo blindly down the path that they have chosen. They have made quite a few decisions that I totally dis-agree with over the last couple of years. But for the sake of your community I will take a back seat since as you point out my post are worthless.

Y-ASK

Oh, and for the record, I'm amazed that you don't get what the rest of us are saying... And also, No, as long as there is reasonable doubt, I am not going to blindly follow Tivo and play your numbers game...

Last edited by Y-ASK : 08-15-2005 at 10:58 AM.
Y-ASK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #165 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-ASK
Oh, and for the record, I'm amazed that you don't get what the rest of us are saying... And also, No, as long as there is reasonable doubt, we are not going to blindly follow Tivo and play your numbers game...


if TiVo said you had to eat Vindaloo on a Houseboat so you had plenty of water available and I agreed that would be blindly following.

if I point out the reality and logic and truth of a situation then that actually requires thinking for myself.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 11:02 AM   #166 (Print)
Y-ASK
Why Ask?
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Leonardtown, MD, USA
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
if I point out the reality and logic and truth of a situation then that actually requires thinking for myself.

Yeah, and I thought OJ was guilty. So much for my logic and belief of what I thought was truth on that one. It seems that reality won out in that case.

Y-ASK
Y-ASK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #167 (Print)
Justin Thyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,221
Well for all those trying to turn this into a "It's wrong to judge people without the facts", all I can say is,

Nice try. The furthest anyone has gone is to say that IF the person gave their word, then it was wrong.

Most people think that's a fair statement.

I don't think many can see spending this much time splitting hairs over it. I personally believe that while few would use my style of confrontational rhetoric, the vast majority of people at TCF believe that if the person was under NDA, that it was very wrong of them to break their word, regardless how good the rationalizations were to weazel out.

There is a small vocal minority that don't believe that, and have sought to distract attention from that central point.
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 02:21 PM   #168 (Print)
interactiveTV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
Well for all those trying to turn this into a "It's wrong to judge people without the facts", all I can say is,

Nice try. The furthest anyone has gone is to say that IF the person gave their word, then it was wrong.

Most people think that's a fair statement.
That's such BS, Justin.

There was no IF, no qualifier on this board for many, many posts. Actually, one poster TRIED to give an alternate explanation and was heckled for it. There was NO listening to the POSSIBILITY that nothing illegal was done until Pony stepped in so PLEASE STOP TRYING TO REWRITE everything.

Or were you out of the country for the first 30 or so posts too?

BTW: in the history of the world's wrongs, this one wouldn't merit 5 posts let alone 60. And was Tivo WRONG for releasing something to the public it wanted secret? Nope, 'cause Tivo can do no wrong.

The FURTHEST anyone went was YOU with images of dragging someone behind a pickup truck so please do me a favor and don't pretend you took a qualified high road here. You went so low with VERY harsch language even besides the multiple pickup truck references...

Don't play calm saint. It doesn't suit this thread. I'm done. This all has gone so beyond stupid it's unbelievable. It's frickin TELEVISION and it's a MINOR frickin update that TIVO ITSELF SENT TO THE PUBLIC. Why the posse gathered for a virtual lynching is really, really, really beyond me.

Anything to avoid the issue that IFC content isn't what we were all waiting for.

As the person who took this thread to the darkest and most horrible place, I find it galling that you now try and make it out like there was calm, rational posting here. It was SO OUT OF PROPORTION and THAT'S the fact.

_ITV
interactiveTV is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 03:01 PM   #169 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by interactiveTV
That's such BS, Justin.

There was no IF, no qualifier on this board for many, many posts. Actually, one poster TRIED to give an alternate explanation and was heckled for it. There was NO listening to the POSSIBILITY that nothing illegal was done until Pony stepped in so PLEASE STOP TRYING TO REWRITE everything.

along with giving us all the facts in a straight up kind of way I beleive the phrase "extremely likely it was an NDA violation" was also used - but fine you can ignore that to make your closing argument sound better

Quote:
Or were you out of the country for the first 30 or so posts too?

BTW: in the history of the world's wrongs, this one wouldn't merit 5 posts let alone 60. And was Tivo WRONG for releasing something to the public it wanted secret? Nope, 'cause Tivo can do no wrong.

