July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2004, 10:00 AM   #331 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
Keep an eye out for threads abut TiVoToGo which envisages just this functionality. Your (limited, pre-registered) PCs on your own home network will be provided the capability to download shows off your TiVo/s to watch using a PC application or something of that sort. Its slated for Fall release, and we're all getting antsy waiting for it to be announced

Apparently TiVo already demonstrated it at some trade shows!

Old 11-01-2004, 10:54 AM   #332 (Print)
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Quote:
Originally posted by stevel
No, that is not possible at this time. If your computer has audio/video outputs, you could connect those to the Toshiba and do a manual recording.

If the computer FireWire output looked just like a DV stream from a camera output, could the Humax TiVo/DVD recorder capture that video to the hard drive and then burn a DVD from it?

The Humax unit has a FireWire/DV input for recording from mini-DV cameras, so it seems like it could work.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:00 AM   #333 (Print)
clemson96

Quote:
Originally posted by ashutoshsm
Keep an eye out for threads abut TiVoToGo which envisages just this functionality. Your (limited, pre-registered) PCs on your own home network will be provided the capability to download shows off your TiVo/s to watch using a PC application or something of that sort. Its slated for Fall release, and we're all getting antsy waiting for it to be announced

Apparently TiVo already demonstrated it at some trade shows!

ashutoshsm,
Thanks for the information on the TivoToGo! Do you know if that is to be a feature that will be automatically downloaded to the TiVo box itself? Also do you know if there will be a cost for this program or service? Thanks!
clemson96 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-01-2004, 11:09 AM   #334 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

They've announced/hinted/implied that PC downloads for the purpose of viewing will be free and automatic on all supported TiVos (I doubt older TiVos - Series 1 will work with this!).

They've also implied/hinted that Sonic myDVD will be a pay software and the only one usable to burn these videos to DVD.

The threads are out there, including irritating/silly daily threads in this section about whether/when it'll be released. Speculation is rife, but the release has been demo-ed and promised. That's good enough for me. For now.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:31 PM   #335 (Print)
SonyPlanet
Early Adopter

With TiVo-2-Go, get ready for proprietary video files containing Digital Rights Management, capable of self-destruction after a specified time period.

Burnable only by one specific DVD program, I would imagine the files are probably only playable by that program as well, since they obviously will be non-standard.

This means you can forget using TiVo-2-Go as a way to archive stuff permanently off your TiVo, because TiVo would be in control of your collection, not you.

The workaround may be to burn your content and then rip it back off the DVD into a standard format. But you can do that now with the DVD burning TiVos anyway.

With the latest patch enabling self-destruction of PPV content on the TiVo itself as well, we are headed toward some dark times.
SonyPlanet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-01-2004, 04:03 PM   #336 (Print)
clemson96

Quote:
Originally posted by SonyPlanet
With TiVo-2-Go, get ready for proprietary video files containing Digital Rights Management, capable of self-destruction after a specified time period.

Burnable only by one specific DVD program, I would imagine the files are probably only playable by that program as well, since they obviously will be non-standard.

This means you can forget using TiVo-2-Go as a way to archive stuff permanently off your TiVo, because TiVo would be in control of your collection, not you.

The workaround may be to burn your content and then rip it back off the DVD into a standard format. But you can do that now with the DVD burning TiVos anyway.

With the latest patch enabling self-destruction of PPV content on the TiVo itself as well, we are headed toward some dark times.

Once you burn your recorded programs to DVD, how do you go about transforming it into a standard video format such as .avi? I want to be able to play my recorded shows on Windows Media Player on my Pocket PC.
clemson96 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-01-2004, 04:10 PM   #337 (Print)
alexcue

Try this site www.videohelp.com

Moderators if this is forbidden my apologies... (never know where the gray line is...)

Old 11-01-2004, 04:12 PM   #338 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

My assumption is that (since playback on other, more convenient PCs/laptops is a major touted feature), playing back on various computers may be possible.

I'd wait and see how this pans out, although I'm an eternal optimist

I wouldn't subscribe to sonyplanet's extreme, pessimistic point of view. He makes it sound like it'll end up being a non-feature. I seriously doubt that.

Old 11-02-2004, 10:50 AM   #339 (Print)
SonyPlanet
Early Adopter

Do you seriously think they're going to let us share video all over the Internet?
Old 11-04-2004, 03:06 AM   #340 (Print)
jbd1962

dvd burn time

Do either the new Toshiba RS-TX20, RS-TX60 or Humax DRT800 burn tivo recordings faster than real time? If so what speed are you getting?
jbd1962 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2004, 07:59 AM   #341 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by SonyPlanet
Do you seriously think they're going to let us share video all over the Internet?

nope, just to the 10 TiVos and PCs we setup under one account. I have two TiVo's in my account - may add my Dad with one more TiVo - that leaves me 7 more to go - I suspect I will add 3 PCs to my account list.

the whole idea of TiVo doing DRM is precisely so the shows do not end up all over the internet becasue of TiVo functionality and TiVo gets a threat of being sued.

