Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2005, 11:52 AM   #1 (Print)
b166er
Networked & Lovin It

good site for online UK tv listings anyone?

It's not strictly a TiVo question I know, but I'll be using TiVo to record the shows

Does anyone know of a good site that shows UK TV listings in the same format as you get them in publications like the TV Times/Radio Times/TVQuick/TVEasy etc.

I like the layout of the printed publications but I'm out of the country and unable to get hold of one in time. I've registered at the radio times website and although all the information is there, you need to view about 6 or 7 different pages (in time sections of about 2-3 hours) to see a whole day. Multiply that by 7 for a whole week and you're looking at 50 webpages. I'd much rather see everything for the whole day on one page for terrestrial and one page for satellite just like the magazines do.

Not expecting to hear a positive answer but no harm in asking.
b166er is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #2 (Print)
Rob Nespor Bellis
Grumpy Sod

Rob Nespor Bellis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-29-2005, 12:20 PM   #3 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

It would be impossible to fit a whole days listings onto a web page and for it to be sensibly viewable.

For some things, dead trees still work best.

Thank god, as that's what I do for a living!

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #4 (Print)
cwaring

Send a message via MSN to cwaring
There is an excellent PC-based solution called DigiGuide that costs only £9 per year.

Using this has the added advantage of being integratable (is that a word?) into TivoWeb

You can view listings in 'per channel' or grid format and, if required, can print them out in various re-defined layouts, or design your own.

Telewest Active Digital with Pace 2000 STB
Now with added Tivoweb!
Tivo TV Ads & PDF Manuals
cwaring is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #5 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Digiguide only shows 3hrs at a time, which is what b166er is trying to avoid.

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-29-2005, 07:41 PM   #6 (Print)
Sneals2000

Haven't used it much, but tvtv.co.uk is bundled with Elgato devices - and seems to have a more listings style layout - slightly less "half-hour block" based, more like a Radio Times page.
Sneals2000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-30-2005, 12:52 AM   #7 (Print)
cyril

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderton
It would be impossible to fit a whole days listings onto a web page and for it to be sensibly viewable.

For some things, dead trees still work best.

Thank god, as that's what I do for a living!

It is possible if you have four 30 inch monitors at hi resolution displaying one rather large web page.

Alternatively, two 30 inch monitors and a new 3D operating system interface of some sort

The paper solution is 10,000 times cheaper as a one-off though! A lot easier to bring on to the train too!

Last edited by cyril : 10-30-2005 at 01:09 AM.
cyril is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-30-2005, 02:24 AM   #8 (Print)
iankb

I use a Samsung SyncMaster 213T LCD monitor in portrait mode. Best thing I ever bought.

With a screen resolution in portrait mode of 1200x1600, you get almost the same width as a 1280x1024 and, by the time you take out wasted space on toolbars, etc, you get at least twice the depth.

It's so much better for web browsing, for word processing, and for program code editing. It cuts down the scrolling significantly, and you get a much better idea of context when you can see more.

I only switch it back to landscape for games playing and watching DVDs, using a hot-key in the video driver to toggle the orientation. Beware of other large-screen monitors that don't have a swivel mount for portrait mode.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
iankb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-30-2005, 10:35 AM   #9 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankb
I use a Samsung SyncMaster 213T LCD monitor in portrait mode. Best thing I ever bought.

It's so much better for web browsing, for word processing, and for program code editing. It cuts down the scrolling significantly, and you get a much better idea of context when you can see more.

Major personal rant.

In the web surfing era, it really, really, really bugs me that the norm for pc screens is landscape.

Even some tablet pcs, which are ideal for reading in your armchair, seem to assume the default orientation is landscape.
pgogborn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-31-2005, 06:42 AM   #10 (Print)
alextegg
Tall Member

This site is quite good for what you are asking, provided you don't want 50 channels.

You could always set up 2 pages with 6 channels on each, 2 pages is better than 50!

Alex

http://www.bleb.org/tv/all.html?c=b...one&c=e4&day=0/

Telewest with PACE 1000 & Dongle
alextegg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-02-2005, 03:35 PM   #11 (Print)
b166er
Networked & Lovin It

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextegg
This site is quite good for what you are asking, provided you don't want 50 channels. You could always set up 2 pages with 6 channels on each, 2 pages is better than 50! Alex
http://www.bleb.org/tv/all.html?c=b...one&c=e4&day=0/

Thanks Alex - that site's great

I looked at digiguide.com also - looks like it has possibilities. Quite willing to pay 9 quid a year if I can configure it the way I want.

To join in the monitor discussion - running dual 19" LCD samsung syncmasters @ 1280x1024 in extended desktop mode to give 2560x1024 .... sweeeeeeeeeeet Plus the second monitor has a splitter cable and that is also fed into a 26" Sharp LCD TV. Great for watching downloaded shows (if I were to do such a thing of course)

**edit: Digiguide is brilliant. After only half an hour with it I'm already 99% sure I'll sign up for the service.

Last edited by b166er : 11-02-2005 at 04:22 PM. Reason: tried digiguide for half an hour
b166er is offline Report Bad Post Report Post