Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2005, 11:28 PM   #31 (Print)
bdlucas
Axiomatic

Wow. Great ending. But very depressing. I think I'll just go kill myself now. (Just kidding...)

I liked the comment on that scene from the NY Times review: "The aging makeup, unfortunately, turned all of them into characters from 'Cocoon' or Miss Havisham, with spectral expressions and white flyaway hair."
bdlucas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-21-2005, 11:44 PM   #32 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Fofer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinBear
Billy & Ted's conversation about the Fishers hooking up the day one of their relatives died.

I didn't think about it until you mentioned it, but in fact... they did re-connect on the day of her mother's funeral... interesting foreshadowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latenight
Surprised no one mentioned it but did anyone notice David and Keiths elder son holding hands with a man during Claires wedding.

That seemed to me like it was supposed to be the younger foster son. (The older one was on the right, with an hispanic (?) wife, and child.) That was an unexpected and charming twist. But it fit well and was handled with class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchel
I'm going to have to go rewatch the ending montage in slo mo to see all the things there to see...wasn't George with a black woman at a wedding?

No... last we saw of him was at Ruth's funeral. The older dude with the black woman (in the background at Claire's wedding) wasn't George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnorman
Looks like Dave has a new partner after Keith was shot.

I saw that guy sitting next to him eating at the picnic, and thought the same thing, but it wasn't made 100% clear. He was just eating... it's not like they were holding hands or anything. Who knows. Another loose end, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone526
One knock one the forwards, I didn't think the aging make-up was done very well.

Wow, I thought the exact opposite. They looked older but remained recognizable. I think viewers might be so "used" to seeing them in one way that any makeup or alteration is especially jarring. I didn't see it as overdone at all.

That said...

I am still numb from the last 10 minutes of this finale. After the dinner, when they toasted Nate... I was prepared for closure. When Claire dreamed of Nate singing that song, "I just want to celebrate... another day of LIFE!" ...

...I was prepared for the closing credits.

...and then Claire said goodbye.

And got in her car.

And drove.

That closing montage... of every family member's final moments. Wow. I can honestly say I have never been affected quite as profoundly by a TV show as I was by this episode. These last few 6FU episodes have really hit me. Hard.

And tonight, I was transfixed. Keith's death... my mouth was agape. Ruth slipping away... Rico too, after a long life of success...

I was bawling like a baby.

I'm watching it again now. I'm stunned. So very sad. And yet strangely inspired.

"You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone."
Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #33 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

LOL... a final thought... some 6FU haters (and fans) had expressed hope that in the finale, everyone in the Fisher family would just up a die already.

Looks like they got their wish.

What. A. Great. Ending.

That's the stuff right there.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:50 PM   #34 (Print)
Spire
Spire Refrigeration

The ending also reminded me of a sort of similar thing that was done, to somewhat similar effect, in a certain Tom Tykwer movie.

I wonder if Alan Ball was inspired in any way by it.

Last edited by Melody Chalis : Today at 03:47 AM.
Spire is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-21-2005, 11:59 PM   #35 (Print)
kjnorman
Enjoying being a Dad

Watching the last 15 minutes again, live on HBO West.... (and rerecording because I already deleted my fist TiVo recording).

Still dweling on those last 10 minutes...
kjnorman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 12:12 AM   #36 (Print)
zalusky

Any notice Alan Poul in the audience between two of the characters in one of the weddings!

2 HDVR2 + 2 HR10-250
zalusky is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 12:15 AM   #37 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky
Any notice Alan Poul in the audience between two of the characters in one of the weddings!

I saw him and thought he looked familiar... I guess I recognized him from the "Six Feet Under 2001-2005" retrospective that aired earlier this week.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:17 AM   #38 (Print)
jschuur
TV-holic

Send a message via ICQ to jschuur
Another minor bit: the priest during Keith & David's wedding says 'by the power vested in my by the state of California'.

"There's too many forensics shows on TV." - Gil Grissom
jschuur is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 12:19 AM   #39 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Claire's sleeping.

(Ghost of) Nate: "Hey, get up! C'mon, everybody's waitin'!"

(The title of this episode was "Everyone's Waiting.")

Yep, everyone's waiting, that's for sure... waiting to die.

Last edited by Fofer : 08-22-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:19 AM   #40 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuur
Another minor bit: the priest during Keith & David's wedding says 'by the power vested in my by the state of California'.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:41 AM   #41 (Print)
jschuur
TV-holic

Perhaps the final statement this series made is that you can go through such turmoil like Claire did these past few seasons and still have 80 years of life ahead of you (complete with ups and downs).

Old 08-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #42 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic
I did love Billy literally talking Brenda to death.

I just watched it again, he's in his futuristic smock clothing... is he talking about TED?

