Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #1 (Print)
Hartley

Best tactile button universal remotes?

Glad I found this forum of dedicated enthusiasts! I have a question that I hope the experts here can easily help with and that is:

What is considered the top tactile button universal remotes?

I know this is a subjective question but is there a consensus of the best tactile button universal remotes out there? I've recently purchased a Plasma TV and now need to control it's HD inputs along with my receivers inputs for everything else. Channel surfing and the Tivo guide function is likely the most import considerations though.

Recommendations for under $100 and over $100 is very appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!!!

Last edited by Hartley : 12-11-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Hartley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2005, 08:53 PM   #2 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

I use the very inexpensive URC-6131 universal remote (<$20).

Old 12-11-2005, 09:08 PM   #3 (Print)
buddhawood

Universal Remote Control MX-500 10-Device Home Theater Master Universal Learning Remote with LCD $85 or less
buddhawood is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2005, 09:16 PM   #4 (Print)
Edmund
Remote Guru

URC has two new non-pc programmable remotes, the urc-R5G & R7G.
Edmund is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #5 (Print)
WO312

The Universal Remote MX-700 is fantastic. Google it and you can find it for less than $200.
WO312 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2005, 12:26 AM   #6 (Print)
PhantomDilbert

Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomDilbert
I like Logitech's harmony 880, also received the much desired WAF award (wife acceptance factor). While she typically opposes such expenditures, she actually really thought this was a wise investment. This was an upgrade from the Marantz markII?

I am running a hdtv that switches between svideo, dvd component, and hd component inputs, av amplifier that does switching for tivo and vcr, dvd player, and hd digital cable box.

Harmony can be found a tad under $200 on ebay and some etailers.
PhantomDilbert is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2005, 01:11 AM   #7 (Print)
Jotas
Got TV?

Send a message via AIM to Jotas
Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomDilbert
I like Logitech's harmony 880, also received the much desired WAF award (wife acceptance factor). While she typically opposes such expenditures, she actually really thought this was a wise investment. This was an upgrade from the Marantz markII?

I am running a hdtv that switches between svideo, dvd component, and hd component inputs, av amplifier that does switching for tivo and vcr, dvd player, and hd digital cable box.

Ditto, although my wife is finally coming around herself, especially when I can tell her to push the help button to resolve an issue.
Jotas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #8 (Print)
bomberjim

Best bet is to go to http://www.remotecentral.com/. Read the reviews (including user) try the "clicker picker", lurk in the forums. This place is the Mecca for anything involving home theater remote controls.

Jim L
bomberjim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #9 (Print)
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhawood
Universal Remote Control MX-500 10-Device Home Theater Master Universal Learning Remote with LCD $85 or less

Totally agree with the MX500 choice. I like it so much, I have 3 of 'em.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #10 (Print)
JasonD

I agree the MX500 rocks. I own two of them, its built so tough I can't even pry the damn thing apart to look inside

Its kind of like the mad max of remotes, hefty, powerful, and it sports an intimidating dual output diode emiters.

jason

P.S. I just have to add programming the thing is fun, you feel like your doing a Vulcan mind transfer with the thing. I often sit and just marvel at the power of the thing, and to think I'm holding it in my hand. And the best thing it bosses around my Tivo just fine.

Last edited by JasonD : 12-13-2005 at 05:16 PM.
JasonD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2005, 02:49 PM   #11 (Print)
bobharp

Harmony 676. It's peanut shaped!

bobharp is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #12 (Print)
DonRoeber

I bought a MX-500 a few years ago after having tried and returned several more expensive remotes. It's fantastic. Very powerful, easy to setup, and easy for family members to use.

My wife calls it "The Stick of Power"
DonRoeber is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2005, 10:42 PM   #13 (Print)
Miliock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomDilbert

Couldn't agree more! I thought it would be crazy to spend $200 on a remote, but after setting up the new entertainment system (lcd tv, HD box, tivo, dvd, surround sound) I was using 7 remotes and the wife was getting annoyed just trying to watch TV. Bought the Harmony 880 as a early xmas gift for both of us. Took me less than an hour to setup and I have a button that sets everything for Tivo, one for watch HD, etc etc. me and the wife are happY!!!
Miliock is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 07:31 AM   #14 (Print)
dsb411

Send a message via AIM to dsb411 Send a message via Yahoo to dsb411
I have the Harmony 688, actually 2 of em. Works great. Can be found way cheaper now that the 880 is out. Personally dont care if my remote has colored pictures.

