Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2005, 05:13 PM   #1 (Print)
djsting

Arrow Need HELP!! PC Will Not Boot With TiVo 'A' Drive Installed

I have placed my TiVo 'A' drive in my PC and it will not boot now. I have tried the TiVo drive as the master (although this is documented not to work) and slave on the primary controller and also as the master slave on the secondary controller. NO configuration seems to work! I remove the TiVo drive and the PC boots to the CD-ROM just fine.

The issue is upon the system BIOS posting it hangs when detecting the TiVo drive. It is a 120GB Maxtor drive. The computer is a PII 300, I have also tried it in a PII 400 system with slightly different results. In the PII 400 the BIOS detects the drive then hangs on the next boot screen...this is still before attempting to boot from the CD-ROM!

I have tried pressing F4 to skip the detection of the drive and this does not work either!

Any thoughts? Please....
djsting is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 05:24 PM   #2 (Print)
djsting

I also just tried setting the BIOS to 'NONE' for everything except the CD-ROM drive and still it hangs in the same place when the TiVo drive is connected...when the TiVo drive is removed the system boots to the image on the CD as expected (NO other changes were made).
Old 12-28-2005, 09:21 PM   #3 (Print)
funtoupgrade

Are you sure your drive jumpers are correct? If not, you will experience the type of problems you are having.

TiVo 240060 with 200GB Seagate (wireless)
Humax DRT800 with 160GB Seagate (wired)

Anywhere from 0-10 misc. standalones waiting for upgrades for resale on eBay.
funtoupgrade is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 12:49 PM   #4 (Print)
djsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtoupgrade
Are you sure your drive jumpers are correct? If not, you will experience the type of problems you are having.

VERY certain, as stated above I have tried it as both a master (i.e. no jumper changes needed although I did double check them) as well as a slave.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:55 PM   #5 (Print)
HomeUser

Your PII most likely does not support Cable Select. In a single drive configuration for the drive to be a master the select jumper is probably removed verify the position with the label on the drive. A different jumper location is used when the drive is master with a slave device (cdrom) on the same cable.

Make sure that the bios boot options are set to boot the CD first.

If your BIOS settings for the Drives have "Auto" select it. an incorrect setting will hang the boot process.
HomeUser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #6 (Print)
djsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser
Your PII most likely does not support Cable Select. In a single drive configuration for the drive to be a master the select jumper is probably removed verify the position with the label on the drive. A different jumper location is used when the drive is master with a slave device (cdrom) on the same cable.

Make sure that the bios boot options are set to boot the CD first.

If your BIOS settings for the Drives have "Auto" select it. an incorrect setting will hang the boot process.

Again, the jumpers ARE SET CORRECTLY.

The systems are both set to boot from the CD first. As stated above they boot just fine when the TiVo drive is removed...even if I reconnect the original PC hard drive the system still boots to the CD if I leave it in. The issue is with the TiVo drive in some way. I just do not know what.

I didn't mention this, yes the drives are set to "Auto" in the BIOS. I even tried setting them to "None" and got the same result. This was rather odd as the BIOS should have then only found the CD-ROM and booted right to the CD allowing me to continue as Linux does not rely on the BIOS to tell it what drives are installed (I know this because my Linux file server is a Pentium 133 and has three 250GB drives in it...works like a charm!).

Since nobody has had any new thoughts on this I may be forced to shut down my primary workstation and dismantle it to see if this will help any (it's a much newer system and maybe all will work as expected). I really hate to do this as I will have no email, internet, etc. while in the process and thus no way of obtaining additional assistance/information.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:05 PM   #7 (Print)
funtoupgrade

What size is the PC hard drive that works? This may be a drive size issue. Are you using the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

TiVo 240060 with 200GB Seagate (wireless)
Humax DRT800 with 160GB Seagate (wired)

Anywhere from 0-10 misc. standalones waiting for upgrades for resale on eBay.
funtoupgrade is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #8 (Print)
djsting

Ok, as I had mentioned last night I have taken down my primary workstation and attempted using it and all is going well. It does appear that neither of the other two systems liked the drive...

Now all I have to do is figure out all of the right settings.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #9 (Print)
BobCamp1

I'd try using your Linux server or your new PC for the upgrade. I had the exact same problem with one of my (now recycled) PCs.

I have generally found three issues with old PCs:

1. The PC doesn't like large hard drives and refuses to pass POST.
2. The PC boots but only 137GB is seen.
3. Linux doesn't like all motherboards. This usually results in weird messages during booting, and the hard drives are not detected properly.

Oddly, some original Pentium motherboards work just fine, while PII and PIII motherboards will choke.

Finally, despite people being 100% certain they got the jumpers right, they didn't. I've noticed that the sticker with the jumper settings on it is frequently placed upside-down on the hard drive, with no reference to which pin is pin 1. Only by going to the manufacturer's web site and downloading the full data sheet can you tell if you have the jumpers set correctly. Once, the data sheet and the sticker on the hard drive didn't even match!

EDIT: You replied before I could send my post. Glad things are going well now.
BobCamp1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post