clemson96 - TiVo has said they will use windows media player to do the rights management part of TiVoToGo. Their will be a "desktop" client involved to simply view the shows. It has a good chance of working on your pocketPC out of the box. TiVo has implied that one of their goals with this is to support portable video players. I think they will support portables as that will be a huge selling point. It gives SonyPlanet a better chance to watch his PPV before it gets deleted
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2004, 01:42 PM   #342 (Print)
SonyPlanet
Early Adopter

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
nope, just to the 10 TiVos and PCs we setup under one account. I have two TiVo's in my account - may add my Dad with one more TiVo - that leaves me 7 more to go - I suspect I will add 3 PCs to my account list.

the whole idea of TiVo doing DRM is precisely so the shows do not end up all over the internet becasue of TiVo functionality and TiVo gets a threat of being sued.

clemson96 - TiVo has said they will use windows media player to do the rights management part of TiVoToGo. Their will be a "desktop" client involved to simply view the shows. It has a good chance of working on your pocketPC out of the box. TiVo has implied that one of their goals with this is to support portable video players. I think they will support portables as that will be a huge selling point. It gives SonyPlanet a better chance to watch his PPV before it gets deleted

Like I said... dark times. And if the Windows Media Player rumor is true, this would leave out Mac users, another mistake. (I use both.) We already have the flexibility of watching TiVo shows wherever we want. We get it with DVD burning. What we need is a way to archive and edit our recordings on the computer for our collections, and a way to put them back on the TiVo (or watch them from the TiVo).

I'm much more likely to burn a PPV movie onto DVD with my Pioneer TiVo and take it into the minivan or my laptop (or ANYONE's laptop or DVD player) than I will be likely to mess with crippled computer files.

The sooner the studios realize freely distributable content is good for promotion of their products, the better we'll all be. Kazaa and Napster helped sell MORE music, not less, because they promoted lower-quality samples of material, inspiring purchases. Radio works the same way.

TiVo isn't alone in using DRM. HDCP is gonna hit us hard. Say goodbye to doing what you want with a lot of HD content.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:51 PM   #343 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Yep, Napster showed how people love MP3s and pushed and prodded the music industy to figure out a way to sell MP3s like the consumer wanted. But they use DRM and I have seen no end of the world or MP3 players or content like you predict. You actually seem as reactionary as the MPAA just for the flip side.

The only thing that will go away is the free lunch of recording a PPV and taking it to a friends house for you to watch a second time with him, etc...
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-21-2004, 12:51 PM   #344 (Print)
thomaslue

I finally got my Toshivo and I love it.

Question: I thought the fan was going to be noisy....but it's not the fan, it's the hard drive, which seems to be constantly busy with normal hard drive noises...like it's optimizing.

We have the unit in our bedroom and we are tired of hearing that noise...
Is it OK to unplug the unit at night?
I realize it won't be able to record or call in if it has no power, but that's OK with us.
thomaslue is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-21-2004, 01:10 PM   #345 (Print)
alanpgh

All I can say is that I love my RS-TX20. It is so easy to use, and I can copy videos to DVD as a background activity.

I would like to be able to boost the video signal a bit from the output as the signal is a little dark. But, it is okay. Does anyone else have this problem. Is there a signal amplifier I can buy or is there an adjustment on the unit?

Also, I hear the hard drive optimizing, but this is not a problem in my family room. I did not hear the hard drive on my Sony SVR2000 Tivo Series 1 unit.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan
alanpgh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-21-2004, 01:21 PM   #346 (Print)
guster

Send a message via Yahoo to guster
Im experiencing the same problem you are alanpgh. I have a directv sytem with a hughes s-video satellite box. The output is definitely darker than what I am used to with my previous cable system and it does affect the quality of my recordings. Adjusting the brightness and contrast on the t.v. does not make it better.

As for the signal booster, I found an inline coax cable booster by RCA and placed it between the connection of the dish and the sat box, but it had no noticeable effect. Now im thinking of just purchasing a new Sat. box but that would be expensive and Im still not sure it will solve the problem. Does anybody else have any suggestions? Would a video processor work?
guster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2004, 03:34 PM   #347 (Print)
abadan

Quote:
Originally posted by alanpgh
I would like to be able to boost the video signal a bit from the output as the signal is a little dark. But, it is okay. Does anyone else have this problem. Is there a signal amplifier I can buy or is there an adjustment on the unit?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

A signal amplifier would not help. This is a sign of TV tuner in Toshiba not being of high quality. They had to cut corners to make these units cheap/reasonable.
abadan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2004, 08:39 PM   #348 (Print)
pernar

I purchased the Humax box at Sam's last Saturday.

This thing kicks my DirecTivo's ass up and down PVR lane. The home media stuff is really cool, and I burned some garbage to the DVD just to try it out. . works great! It came with a TDK DVD-RW.. disappointing because my PC's burner is DVD+ instead of DVD-, but oh well. Media is cheap enough now. My wife loves it because it replaced two boxes (old Tosh DVD player + DirecTivo) with one.

Maybe I went overboard, but I bought the lifetime sub. At the bare minimum, I can easily see myself getting my money's worth, and hopefully come out ahead. It's for the main family room TV, so I don't really care about HD there yet. That's for my future projection unit in the basement, and I don't care about Tivo down there..
pernar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post