The FURTHEST anyone went was YOU with images of dragging someone behind a pickup truck so please do me a favor and don't pretend you took a qualified high road here. You went so low with VERY harsch language even besides the multiple pickup truck references...
and did posting about NDA vioaltions being bad for this community forum merit so many replies of but there is the small chance it was not so you can not say anything" - oh wait you never said small chance - again the reality would detract from your argument. The rest I backed away from and Justin has already apologized for but lets just ignore that post as again it would not fit your rhetoric
Quote:
Don't play calm saint. It doesn't suit this thread. I'm done. This all has gone so beyond stupid it's unbelievable. It's frickin TELEVISION and it's a MINOR frickin update that TIVO ITSELF SENT TO THE PUBLIC. Why the posse gathered for a virtual lynching is really, really, really beyond me.
because it is dishnorable to violate and NDA, it hurts the TCF and we posted that. It was posted quite clearly early on that it was not the specific content of the leak but THE THE EXTREME POSSIBILITY OF A LEAK that had us posting. God forbid you speak to the main points but instead act like the small chance it was not was some supremely overriding rebuttal of our right to post our feelings on breaking an NDA - again no specific person or poster was being specified in our posts - I think you need that to kind of round out the whole posse thing

Quote:
Anything to avoid the issue that IFC content isn't what we were all waiting for.

As the person who took this thread to the darkest and most horrible place, I find it galling that you now try and make it out like there was calm, rational posting here. It was SO OUT OF PROPORTION and THAT'S the fact.

_ITV

oh, yah we mobilized immediately to save face on the content of the download - I forgot that you have seen through our deep and dark conspiracies. Justin really took one for the "Honor Police" by posting extreme things to throw everyone off the scent. And then we spread into all the other threads to make sure no one could talk about the content. (oh wait that was you taking a cheap shot in the other thread.) What a laugh and again thank you for showing the absurdity of your stance.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 03:24 PM   #170 (Print)
Justin Thyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by interactiveTV
That's such BS, Justin.

There was no IF, no qualifier on this board for many, many posts.


Post #2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
if you agreed to an NDA then honor it!


ITV, Would you like to rethink that?

Perhaps it would be better if we all read more carefully what others are saying to each other. Much of this has been unnecessary histrionics.
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 03:40 PM   #171 (Print)
interactiveTV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
and did posting about NDA vioaltions being bad for this community forum merit so many replies ...

It wasn't the POSSIBLE violation -- you still present facts not in evidence-- that really ticked me off...

it was the personal attacks, the word SCUMBAG being used, the virtual lynching

My first post was #110 and it questioned whether the vitrol and name calling was truly neccessary.

"I guess the oh-so-quick response to label him a witch, dunk him in the water, and cry for more blood is what makes this so unpalatable to a tiny minority."

There is a MANNER in which you express an opinion. A moderator even posted that these types of name calling were unacceptable. What happened? We went further down the lynching path.

If you can't seperate the MANNER in which an opinion is expressed from the opinion, I don't see the point of a discussion.

While the opinion that an NDA must have been violated is NOW known to be false, it STILL does not EXCUSE the incredible overreaction and the HORRIBLE name calling and DESPICABLE words used, even if we excuse the pickup truck example.

Post #38 Justin was called out as being abusive.

Post #44 the word SCUMBAG is used once again

Post #51 a JUSTAPIXEL points out SPECIFIC language (from Justin) that is unacceptable, including one of the SCUMBAG references

Post #105 Justin uses the term SCUMBAG yet again

Post #120 "Sure- I have used some pretty heated language. I call them like I see them. " Yet, even acknowledging "heated" language -- which a moderator ASKED to stop...

Does it? It escalates to truck dragging. Even without KNOWING what happened, how could dragging a person behind a pickup truck possible be considered as toning down the heated discussion which justapixel requested WAY back in post #51.

This is so frigging stupid already. You guys refuse to believe you did anything wrong, that the MOB mentality, name calling, and other disgusting posts in this thread were SO WRONG AND WERE OUT OF PROPORTION TO ANYTHING THAT EVEN COULD HAVE HAPPENED.

Beyond that all rational thought was gone, the tone, the attacks, the language, all of these were beyond what this forum has EVER been about.

This is the ugliest thread I've ever seen around here. It's disgusting, the whole thing and if you and Justin want to play that nothing bad happened, that it's just all OK, then do that and continue to defend yourselves.

It wasn't posts about possible NDA violations, it was beating the crap out of someone with nasty language.

I seriously doubt Justin says the things he has said on this thread to people's faces.

Morality. Honor. What a crock of *&%$!. Children hiding behind a message board thinking they're big men by virtual lynching someone from a hypocritical morality code with some of the most disgusting posts I've ever seen. AND FOR WHAT? A FRIGGING SCREEN SHOT OF SOMETHING RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC?

I hope Pony cancels all betas. Seriously.


_ITV

P.S. Zeo, you were the FIRST person in this thread to use the word HONOR. I guess the whole thread stands as a testament to the honor and morality around here. I'm gone. Have fun responding to this post. I don't want to be back in this thread again. It should have been CLOSED a long time ago.
interactiveTV is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #172 (Print)
gtan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by interactiveTV
I'm gone.


Phew!
gtan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 03:55 PM   #173 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by interactiveTV
It wasn't the POSSIBLE violation -- you still present facts not in evidence-- that really ticked me off...