Tell me he's still not over Claire, in 2051?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:19 AM   #43 (Print)
spikedavis

Man...what a beautiful, moving sendoff to a great show.

Wow. I've never wept that much at a TV show in my life...

Old 08-22-2005, 01:29 AM   #44 (Print)
oski87
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen
A couple of other things I noticed in the flashforwards. Maya had her monkey on her lap at David and Keith's wedding, so Brenda's mother's attempt to replace it didn't quite work. Also the name of the security company that Keith was working for was "Charles Security", so I am assuming that he owned the company.

I thought Keiths death was highly unrealistic. If he did in fact own the security company, he sure as hell would not be riding in the back of an armored truck! And I can't imagine an old dudw having that role under any circumstances.

The 'here's to Nate' dinner scene reminded me of too many other scenes in other shows. But I loved the death retrospective (except for Keiths...)
oski87 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 01:56 AM   #45 (Print)
jschuur
TV-holic

While searching for the closing song (as previously mentioned here, 'Breath Me' by Sia), I couldn't help but notice the similarity between the final scene and the cover from the second soundtrack for the show. Claire drives off into the sunset, albeit in a slightly more environmentally concious car:

PS: You can't buy it as a single on iTunes. Grrr!

Old 08-22-2005, 02:15 AM   #46 (Print)
Idearat

I now forgive them for the occaisional sucky episode the last couple seasons. I can't think of a better final episode for a series. While it happened as many speculated that we'd see everyone die, they all got to live to a ripe old age. Glad Ruth never cut off her hair like an old lady.

When they talked about Claire driving to NY I wondered what kind of car she'd got. I should have known it would be the environmental poster child. She had a bumper sticker on the back, wish we'd seen what it said. ( Didn't look like a ribbon of the week )

As the show ran to 60 mins or so I kept thinking that each fade to white was the end. Then I was pleasently surprised there was a bit more each time, and that each additional nugget was even better than the last.

Rome had better be good, otherwise I'll be pulling the plug on HBO while waiting for Curb Your Enthusiasm to start.
Idearat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 02:57 AM   #47 (Print)
pcgrrll
Just call me jelly

I just finished watching for the second time tonight. I think I was bawling worse the second time around.

What an incredibly powerful, moving, and perfect ending for a fabulous show.

I'm sad to see it end.
pcgrrll is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 06:13 AM   #48 (Print)
cheerdude

Dang... I gave up on SFU after the first ep or 2 of the 2nd season... looks like I missed out on some good stuff.

Any idea is HBO is going to rerun everything... or do I need to put down some $ for the DVDs

And... did every character have the same type of "tombstone" that was with the other deaths shown at the begining of the episode?

You are coming to Vegas in late June.... right?

Last edited by cheerdude : 08-22-2005 at 06:18 AM.
cheerdude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 06:37 AM   #49 (Print)
503Blunts

"I think she's blind" - nate

That line had me crackin up.

Very cool ending. It was cool to see all calires pictures in the end. Very timeless.
503Blunts is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 07:09 AM   #50 (Print)
TiVo'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 503Blunts
"I think she's blind" - nate

That line had me crackin up.

I was wondering if a lot of those very negative comments attributed to Nate by the focal character were really made by the character themself. (I think in psychological terms, it's called transference.)

Old 08-22-2005, 07:32 AM   #51 (Print)
Hank
Custom User Title

Ok, the last montage did get me a little emotional to see all these people we've come to know die (despite what I may said in a previous thread). Very powerful and well done. Everything ends, everyone dies. Very sad to face that - being it TV or real life.

I also thought for a few moments that Willa had died at the beginning of the show with the white washout. I'm not sure if they knew or intended for that to confuse people.

I watched the ending montage three or four times to get all the nuances and tidbits most of which are already mentioned above. One thing I find strange is did Ted come back to see Claire 20 years later at the Ruth's funeral? Romantic, sure.. but not really realistic, IMHO. I would like to have seen how Maggie's live ended up, but I realize she's a secondary character.

And I don't know what the problem was with Dave buying out Rico. If the house was worth 2 mil, they could have gotten a $500K mortgage from the bank against that equity in no time flat. Problem solved, without requiring all the "savings" from David and/or Keith. And along those lines, it's clear that this was written and taped in California, since the term "In Escrow" was used twice to indicate that properties were "under agreement". I'm assuming that's the term used in CA, but I've never seen it used anywhere else. And while accurate to CA, I'm sure a large percentage of the country had no idea what an "In Escrow" sign meant. They could have used "Pending Sale" and everyone would have known the point they were trying to get across.