Xbox360 (I like my games in Hi-def, wish my tivos were)
I like my stuff, please dont rob my house.
dsb411 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 07:47 AM   #15 (Print)
stujac
Blue Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhawood

What he said!!
stujac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 AM   #16 (Print)
cbordman
PP-ASEL

Send a message via AIM to cbordman
From my experiences:

Marantz RC2000 MKII
Radio Shack 15-2116 & 2117

Old 12-14-2005, 03:54 PM   #17 (Print)
crunch3k

Does the MX-500 have a 30 sec-skip button? I'm looking at it and the closest thing I see is also labled "menu" right above it...???
crunch3k is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #18 (Print)
Stephen Tu

On the MX-500, I use the >>| chapter skip key for jump forward/30 sec skip. I use "prev ch." as the menu key for all my devices since I don't need that function much; alternatively you could put the menu key on the LCD. Or you could put the skip on the LCD if you prefer.
Stephen Tu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 06:11 PM   #19 (Print)
Edmund
Remote Guru

Edmund is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 10:26 PM   #20 (Print)
Hartley

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I ended up getting a Harmony 659 but exchanged it for the 676.

The 659 was great sized but the FF/RW buttons were all the way at the bottom of the remote so it made TIVO a pain to fast forward or rewind. It was also super smooth so somewhat slippery.

The 676 is the same sized but has a rubber coating which makes is much easier to hold. It also has all the important functions located in the middle of the remote which makes one handed operation super easy.

I'd recommend this remote without hesitation and it can be found readily online for about $100. I think it's better than the Tivo peanut.
Hartley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 11:03 PM   #21 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

I have used SONY RM-VL900 for the last four years and they have been great. SONY does have a new 5 device remote, the RM-VL710, which some people find ugly, but based upon reviews I have read, it has a great feel and has even greater learning capability than even the RM-VL900's, plus it is very inexpensive. You might want to go over to Remote Central and check it out. They have good reviews on almost every add-on remote ever made.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 12:51 PM   #22 (Print)
jlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjim
Best bet is to go to http://www.remotecentral.com/. Read the reviews (including user) try the "clicker picker", lurk in the forums. This place is the Mecca for anything involving home theater remote controls.

Jim L

I second this.

You seem set on tactile buttons. Why? Do you prefer them, or have you heard that many people prefer them? If you are not sure, then remote central is a great place to start.

I have the original Philips Pronto TS1000. It's a mix of touchscreen and a few buttons around the screen. I love it. Of course, that could be because I got it free (used) from the home theater store I used to work at part time. But I do like the ease of use of the Pronto Edit software. It also works great with my two TiVos in one room (though for that I did have to set separate remote addresses on the Peanut first, and then teach the pronto the old way for both sets of code before I could save the configuration to my PC).

What I would do, given that any set of reviews on any website, even one as thorough as remotecentral, could be biased based on the number of reviews, or that people only post when they like/dislike, is this:

1) check out remote central and find the remotes that "sound" like they might work for you.

2) Then go to a store (most likely high end) that has these remotes (or one or some) programmed for use of the equipment in the store and test the remotes out. You just may not inderstand how good or bad a remote is for you until you try them out.

3) Make sure that wherever you buy a remote from that they have a satisfaction guarantee.

------------------
4) Assuming you buy a remote where you get to do some programming, always keep a pen and paper in your viewing room.....for a brief while until you nail down your config file, you will keep finding things you need to fix or tweak, and you'll forget them if you don't write them down right away. Trust me on this one!

Old 12-29-2005, 03:14 AM   #23 (Print)
blue25

We also considered tactile buttons, but I wasn't willing to spend $200 for a remote. So, we purchased illmunated RCR815 Learning Remote from RCA. We found it in Walmart and it cost $18.50. It allows you to program up to 8 devices and 34 functions per each device. It also has a macro function that you can record for shortcuts. In addition, with the learning mode we recorded all the Tivo remote functions, including Thumbs Up/Down. No problem accessing any channels or functions, including VOD. By the way, we have Tivo Series 2 (TCD540040), Comcast digital cable box, Philips Magnavox TV, Venturer DVD player (plays all DVD+/-R) plus 5 speakers and a sub, and it all works very well, no issues at all.
blue25 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post