While the opinion that an NDA must have been violated is NOW known to be false, it STILL does not EXCUSE the incredible overreaction and the HORRIBLE name calling and DESPICABLE words used, even if we excuse the pickup truck example.
Beyond that all rational thought was gone, the tone, the attacks, the language, all of these were beyond what this forum has EVER been about.

This is the ugliest thread I've ever seen around here. It's disgusting, the whole thing and if you and Justin want to play that nothing bad happened, that it's just all OK, then do that and continue to defend yourselves.

Morality. Honor. What a crock of *&%$!. Children hiding behind a message board thinking they're big men by virtual lynching someone from a hypocritical morality code with some of the most disgusting posts I've ever seen. AND FOR WHAT? A FRIGGING SCREEN SHOT OF SOMETHING RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC?

I hope Pony cancels all betas. Seriously.


_ITV

P.S. Zeo, you were the FIRST person in this thread to use the word HONOR. I guess the whole thread stands as a testament to the honor and morality around here. I'm gone. Have fun responding to this post. I don't want to be back in this thread again. It should have been CLOSED a long time ago.


well at least keep your attack down to one person at a time. I snipped out all that did not apply to me.

where has it been proven that it was NOT an NDA violation. if someone put in "evidence" tha tit was in deed a random user that would be different. but no, no such evidence. And don't change my opinion from "extremely likely" to "must have been" . it seems to be you dealing in absolute phrases.

and as always it was not about some screen shots but about the "extreme likelyhood" someone violated their NDA and put open betas in jeopardy.
and you stating you they cancel all betas should get the community cheering.

I have been on a consistent topic of this likely NDA violation is bad for betas and this community becasue a vocal minority chose to ocme in and jump all over it as somehow wrong to express this opinion. I would have been done at post #2 as tha tis all I needed to say but as always a vocal bunch want to go and attack such clear thinking and realism as somehow being zealous, I have not done any personal attacks and if you care to be direct with me then fine otherwise do not lump me into things I do not have to defend.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #174 (Print)
Y-ASK
Why Ask?
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Leonardtown, MD, USA
Posts: 635
Yep! I'm done with this too. Go ahead and lynch the SOB. Hope it makes you all feel better...

Y-ASK
Y-ASK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #175 (Print)
Justin Thyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,221
Repeating these mischaracterizations does not make them so.

The scorn for a person who breaks their word only apples "if the person signed the NDA".

The "IF" showed up not after "many many notes".

There were exactly Zero notes between the OP and the note #2 where this IF first appeared.
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #176 (Print)
Test
Register User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
where has it been proven that it was NOT an NDA violation. if someone put in "evidence" tha tit was in deed a random user that would be different. but no, no such evidence. And don't change my opinion from "extremely likely" to "must have been" . it seems to be you dealing in absolute phrases.


where has it been proven that it WAS an NDA violation. if someone put in "evidence" tha tit was in deed a beta user that would be different. but no, no such evidence.

have to agree with y-ask and itv...and i am unsubscribed to this thread also...

and yes...phew...let the lynching continue...
Test is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 06:22 PM   #177 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test
where has it been proven that it WAS an NDA violation. if someone put in "evidence" tha tit was in deed a beta user that would be different. but no, no such evidence.

have to agree with y-ask and itv...and i am unsubscribed to this thread also...

and yes...phew...let the lynching continue...



intriguing how the word "lynching" is not seen as overblown and wildly out of place.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 09:55 PM   #178 (Print)
Crrink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
intriguing how the word "lynching" is not seen as overblown and wildly out of place.

Well, as a response to a completely misplaced hysteria, I think most of us see it as somewhat appropriate.
No, two wrongs don't make a right, but they sometimes make a funny.
Crrink is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2005, 10:22 PM   #179 (Print)
justapixel
Avatar made by Kid 2
 
justapixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacto
Posts: 12,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcPerkel
Since When???...

Personal Attacks have always been prevalent on TivoCommunity. (Read the top five threads at any given time.) If moderating was taken seriously those posts would have been removed and posters penalized.

Real Moderators Moderate, pseudo-moderators discuss moderating.


Unfortunately, we moderators are unpaid. We have lives and jobs and are often very busy. So, unless people report the threads, we may not see them. This is a very busy forum and we moderators do not have the time to read every post on this forum.

The flaming in this thread was reported, I read the thread and agreed. I posted a warning in the hopes that everybody would be adult enough to continue a conversation without fighting. However, I see the fighting has continued past the point where any useful information will be exchanged, so I will no close this thread.

If any of you see flames in the "top five threads" or any threads, please click on report to moderator, and we will get to it quickly.

__________________
Lean, mean, moderating machine,
and AARP Monthly's Hot Jailbait of the Month

Ann Gets Fit
justapixel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
 
Forum Jump
Thread Tools

Go Back  TiVo Community Archive2 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C)opyright - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not affiliated with TiVo Inc.


Spider History Index