I recorded this in HD on my cable box DVR instead of Tivo, so just to make sure there weren't any interruptions, I cleared out the Tivo's To Do list for the evening, so there weren't any unexpected channel changes. (And trying to record also on Tivo doesn't work well, since it captures any pauses, etc from the cable DVR, and in the past, when Tivo does the final channel change, it screws up the DVR Recording). Well, at 10PM Tivo decided to record a suggestion, and I was about 10 minutes behind real time on the PVR. I was able to correct the situation, but not without losing whatever happened between seeing the new video game room and the Nate toast at dinner. Not much, but still, it was a PIA. I'll probably re-record it tonight.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:07 AM   #52 (Print)
kevostl
Irish-Im!

Send a message via AIM to kevostl Send a message via Yahoo to kevostl
WOW! As others have said.. GREAT ending.

Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome. That's what momma always said. She says that beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning. "Hope Floats"
kevostl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 08:10 AM   #53 (Print)
Marco
Sua Sponte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien
I was wondering if a lot of those very negative comments attributed to Nate by the focal character were really made by the character themself. (I think in psychological terms, it's called transference.)

Yeah, Nate was really bothering me ... but then I decided all the negative stuff "Nate" was saying was really originating from Brenda's head.

Note the scene toward the end where Nate Jr. holds Willa with Nate Sr. standing by, "she's beautiful" ("perfect"? can't remember exactly), then hands Brenda the baby ... then Brenda wakes up from her dream.

Mad thunder points to Marco. -- IndyJones1023
TC Fantasy Hockey Champion, 2005-06
Marco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 08:11 AM   #54 (Print)
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Very touching ending. I couldn't help but think of this song by Paul Simon. Here are the closing lyrics:

We work our jobs
We earn our pay
We think we're gliding down the highway
When in fact we're slip sliding away
Slip sliding away
Slip sliding away
You know the nearer your destination
The more you're slip sliding away.

PS. Since this episode is also the death of the series, the end credits were black letters over a white background instead of the other way around.

Last edited by jamesbobo : 08-22-2005 at 08:48 AM.
jamesbobo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 08:19 AM   #55 (Print)
mrpantstm
Well aren't you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkamer
Keith got shafted in the death department, methinks.

I thought Federico got the shaft. Yeah he was on a cruise ship (of the future!) but it was a very far off shot. Also, we really are left with him being bought out (presumably) and going on his way. No idea how the Diaz family works out.

When we saw Maggie at the doctors we both thought, another kid. But now that you mention it, I think she might have been there for other reasons. Although I thought she did something with a museum?
mrpantstm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #56 (Print)
kjnorman
Enjoying being a Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuur
PS: You can't buy it as a single on iTunes. Grrr!

You can on Yahoo! Unlimited. There, that'll teach iPod lovers! Sorry, I couldn;t resist

I was still dwelling on the final montage on my drive to work this morning. Wow.
kjnorman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 08:39 AM   #57 (Print)
Mr.Scarface

FYI: At Claire's wedding, it was the Older of the 2 boys that had a wife and kid. The younger one had a "partner".
Mr.Scarface is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #58 (Print)
tbone526
*Clever title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oski87
The 'here's to Nate' dinner scene reminded me of too many other scenes in other shows.

It didn't remind me of other shows, it reminded me of sitting around the dinner table with my brothers, aunts and uncles after my mother's death when I was 22. I felt it was extremely well done and appropriate. It's truly a part of the healing process, coming to the realization that it's all right to talk about someone after they died, sharing your memories with others and being comforted by how they touched so many people's lives. The person may be gone, but you'll forever see their influence around you.
tbone526 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-22-2005, 08:56 AM   #59 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien

Yes, over on this page Kate Robin, one of the "Six Feet Under" writer/producers explains that the dead are expressing the thoughts/fears of the living in those scenes. Makes sense, since they are often erratic or cruel, and come across differently to each person they interact with:

Quote:
Lisa shows up and articulates everything that's been brewing within Brenda, which is always the case with the dead appearing. They're the manifestations of the character's own dark side. It's Brenda attacking Brenda. The actors often find it very difficult to play themselves dead, because they're not really playing their characters. Lili had some problems with some of the dialogue in the original draft of this scene-there were things that were really harsh and horrible and she just couldn't connect Lisa to the harshness. We ended up doing a re-shoot and I gave the line to Brenda directly.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #60 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
I also thought for a few moments that Willa had died at the beginning of the show with the white washout. I'm not sure if they knew or intended for that to confuse people.

Well, this episode didn't begin with an intro death scene. I was thinking the same... when I saw the white card, I held my breath, but was relieved that it just recorded her birth and not her death.

Quote:
I would like to have seen how Maggie's live ended up, but I realize she's a secondary character.

Yeah, in capsulizing death I think they chose to focus on solely the characters we met in the first episode. I am wondering about Maggie and that doctor's office though...

We also don't see how Billy died or Olivier or Maya or Willa or others.

The ending was shocking yet classy without going over the top ... very well done IMHO.