THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-11-2005, 01:21 PM   #91 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75
Yeah, I understand about the seperate calls for PPV. However, I imagine it would still have to use the prefixes that you place in the phone set up area. With that in mind, you cannot update those (right now they have a pound sign in them) without succesfully completing (including making a test call) phone set up. If there were some sort of hack, on the other hand, to change these settings....
I don't think that the # signs affect the DTV calls. Phonereset puts in the # signs and I asked once if that would prevent the DTV calls, I think it was Dan Collins who replied back that he used phonereset and tested by ordering a PPV and sure enough he got billed for it.
willardcpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #92 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
That very well MIGHT be it.
Since the phone call is PPP. I never considered that before. (Nor has anyone else apparantly.)
I'll pull the route commands out and test.

Gunny,

after testing, the route commands definately cause a call to the mother ship to fail during the negotiation phase. I hooked up a phone line to my DSR7000 and if I comment out the route commands and reboot, a test call completes succesfully. Re-instating the route commands causes the call to fail at negotiation every time.

Jeff

Old 11-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #93 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Yeah and I can't believe we all missed this before. So with route commands there is no need for fakecall.tcl beyond getting thru guided setup.
No need to unplug the phone line either since the tivo call will be blocked.
Hmm. PPV via remote again anyone?

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #94 (Print)
bengalfreak

Does this mean there is no reason to be running crond? At least in my setup, I believe the only thing crond is doing is running fakecall twice a week.

And truthfully, fakecall only needs to be in your rc.sysinit.author just the one time after rebooting when first zippered.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #95 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

I guess not since superpatch suppresses the nag screens.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #96 (Print)
bengalfreak

Wow, I actually contributed something of value. I am so freakin' proud of myself.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:29 PM   #97 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

bengal freak YOU ROCK

Old 11-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #98 (Print)
slydog75
Not all that sly

Man, has the OP returned to this thread yet? LOL Don't we all feel foolish now! Now I"m wondering if these route commands will screw up a PPV call..
slydog75 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #99 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

no sly they don't

Old 11-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #100 (Print)
slydog75
Not all that sly

Great Gunny, thanks
slydog75 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #101 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
Athenian I do apologize.
Apology accepted Gunny.

I know how hard it is to ignore assumptions and give each possibility a thorough try. As a non-Linux person with a fair amount of computer expertise it seemed to me that was the logical starting point. With so many "no way" comments from here though, I decided to to go back and tested the modem, the line, and hacked from scratch. It's been a frustrating 3 weeks but at least I was able to come up with a work-around that solved my immediate problem.

Going back to my original question: I'm still interested in knowing if/how the rc.sysinit.author file can be edited for this or anyother purpose without having to open the boxes (TiVo and PC) again. I can telnet to my connected TiVos from Windows but the Pico editor isn't available and you made it quite clear that one should not use a Windows editor for that file. As an alternative, I tried creating a Linux virtual machine and booting from the PTVTools CD but I couldn't find a telnet command there.

Is there another way for a Windows user to make the change? Would it work if I saved a new file from the linux virtual machine to diskette (not quite sure what would be involved as far as initializing a diskette or directing output to the device but it must be possible) then used Windows to telnet and copy the file to the TiVo? Or would that corrupt the file too?
Athenian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #102 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenian
I'm still interested in knowing if/how the rc.sysinit.author file can be edited for this or anyother purpose without having to open the boxes (TiVo and PC) again. I can telnet to my connected TiVos from Windows but the Pico editor isn't available and you made it quite clear that one should not use a Windows editor for that file.
Pico is not on your Tivo, but "vi" is. It's a clunky editor, but it works. If you've used my enhancement script, it installs the joe editor, which is much more like pico. Just because you can't edit a file with a windows text editor, doesnt mean it can't be edited on an Windows machine. Any unix aware text editor will work - I use Ultraedit.
rbautch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-12-2005, 04:14 PM   #103 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
Does this mean there is no reason to be running crond? At least in my setup, I believe the only thing crond is doing is running fakecall twice a week.

And truthfully, fakecall only needs to be in your rc.sysinit.author just the one time after rebooting when first zippered.
I still think there is value in making sure your tivo never even ATTEMPTS to make the call. If you happen to be on the phone when tivo is trying to make a call, it can be quite annoying. The othe big use for cron IMO is making regular backups of your season passes, especially if your hacking destroys your tivo now and then.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:36 PM   #104 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Pico is not on your Tivo, but "vi" is. It's a clunky editor, but it works. If you've used my enhancement script, it installs the joe editor, which is much more like pico. Just because you can't edit a file with a windows text editor, doesnt mean it can't be edited on an Windows machine. Any unix aware text editor will work - I use Ultraedit.

metapad is great also. And filezilla (the ftp client) can be configured to edit a file in place so all you have to do is right click it choose edit, make your changes in metapad and then save.

Old 11-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #105 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Pico is not on your Tivo, but "vi" is. It's a clunky editor, but it works.
Thanks rbautch . I couldn't resist doing a little experimentation on one of my networked boxes -- "clunky" is too kind a description of "vi". I dug out a license I had been given for UltraEdit though and it's quite nice. Not only does it let me specify "Unix-LF", I can save directly to FTP too.

As clarification: I assume that I can create a new rc.sysinit.author file with the route commands asterisked out (or other changes), save that in "etc/rc.d/" then run chg mod 755. Is that correct?

My upgrade logs don't include any references to rc.sysinit.author for the NutKase patch but I see that your enhancement script does modify that file. If I were to overwrite the sysinit.author file with a modified version, would I need run the uninstall script then reinstall the enhancements or would it be okay to leave everything else alone?
Athenian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #106 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

use "#" to comment out whatever you don't want in the author file.
No need to chmod it again.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:56 PM   #107 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenian
My upgrade logs don't include any references to rc.sysinit.author for the NutKase patch but I see that your enhancement script does modify that file. If I were to overwrite the sysinit.author file with a modified version, would I need run the uninstall script then reinstall the enhancements or would it be okay to leave everything else alone?
The easiest way would be to FTP the current rc.sysinit.author file that's on your Tivo to your PC, and edit that one, and then FTP it back. If you want to start with a fresh author file, then you'd have to uninstall/reinstall the enhancements script to get the startup commands back in there. If you choose the latter option, there's on catch, when you run the uninstall script it will restore your original author file automatically, so the order you do things is critical:
1. Run the unistall script
2. FTP your new author file to Tivo
3. Reinstall the enancement script.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #108 (Print)
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

Despite your disparaging PM, I can give you another tip: Hackman (see signature) can edit rc.sysinit, rc.sysinit.author, etc. directly from TivoWeb with no need for vi or ftp.

PortlandPaw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-13-2005, 07:30 PM   #109 (Print)
ttodd1
Computer Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandPaw
Despite your disparaging PM,

Oh you got one too?