TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2004, 04:39 AM   #1 (Print)
paulpaul1308

'Black' replacement remote - better than the silver???

I see on eBay that somebody is selling a 'black' remote that they claim sorts out the following:

1. TiVo responds more quickly to your commands;

2. the "double press" problem, where TiVo thinks you have hit the right button twice when you only hit it once.

I have got to say that I find both of these things pretty annoying, though I would have thought that the first was the fault of the TiVo box rather than the remote. So my question is, does anybody have any experience of this replacement remote, and if so does it do what it is claimed to do?
paulpaul1308 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2004, 09:47 AM   #2 (Print)
Ian_m

May be quicker but no AUX and VCR buttons ?
Ian_m is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2004, 10:24 AM   #3 (Print)
aerialplug
Expert TiVo User

Location: London (near enough anyway.. people laugh when I say the name of the place I actually come from!)
I have two black remotes- one for my US TiVo and one spare for when the silver one decides to negotiate it's way into the bowels of the sofa.

The spare is identical in function and behaviour to the sliver one with the exception that it doesn't have AUX and VCR buttons (the US TiVo models don't support this).

The black remote is absolutely identical internally as it appears to have been constructed in the same factory, so although it may solve the double press problem, it may not itself be immune to the problem and could eventually become similarly afflicted.

As to response times ... there may be different silver/black models on the market, but the response from both my silver and black remotes are the same.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:00 AM   #4 (Print)
sjp

of course it's better... it's black
sjp is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2004, 01:25 PM   #5 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

aerialplug, with the black remote can you get Tivo to display the TV Guide while you are playing back a recording?

Automan.
Automan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-02-2004, 04:42 AM   #6 (Print)
aerialplug
Expert TiVo User

Location: London (near enough anyway.. people laugh when I say the name of the place I actually come from!)
Quote:
Originally posted by Automan
aerialplug, with the black remote can you get Tivo to display the TV Guide while you are playing back a recording?

Automan.

I can't say I've noticed - I'll give it a try tonight.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:06 AM   #7 (Print)
fieldeffect

Other people have the double press problem! Wow!!! I thought I was actually going completely insane.

TiVo insist that it's because your remote batteries are low. Yeah right.

Yours vindicatedly,

Nick
fieldeffect is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-02-2004, 04:50 PM   #8 (Print)
mike0151
A Friend of Dot

Send a message via MSN to mike0151
Quote:
Originally posted by fieldeffect
Other people have the double press problem! Wow!!! I thought I was actually going completely insane.

Yours vindicatedly,

Nick

The TiVo remotes are notorious for the double send problem. Sometimes you can clean them to delay the inevitable. I tried with one of mine but it didn't help. They are just really poor quality (IMHO).

Mike

Old 07-04-2004, 04:57 PM   #9 (Print)
blaggard

I got mine replaced under warranty for double press....about 2 weeks before the warranty ran out...PHEW!
blaggard is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 05:56 AM   #10 (Print)
aerialplug
Expert TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by fieldeffect

Yours vindicatedly,

Nick

They're not that difficult to fix - I experienced the double send problem on a remote. I took it apart, cleaned the circuit board and carbon switches then put it back together again.

It seemed to fix the problem - though not completely as the remote very occasionally still sends out a double signal.

Old 07-05-2004, 08:41 AM   #11 (Print)
aerialplug
Expert TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by Automan

Automan.

Actually, I didn't know you could do this even with the silver remote... I assumed to get the TV Guide up meant pressing the "live" button, which also stops the recording in its tracks and displays the live screen.

Am I missing something here?

Old 07-05-2004, 01:25 PM   #12 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

The theory is that the black remote has a dedicated TV Guide button so you can display the TV Guide while playing back a recording.

Automan.
Automan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 01:34 PM   #13 (Print)
Rob Nespor Bellis
Grumpy Sod

When you press the "Dedicated" Guide button on a black remote whilst playing back a recording the TiVo switches to live TV and overlays the guide on top.

So no better than a silver remote in that respect, however......

The later remote controls are not as finicky about battery power as the silver Thomson remotes so battery life is much longer, plus you can get a dual TiVo remote so you can control two different TiVi with the same remote ( assuming you have two TiVi, they are in the same place, and you want to use only one remote )

Rgds,

R.
Rob Nespor Bellis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 04:05 PM   #14 (Print)
healeydave
tivoland.com

I am 99.9% positive that the double press problem is curable by cleaning the pcb and conductive rubber!!

In other words, this symptom is definately not an electrical problem (component wise) that the silver remote inherits over time more like debris causing the pads to conduct for long enough for the tivo to get two or more commands (e.g. the same as holding a key down and seeing the remote continually send) and I doubt its unique to the silver remote either!!

Basically the black remote's advantages are that is is more efficient on battery consumption and its disadvantages are that it has the missing buttons.

The colour can be an advantage and a disadvantage depending on the users current AV scheme :-)

Hope we have dispelled some myths here.

Last edited by healeydave : 07-05-2004 at 04:13 PM.
healeydave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 04:16 PM   #15 (Print)
Rob Nespor Bellis
Grumpy Sod

Quote:
Originally posted by healeydave
I am 99.9% positive that the double press problem is curable by cleaning the pcb and conductive rubber!!

In other words, this symptom is definately not an electrical problem that the silver remote gets and its also not unique to the silver remote either!!

I agree, however I think there is a level where any remote is beyond cleaning, the pads and PCB are just too worn for cleaning to fix.

Also the double bounce problem could be "sorted" in hardware by improving the code that recognises the bounce, this may be the case in later remotes, especially the series 2 ones.

Rgds,

R.
Rob Nespor Bellis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 04:37 PM   #16 (Print)
healeydave
tivoland.com

yes, in fact, I question the design in the electronics that allows the repetition of signal by keeping the contact made.

Most of the buttons allow for this repetition but the aux button only goes once. If they had made all the buttons act this way, the debounce problem wouldn't arise.

They'd still need cleaning after time because you'd probably get to a point where the buttons didn't even go once with enough crap in there, but that would be after a significantly longer period of time than it takes for the debounce problem to occur.

Regs
Dave

Old 07-06-2004, 04:13 AM   #17 (Print)
bigwold
Sedentary Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobBellis
two different TiVi

I have always used TiVos as the plural of TiVo. Now we have TiVi. Which is it?

601F+601E+6020
Tosh 42"+Yamaha DSP-A1 Amp
bigwold is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2004, 04:44 AM   #18 (Print)
iankb

Suggestions as to cleaning the remote are:
  1. Use a cleaning agent (or WD40) to clean the contacts. Never found this that good.
  2. Repaint rubber contacts with conductive paint (expensive to buy, cheaper to buy a new remote).
  3. Rub contacts with sandpaper.
  4. Don't bother. Buy a good programmable remote.
One thing I have found is that the problem does not seem to affect their use over a video/remote sender so, if you have multiple remotes for different rooms, try rotating them.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
iankb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-07-2004, 05:36 AM   #19 (Print)
poppadum

Quote:
Originally posted by healeydave
Most of the buttons allow for this repetition but the aux button only goes once. If they had made all the buttons act this way, the debounce problem wouldn't arise.

Really? I frequently get a double bounce when pressing the aux button (it happens with other buttons too). Cleaning hasn't helped.
poppadum is offline Report Bad Post Report Post