July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-26-2005, 12:46 PM   #1 (Print)
CJOakwood

Exclamation DirecTv moving away from TIVO

Morning All -

I was just told from a very close buddy of mine that DirecTV is starting to phase out TIVO DVRs with their own version of DVRs.

Any truth to this?

I am in the process of switching from standard cable to DirecTV however will not do this if my option for TIVO goes away.
CJOakwood is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2005, 01:58 PM   #2 (Print)
Rax

Send a message via ICQ to Rax
What DirecTV does shouldn't influence your decision. You wouldn't want to use the TiVo unit you have now anyway.
Rax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 12:14 AM   #3 (Print)
raffaelli

I have Tivo for DirectTV. We will soon upgrade to HD. We would like to get a Tivo for DirectTV HD. Not gonna happen?

We had Tivo with out cable service and we hated the downgrade from Tivo for directTV to just Tivo. Are we going to have to live with it?
raffaelli is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 07:17 AM   #4 (Print)
Steve1212

Send a message via AIM to Steve1212 Send a message via Yahoo to Steve1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli
I have Tivo for DirectTV. We will soon upgrade to HD. We would like to get a Tivo for DirectTV HD. Not gonna happen?

We had Tivo with out cable service and we hated the downgrade from Tivo for directTV to just Tivo. Are we going to have to live with it?

Get the HR10-250 its Tivo with HD. 30hr HD with 200hr SD.

Steve1212 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #5 (Print)
Jon J
Yes. I did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOakwood
Morning All -

I was just told from a very close buddy of mine that DirecTV is starting to phase out TIVO DVRs with their own version of DVRs.

Any truth to this?
The darn search function must be broken again.

Old 12-27-2005, 03:04 PM   #6 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

You can get an HR10-250, until they become obsolete by MPEG4
(In theory, as long as they continue to support the DirecTV TiVo DVRs and MPEG2 SD, you could continue to use it for a while).

If you want an HD TiVo for the future, you likely want to look into the Cablecard TiVo.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 06:34 PM   #7 (Print)
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOakwood
I am in the process of switching from standard cable to DirecTV however will not do this if my option for TIVO goes away.
Your option for Tivo is still there in the form of DTivos still in dealer stock and lots of them via eBay. If you think you would ever want to 'hack' your box to enable networked features (not DirecTV provided, but many people enable them anyway) then don't get an R10 Series 2 DTivo box - get instead another Series 2 DirecTivo unit (there are lots of them, nearly all the same on the inside but with various names on the outside - Hughes, RCA, Samsung, etc). IMHO, buy on the functionality you want/can get today, don't worry about the fact that DirecTV has switched to their own non-Tivo DVR box. Similarly, millions still use Win2k/Win98/Win95 every day despite the rollout of Windows XP.

DirecTV would be industrial-strength stupid to disable operation of the millions of DirecTivos that until just a few weeks ago were their standard DVR offering. Many DirecTivo owners are planning on keeping them for a long, long time. Example: Ultimate TV units have not been sold by DirecTV for years but they are still functional with DirecTV service. Some of us have even purchased 'spares' (I have two extra S2 DTivos in case one of my 3 operational units conks out).

Get a Series 2 DirecTivo and you'll get your money's worth out of it - they still have rebates available if you don't mind agreeing to specific-term length subscriber contract. (I switched from Dish Network 4+ years ago and I'll not be going to cable or Dish Network so a contract is no big deal to me. DirecTivo users are some of the most loyal DBS customers in the industry.)

Another factor is owner upgrade of recording space - any of the Series 2 (including the R10) can be expanded easily with commodity hard drives that are often found on sale. The new DirecTV SD (standard def) R15 DVR cannot currently have its recording capacity expanded by the user; the future capability of doing this is an unknown.

Simple upgrade of recording capacity or enabling network features aren't black art; there are a number of helpful guides and info available in these TC forums and in other locations on the internet.

Last edited by goony : 12-27-2005 at 06:49 PM.
goony is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 04:01 PM   #8 (Print)
unixadm
Super Moderator

People need to be NICE. Read the Forum Rules and guidelines

7. No Flaming - On the Internet, flaming is giving someone a verbal lashing in public. There is to be no flaming of members of this forum, other people, or any company.

1. This is a community. That means that we are many different people making up a single entity. Respect other members of the community and donít belittle, make fun off, or insult another member.

I've removed the offending posts.

To answer the original poster's question, TiVo's contract with DirectTV expires in 2006, and DirecTV has started marketing DVR's that do not have the TiVo software.

That does not mean that they an existing TiVo won't work. I have a DirectTiVo that has been in service since December 2000, and two that have been in service since January 2001, and they will continue to work for the foreseeable future. There just won't be any upgrades to them, but I'm happy with the wya they work currently.

The HR10-250 HD DirectTiVo is a different story. Again, it will work for the future, but will not be able to pick up the new HD channels as DirectTV adds them in the future. DirectTV will be swapping them out for Non-TiVo HD DVR's in the future. There are numerous threads about that.

"I truly fear you!" - JediCowboyD
"Unixadm is right" - mwhip
"wow, you're good" - Brig1977
"[It's] Bad karma to prove a mod wrong." - newsposter
unixadm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 11:17 PM   #9 (Print)
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm
To answer the original poster's question, TiVo's contract with DirectTV expires in 2006, and DirecTV has started marketing DVR's that do not have the TiVo software.

Actually, the contract runs through February 2007.
jfh3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 03:49 PM   #10 (Print)
pfranczak

unixadm:

Thanks for the clear answer - I'm an old DirecTV Series 2 user wanting to upgrade to HDTV. I wonder whether to ditch DirecTV for Comcast, but want to be able to record HDTV without a proprietary PVR. Since MCE doesn't support HDTV other than over-the-air), the only choice is Tivo (maybe Ultimate when they release PC software?).

I was thinking of getting the HR10-250, since it can be upgraded to support networking & more disc space, but the idea of not having access to new HDTV channels kind of sucks. However, for the current channels, maybe not so bad.

So, my question (besides general advice) is - if I get one of thest HR10-250's, do I simply call DirecTV and get a new dish installed (and HD contract)?

Last edited by pfranczak : 12-29-2005 at 08:48 PM.
pfranczak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post